The Shrinking Strike Zone

I think everyone agrees on the consistency part, but I certainly disagree that pitches 6" off the plate or 6" below the knees is an acceptable strike zone just because an individual umpire decides to call it that way. That's why there's a rule book that defines the strike zone and the players go to the plate expecting the umpires to follow the rules.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone agrees on the consistency part, but I certainly disagree that pitches 6" off the plate or 6" below the knees is an acceptable strike zone just because an individual umpire decides to call it that way. That's why there's a rule book that defines the strike zone and the players go to the plate expecting the umpires to follow the rules.

Amen brother! What if football officials took it upon themselves to redefine what a completed pass is?

Amen brother! What if football officials took it upon themselves to redefine what a completed pass is?

Do some football officials call holding different than others? Do some basketball officials call fouls different than others?

Do some football officials call holding different than others? Do some basketball officials call fouls different than others?

Yes, but neither of which are so fundamental to their games as balls & strikes are to baseball.

Yes, but neither of which are so fundamental to their games as balls & strikes are to baseball.

Agreed. And I'm very much against the moving strike zone (in fact, I'm in favor of Major League Baseball using K-Zone instead of an umpire for balls and strikes). I was simply pointing out that every sport has its wiggle room for officiating.

Agreed. And I'm very much against the moving strike zone (in fact, I'm in favor of Major League Baseball using K-Zone instead of an umpire for balls and strikes). I was simply pointing out that every sport has its wiggle room for officiating.

Duly noted. I also dislike the inconsistent nature of holding calls in football. The threshold for holding by offensive players in the NFL gets much tighter in the last two minutes of each game than it was in the previous 58.

They're not????? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the offense lose 5 or 10 yards when a holding penalty is assesed? Doesn't a player in basketball get ONLY 5 fouls? How many pitches does a batter get? If he goes to the plate 5 times a game and sees 6-8 pitches per AB, isn't that 30-40 pitches? So in your terms of thinking, ONE pitch-call is more important that a foul in basketball? And one pitch-call is more important than giving up 5-10 yards on a football field?

They're not????? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the offense lose 5 or 10 yards when a holding penalty is assesed? Doesn't a player in basketball get ONLY 5 fouls? How many pitches does a batter get? If he goes to the plate 5 times a game and sees 6-8 pitches per AB, isn't that 30-40 pitches? So in your terms of thinking, ONE pitch-call is more important that a foul in basketball? And one pitch-call is more important than giving up 5-10 yards on a football field?

No, one pitch-call is not more important than one foul in basketball, but a poorly called strike zone GENERALLY has a larger impact on the outcome of that game than does one penalty in basketball. There's just no equivalent in football or basketball of the pitch-call in baseball. Think about it. What percent of plays in any football game involve a called penalty? I'm not sure, but I'd guess between 10 & 20%. 100% of pitched balls are judged good/no-good. It's apples vs. oranges.

While I agree that I've noticed the strike zone from one umpire to the next is different but that to is part of the game. And all would agree that consistency is the key, and that is what I've asked/told them when I had a chance to talk to one.

Aren't they in need of officials each year? Does anyone know how we can sign up for this thankless job?

While I agree that I've noticed the strike zone from one umpire to the next is different but that to is part of the game. And all would agree that consistency is the key, and that is what I've asked/told them when I had a chance to talk to one.

Aren't they in need of officials each year? Does anyone know how we can sign up for this thankless job?

Agreed, consistency is the key. But it has to be consistently good!

As for signing up, I'm sure the information is on the KHSAA website. And it can be a thankless job. But every guy who worked a game at our school this year was really nice, very professional, and worked hard, and they were always awarded with a handshake and a "job well done" when the night was over. Oh, and each walked home with at least $100 every night, depending on whether it was varsity, junior varsity, etc.