Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Rod Strickland picked up for DUI

Featured Replies

Sounds to me like we all have to be the perfect person to be a quality employee in LRCW's eyes. I'm sure glad employers aren't as judgemental as he is.

 

 

Looks to me like you struggle at reading comprehension among other things.

  • Replies 124
  • Views 11.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks to me like you struggle at reading comprehension among other things.

 

You said you felt the same way about the other things RM mentioned. How else is that supposed to be taken?

You said you felt the same way about the other things RM mentioned. How else is that supposed to be taken?

 

 

She asked if I thought those other things would/could affect the way a person performed his job, and I say yes, and listed the ways they could.

I am with LRCW on this one......because of his position and past performance, there shouldn't be any wiggle room for Rod. If a drunk driver kills themselves while driving drunk it is a shame, but should you end up killing or injuring others, then that is tragic, and totally unnecessary with the means and intelligence someone like Coach Strickland possesses. :madman:

The thing that may hurt Hot Rod the most is his past. He has quite the Rap Sheet dating back to his playing career.

I guess I don't look at his job in the same light as some. He' s a basketball coach. In the overall scheme of things, that's all he is. I don't see him as a surrogate father to kids on his team anymore than I see a professor a surrogate for his/ her students. They're people hired to do a job. Tuition doesn't cover teaching kids morals in college. If this is where a parent thinks they'll learn them, then the parent has waited too late.

So you're ok if a person is a "functioning alcoholic" as long as they don't drink and drive?

 

That is so not a fair assessment at all. Do you feel the same about infidelity? What about people with poor credit? For that matter, it's illegal to litter! Is everyone who throws a soda can out the window at risk? What about the guy who speeds? Or those who race through "pink" lights?

 

Human beings are not so simple to pigeonhole, LRCW.

Yes, I can't begin to tell you how many times I've felt my life might be in danger from those who litter. Apples and bowling balls in this argument.

Larry Mahoney never has a DWI. All it takes is one time. This need to be taken serious. But I'm from the Bible belt and hate any kind of hard drinking.

 

Maybe not fire him but ne needs to pay the piper.

I guess I don't look at his job in the same light as some. He' s a basketball coach. In the overall scheme of things, that's all he is. I don't see him as a surrogate father to kids on his team anymore than I see a professor a surrogate for his/ her students. They're people hired to do a job. Tuition doesn't cover teaching kids morals in college. If this is where a parent thinks they'll learn them, then the parent has waited too late.

 

When a young man or woman go to college they can obviously be very influenced. If there is a coach constantly in trouble for drinking it sends the wrong message to these young people. Hes a high profile staff member at the University of Kentucky. This looks bad on the institution and serious action needs to be taken place. It doesn't make it okay to get DUIs just because a person is nothing more than a basketball coach.

 

I'd like to see UK part ways with him, but if we don't he really needs to have to deal with this serious issue he has with drinking and driving.

I would understand if he is fired but I don't think he should be.

Yes, I can't begin to tell you how many times I've felt my life might be in danger from those who litter. Apples and bowling balls in this argument.

 

 

 

The point wasn't about whether he was a danger to others, it was about whether someone who'd gotten a DUI could be trusted to follow policies at work.

 

Different argument. And if we were arguing which was more of a danger to society, then I'd agree with you...unless the litterer was throwing large, heavy objects from their car as they drove down an interstate. :D

The point wasn't about whether he was a danger to others, it was about whether someone who'd gotten a DUI could be trusted to follow policies at work.

 

Different argument. And if we were arguing which was more of a danger to society, then I'd agree with you...unless the litterer was throwing large, heavy objects from their car as they drove down an interstate. :D

 

I think it has more to do with what i've heard (can't confirm) is the code of conduct clause in his contract.

I want to clarify, I do NOT condone drinking and driving. But I am ADAMANTLY against judging a person's future on their past. Yes, in this particular instance, he had several similar incidents in his past, but the best I can tell, 9 years ago was the most recent occurance. I also hate people jumping to conclusions as soon as news breaks. I think it's reactive to the sensationalism, and not a fair way to judge someone.

 

All that said, if his contract has a clearly defined morality clause, then I believe UK has every right to fire him.

 

But I still object to people making judgements on people's "worth" based on their mistakes.

I want to clarify, I do NOT condone drinking and driving. But I am ADAMANTLY against judging a person's future on their past. Yes, in this particular instance, he had several similar incidents in his past, but the best I can tell, 9 years ago was the most recent occurance. I also hate people jumping to conclusions as soon as news breaks. I think it's reactive to the sensationalism, and not a fair way to judge someone.

 

All that said, if his contract has a clearly defined morality clause, then I believe UK has every right to fire him.

 

But I still object to people making judgements on people's "worth" based on their mistakes.

 

Well said, RM. :thumb:

 

The only thing that I would add is that he was in the NBA when he made his original mistakes. It doesn't justify the mistakes, but the NBA is a very different culture than the one we live in.

I want to clarify, I do NOT condone drinking and driving. But I am ADAMANTLY against judging a person's future on their past. Yes, in this particular instance, he had several similar incidents in his past, but the best I can tell, 9 years ago was the most recent occurance. I also hate people jumping to conclusions as soon as news breaks. I think it's reactive to the sensationalism, and not a fair way to judge someone.

 

All that said, if his contract has a clearly defined morality clause, then I believe UK has every right to fire him.

 

But I still object to people making judgements on people's "worth" based on their mistakes.

 

 

 

I don't think anyone has judged a person's worth based on their mistakes. I just feel that there are some things that you can't/shouldn't do according to your job. And it's not limited to mistakes people make. Let me ask you this. How comfortable would you be flying if you knew that the pilot was battling severe depression? Let's say the pilot had attempted suicide a couple of times, should the airline still let him be a pilot?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.