April 12, 201016 yr :thumb: The other thing it does is send a message that this will not be tolerated. There are consequences for your actions and losing your job could be one of them. Shoot, if everyone that got a DUI was fired from their job, unemployment would be a heck of a lot higher than it is today. You might as well end the careers of a large number of athletes as well....Good thing you guys aren't the ones making those decisions.
April 12, 201016 yr Shoot, if everyone that got a DUI was fired from their job, unemployment would be a heck of a lot higher than it is today. You might as well end the careers of a large number of athletes as well....Good thing you guys aren't the ones making those decisions. I do not think anyone is saying that. If this were his first offense, the responses would be much different and you know it. We all realize you have a laissaz-faire approach to anything not bothering yourself, but at what point do you draw the line? The higher your rise, the higher you fall... with great responsibility (in this case enhanced by his past) comes often greater consequences. Just the reality of the situation and how life works. Given the lapse of time but his stature with the University and who he oversees, I am ambivalent about this entire situation.
April 12, 201016 yr Shoot, if everyone that got a DUI was fired from their job, unemployment would be a heck of a lot higher than it is today. You might as well end the careers of a large number of athletes as well....Good thing you guys aren't the ones making those decisions. Everybody that gets a DUI isn't a high paying employee of a state university that has a code of conduct in their contract.
April 12, 201016 yr Everybody that gets a DUI isn't a high paying employee of a state university that has a code of conduct in their contract. That is a huge factor. Strickland knew he had problems in the past and he knew what standards he agreed to live up to when he hired on at UK. He should be suspended immediately and fired with cause if he is convicted period.
April 12, 201016 yr I do not think anyone is saying that. If this were his first offense, the responses would be much different and you know it. We all realize you have a laissaz-faire approach to anything not bothering yourself, but at what point do you draw the line? The higher your rise, the higher you fall... with great responsibility (in this case enhanced by his past) comes often greater consequences. Just the reality of the situation and how life works. Given the lapse of time but his stature with the University and who he oversees, I am ambivalent about this entire situation. How many people do you know that have DUI's? I know a very large number. Not a single one of them have ever been fired from their jobs because of it. And yes, some of them have more than one. My point is, we can't just go out and say they got a DUI, let's fire them. If we approached every situation with that attitude, I'm fairly confident companies would be a lot harder pressed to find quality employees.
April 12, 201016 yr Everybody that gets a DUI isn't a high paying employee of a state university that has a code of conduct in their contract. So should Rey Maluaga be allowed to play this year? Or should the Bengals cut him? Remember, he got a DUI, wrecked his car, and had underage passengers with him at a bar....
April 12, 201016 yr How many people do you know that have DUI's? I know a very large number. Not a single one of them have ever been fired from their jobs because of it. And yes, some of them have more than one. My point is, we can't just go out and say they got a DUI, let's fire them. If we approached every situation with that attitude, I'm fairly confident companies would be a lot harder pressed to find quality employees. Tons of people I know have had DUIs. I do not believe any of them were fired and nor should they be and I have not said as such. However, I have no friends that are coaches at a University as high profile as UK leading young men and trying to set somewhat of an example. And I certainly do not know anyone that has ever been charged with 4 DUIs.
April 12, 201016 yr Tons of people I know have had DUIs. I do not believe any of them were fired and nor should they be and I have not said as such. However, I have no friends that are coaches at a University as high profile as UK leading young men and trying to set somewhat of an example. And I certainly do not know anyone that has ever been charged with 4 DUIs. He doesn't have 4 as was mentioned earlier. He has 2, this would be his 3rd if convicted. The previous ones were during his playing days, when he was in the fast-paced lifestyle of the NBA. He's gone 9 years since his last arrest for one, and is living an entirely different lifestyle. One could easily argue he's not the same person that he was back then, thus this being his 1st. I just don't see the benefit to anyone involved of firing him, unless there have been other incidents that have been swept under the rug since in the past 9 years.
April 12, 201016 yr He doesn't have 4 as was mentioned earlier. He has 2, this would be his 3rd if convicted. The previous ones were during his playing days, when he was in the fast-paced lifestyle of the NBA. He's gone 9 years since his last arrest for one, and is living an entirely different lifestyle. One could easily argue he's not the same person that he was back then, thus this being his 1st. I just don't see the benefit to anyone involved of firing him, unless there have been other incidents that have been swept under the rug since in the past 9 years. I said charged with 4, not convicted of... I hear you, but the the argument could be made he has not matured and is the same person as evidenced by last night's transgressions.
April 12, 201016 yr How many people do you know that have DUI's? I know a very large number. Not a single one of them have ever been fired from their jobs because of it. And yes, some of them have more than one. My point is, we can't just go out and say they got a DUI, let's fire them. If we approached every situation with that attitude, I'm fairly confident companies would be a lot harder pressed to find quality employees. How about the Code of Conduct that he agreed to upon signing his contract? I have seen employess demoted and dismissed from my company after receiving a DUI. Most generally they are given a chance to undergo rehab after one but I don't know of anyone that has received multiple DUIs and not been demoted or dismissed unless they managed to hide them from the company. If Strickland agreed to a Code of Conduct and violated it he should be dismissed.
April 12, 201016 yr How about if he had committed a recruiting violation that resulted in UK not being able to sign Brandon Knight? Would you guys want him fired then?
April 12, 201016 yr How about the Code of Conduct that he agreed to upon signing his contract? I have seen employess demoted and dismissed from my company after receiving a DUI. Most generally they are given a chance to undergo rehab after one but I don't know of anyone that has received multiple DUIs and not been demoted or dismissed unless they managed to hide them from the company. If Strickland agreed to a Code of Conduct and violated it he should be dismissed. Are you saying they were dismissed after multiple DUIs while employeed with the same company? If he signed a contract that contains language regarding dismissal for those types of actions, sure he can be dismissed, but that doesn't mean he has to be.
April 12, 201016 yr How about if he had committed a recruiting violation that resulted in UK not being able to sign Brandon Knight? Would you guys want him fired then? That's one that is directly related to job performance, so while I wouldn't want him to be fired, I would understand if he were. BTW, if he is fired, I think it's the wrong decision, but I understand why.
April 12, 201016 yr Are you saying they were dismissed after multiple DUIs while employeed with the same company? If he signed a contract that contains language regarding dismissal for those types of actions, sure he can be dismissed, but that doesn't mean he has to be. First off it is very, very difficult to get hired at my company with a DUI on your record. I do not know of anyone who has received more than one DUI at my company (that the company found out about) and has not been demoted from an officer's job or dismissed. I'm sure that there are several that have managed to hide the arrests and/or get the charges dismissed. They have the Code of Conduct for a reason. He knew what was expected of him and failed to live up to it. He should be gone if convicted.
April 12, 201016 yr How many people do you know that have DUI's? I know a very large number. Not a single one of them have ever been fired from their jobs because of it. And yes, some of them have more than one. My point is, we can't just go out and say they got a DUI, let's fire them. If we approached every situation with that attitude, I'm fairly confident companies would be a lot harder pressed to find quality employees. Sure sounds like you need to start hanging with a better crowd. I certainly hope you never get into a car with any of them after they've been drinking. I'm not sure how quality of an employee they can be if they can't abide by laws and regulations. If they don't care to break laws about drinking and driving then I'm sure it would be no problem for them to come in to work late, or leave early.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.