Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rod Strickland picked up for DUI

Featured Replies

In the post I quoted, you said: "Or as mcpappa pointed out, it's just the first time he's been caught in 9 years." You can't assume such a thing, and you can't make a decision about firing someone based on such an assumption.

 

 

 

And good grief! Why am I defending a UK basketball coach? :ohbrother:

 

 

No you fire the coach based on this latest arrest. I thought that was understood, and the only reason I can think of you defending him is because you don't want Payne to coach at UK. :lol:

  • Replies 124
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is ridiculous. Im a college student and drink very often but would never drink and drive. I have slept in my car, walked for miles to get home, and even tried the captain morgan pizza delivery commercial(they wouldnt give me a ride for insurance reasons) I dont see why people of his status would chance it.

In the post I quoted, you said: "Or as mcpappa pointed out, it's just the first time he's been caught in 9 years." You can't assume such a thing, and you can't make a decision about firing someone based on such an assumption.

 

 

 

And good grief! Why am I defending a UK basketball coach? :ohbrother:

I think regardless of who he is a coach for, you are right. I have employees who work for me. I can't just fire them because they have DUI's. There are labor laws. I am not sure what UK's stance is on this. They may have restrictions in the contracts on getting DUI's, with their personnel.

I can't see Rod getting fired, he's got some good connections that UK should not want to lose. I don't think he should be fired either. Are other people fired when they get a DUI? Are players always kicked out of school? Good grief the man made a mistake, it's been stated that it's been nearly a decade since his last one. Who are we to judge someone at a moment of weakness? He will pay the price for his crime but that shouldn't include losing his job IMO.

Good to see the morality police are out in full force on this one....:popcorn:

I can't see Rod getting fired, he's got some good connections that UK should not want to lose. I don't think he should be fired either. Are other people fired when they get a DUI? Are players always kicked out of school? Good grief the man made a mistake, it's been stated that it's been nearly a decade since his last one. Who are we to judge someone at a moment of weakness? He will pay the price for his crime but that shouldn't include losing his job IMO.

Yes, many people are. When you are swinging with multiple strikes and are an ambassador for a University teaching kids, the sympathy talk does not resonate as it would for a first time offender.

I can't see Rod getting fired, he's got some good connections that UK should not want to lose. I don't think he should be fired either. Are other people fired when they get a DUI? Are players always kicked out of school? Good grief the man made a mistake, it's been stated that it's been nearly a decade since his last one. Who are we to judge someone at a moment of weakness? He will pay the price for his crime but that shouldn't include losing his job IMO.

 

Kentucky adopted a zero-tolerance policy back in the late 90's which did not technically "kick players out of school" but its effect was very similar.

Good to see the morality police are out in full force on this one....:popcorn:

 

Good to see that we count ON some folks still having no morals.:popcorn:

 

Heaven forbid someone in your family be killed or injured by a drunk driver.

Don't really care if they fire him or not.

 

I just want to add it was 9 years ago since the last one.

 

Just for perspective, nine years ago:

 

* The World Trade Center Towers were still up.

* George W. had been president all of two 1/2 months

* Enron was still going strong.

* I had not yet turned 40.

* The Beltway sniper had not killed anyone yet.

* Tayshaun Prince was still a player at UK

Don't really care if they fire him or not.

 

I just want to add it was 9 years ago since the last one.

 

Just for perspective, nine years ago:

 

* The World Trade Center Towers were still up.

* George W. had been president all of two 1/2 months

* Enron was still going strong.

* I had not yet turned 40.

* The Beltway sniper had not killed anyone yet.

* Tayshaun Prince was still a player at UK

 

 

How about we really put things into perspective.

 

 

11,773 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes last year. Drunk driving fatalities accounted for 32% of all traffic deaths last year, that is, on average someone is killed in an alcohol-impaired driving crash every 45 minutes in the U.S. (Source: NHTSA/FARS, 2009)

How about we really put things into perspective.

 

 

11,773 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes last year. Drunk driving fatalities accounted for 32% of all traffic deaths last year, that is, on average someone is killed in an alcohol-impaired driving crash every 45 minutes in the U.S. (Source: NHTSA/FARS, 2009)

 

:thumb:

Good to see that we count ON some folks still having no morals.:popcorn:

 

Heaven forbid someone in your family be killed or injured by a drunk driver.

So firing someone from their job will prevent this.:idunno:
How about we really put things into perspective.

 

 

11,773 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes last year. Drunk driving fatalities accounted for 32% of all traffic deaths last year, that is, on average someone is killed in an alcohol-impaired driving crash every 45 minutes in the U.S. (Source: NHTSA/FARS, 2009)

And firing someone from there job would prevent this? Taking a persons job is not going to help any one with their drinking problem, but it may add to it. I don't agree with drinking and driving, but I also don't think someone should lose there job over it.
And firing someone from there job would prevent this? Taking a persons job is not going to help any one with their drinking problem, but it may add to it. I don't agree with drinking and driving, but I also don't think someone should lose there job over it.

 

 

It won't prevent it, but it would keep UK from having a coach on staff that would add to those numbers.

It won't prevent it, but it would keep UK from having a coach on staff that would add to those numbers.

 

:thumb:

 

The other thing it does is send a message that this will not be tolerated. There are consequences for your actions and losing your job could be one of them.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.