March 28, 201016 yr Do you immediately spank them or do you try to talk to them and calm them down first? I thought the T was bad, assuming there were no curse words involved. My twins have been taught how to act, and how not to act. They already know what will get them in trouble. I'm sure the players are warned about sportsmanship before every game. I thought Liggins actions tried to show up the official. You can't do that, and as Bilas stated Curtis Shaw is known to have a quick T.
March 28, 201016 yr I'm not here to argue with anyone, but: 1. I like Katz alot; I met him at Rupp Arena and he was just a normal guy and easy to talk to 2. I didn't see anything deserving of a technical foul by Liggins; unless he said some magic words, I think it was a pathetic call by a terrible referee 3. BTW, Shaw has called 202 more technical fouls than the next person on the list
March 28, 201016 yr 2. I didn't see anything deserving of a technical foul by Liggins; unless he said some magic words, I think it was a pathetic call by a terrible referee You don't get Regional finals by being a terrible official. According to Clyde's post, Liggins said several magical words. 3. BTW, Shaw has called 202 more technical fouls than the next person on the list Even more reason not to react like Liggins did toward Shaw.
March 28, 201016 yr You don't get Regional finals by being a terrible official. According to Clyde's post, Liggins said several magical words. Even more reason not to react like Liggins did toward Shaw. I didn't see anyone say that Liggins said anything profane, but who knows. If he cursed the official, then it was deserving. If not, then Shaw is an idiot.
March 28, 201016 yr I didn't think the reaction itself warranted a T. However, JDrum or someone talked to someone who said "multiple profanities." Automatic at that point. I didn't see anyone say that Liggins said anything profane, but who knows. If he cursed the official, then it was deserving. If not, then Shaw is an idiot. See Clyde's post above your post.
March 28, 201016 yr See Clyde's post above your post. I saw it, but I follow JDrum and he didn't say that. I didn't see anyone say that....
March 28, 201016 yr Wonder why Shaw did not give the WVU player a T on the other end he was the one who made that call and the WVU kid reacted more to show up Shaw than Liggins did. IMO if you call Liggins you would had to have called that. It's all about saying the "magic" word or words. What those words are, I'll leave up to your imagination. Curtis Shaw has a lot of ties to Kentucky by the way. If I'm not mistaken his parents now live in western KY (close to the lakes) and his sister is married to a guy from Caldwell Co. Those things have NOTHING to do with any of this, just thought I'd mention it. Curtis is a very good referee and a great guy to hang out with.
March 28, 201016 yr I saw it, but I follow JDrum and he didn't say that. I didn't see anyone say that.... It was Pete Thamel of the NYT quoting the officials coordinator.
March 28, 201016 yr But the implication here is that Liggins' reaction was bad. I'm not exactly a UK homer, but I honestly didn't think it was that bad. And it also didn't appear that he said anything (although perhaps he did, out of range of my TV screen). As I said earlier, it just didn't seem like a good call in a game of this magnitude. I agree with this statement too. Yes, he was demonstrative, but I have seen a whole lot of that in this tournament and no T's. I am a Memphis alumni and they are my first love...Kentucky my second..this was vintage Cincinnati/Memphis action. Huggins teams "thug" you up and push you out of you game.
March 28, 201016 yr "Multiple Profanities"? Liggins should have been on Seinfeld as the "fast talker". Look the officials didn't cost UK the game unless you blame them for calling fouls and making UK shoot free throws. But that was terrible technical. Officials know that in this type of game there are going to be emotions. I find it hard to believe this was the only profanity heard on the floor last night. Good officials go unnoticed.
March 28, 201016 yr It's all about saying the "magic" word or words. What those words are, I'll leave up to your imagination. Curtis Shaw has a lot of ties to Kentucky by the way. If I'm not mistaken his parents now live in western KY (close to the lakes) and his sister is married to a guy from Caldwell Co. Those things have NOTHING to do with any of this, just thought I'd mention it. Curtis is a very good referee and a great guy to hang out with. That's the only thing I could figure. Otherwise it was ridiculously quick and probably shouldn't have been called, especially in that situation.
March 28, 201016 yr That's the only thing I could figure. Otherwise it was ridiculously quick and probably shouldn't have been called, especially in that situation. Like I said, if Liggins cursed, then the T was warranted. If not, then it was a horrible call. I love when referees are willing to talk to the players. Far too often they have a mini "power trip" with the whistle. The people pay to watch the PLAYERS, not the referees. I think it is an especially poor call in the NCAA tournament. When it is a big game, I believe that officials should be more willing to communicate with the players. Emotions are riding-high and some times tempers flare and emotions get the best of a player. Kentucky was battling back and Liggins simply reacted to his emotions, albeit poorly. West Virginia's player acted very similarly on one of the next possessions. Cousins reacted much worse throughout the game. All in all, Liggins did not deserve a technical unless he cursed.
March 28, 201016 yr That's the only thing I could figure. Otherwise it was ridiculously quick and probably shouldn't have been called, especially in that situation. I'm checking with my sources to see what exactly was said to C. Shaw, but that's all I can figure too. As for Shaw calling the most T's in D1 this year, it's probably because he calls as many games as anybody else in the country. Law of averages.
March 28, 201016 yr I'm checking with my sources to see what exactly was said to C. Shaw, but that's all I can figure too. As for Shaw calling the most T's in D1 this year, it's probably because he calls as many games as anybody else in the country. Law of averages. According to Wireman, he has called 202 more T's than anyone else in the country. I don't think the "law of averages" applies there.
March 28, 201016 yr See Clyde's post above your post. At first you say it was the reaction, that you witnessed on the big screen. Then you agree with Clyde who says it was not the "reaction", but probably a verbal issue. Comical:rolleyes: Edited March 28, 201016 yr by malachicrunch
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.