Saints 31 Colts 17

Things that stuck out to me.

1. Not criticising him because all around he played a great game. But, the Garcon drop in the 2nd quarter hurt badly. It took the Colts offense off the field and they basically did not return for the rest of the quarter.

2. Colts not trying to do anything at the end of the first quarter. The theme for this game showed here. Saints and Shaun Peyton were playing to win and Colts and Caldwell were playing not to lose. A first down here would have been significant.

3. The onside kick. Saints stole potential points from the Colts and gained some for themselves. Once again keeping the Colts offense off the field. With the dropped pass and the onside, the Colts offense was basically kept off the field for 10 minutes.

4. I thought we were looking at Superbowl overtime, but the interception sealed it. It was a terrible pass and route.

5. I thought Caldwell was horribly out coached in the game,and the Saints much better prepared for the game.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had I been the Colts I would have challenged the onside kick recovery. On the replay it appeared that the Saints player who initially had it lost it between his feet and the Colts recovered it. It would have been worth a challenge. I am a Dallas fan, so it didn't matter to me, but I think Payton outcoached his opponent.

Will this is Manning's first year as the head coach and he may not have felt risking the TO was worth it.

1. Not criticising him because all around he played a great game. But, the Garcon drop in the 2nd quarter hurt badly. It took the Colts offense off the field and they basically did not return for the rest of the quarter.

2. Colts not trying to do anything at the end of the first quarter. The theme for this game showed here. Saints and Shaun Peyton were playing to win and Colts and Caldwell were playing not to lose. A first down here would have been significant.

3. The onside kick. Saints stole potential points from the Colts and gained some for themselves. Once again keeping the Colts offense off the field. With the dropped pass and the onside, the Colts offense was basically kept off the field for 10 minutes.

4. I thought we were looking at Superbowl overtime, but the interception sealed it. It was a terrible pass and route.

5. I thought Caldwell was horribly out coached in the game,and the Saints much better prepared for the game.

I thought this was the turning point of the game here. The Colts had stopped them at the goalline and then allowed them to get a FG before the half, completely shifting the momentum. The Manning interception sealed the deal. I still can't believe the Saints won!!!! :dancingpa

The onside kick stung really bad. Equally as stinging was Garcon's drop on the Colts 3rd drive. Up until that drive, the Colts had run 22 plays, driving the length of the field both times and tallied 10 points and the Saints 0. We do not know if they would have gone on and scored, but the Colts were firing on all cylinders at that point. For the rest of the half, the Colts only ran 6 offensive plays (3 of which they were just trying to kill the clock) and the Saints had taken the lead following the onside kick.

Apples and anchovies. One was a critical call, and while very aggressive, there was zero surprise element to what the Pats did on that 4th and 2. Payton went with a total sneak attack on a mundane play to start the 2nd half and stole the momentum for the rest of the game. While he would have been blasted if the Colts recovered and went on to score and take control, comparing those two situations is WAY off base...
:thumb:

Loved the call and it definitely changed the game.

Personally I think that was the difference in the whole game!

Personally I think that was the difference in the whole game!

I didn't think that all all. The throw by Manning and Wayne cutting his route short were the difference. If they score there nobody mentions him being outcoached.

Your pointless stat of the day:

The team wearing white has won the last 6 Super Bowls. The New England Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVIII against Carolina was the last team in their home colors to win.

Good one. Here's another they mentioned last night. The NFC has won the coin toss 13 straight times!

Awwwful comparison.

I was not trying to compare the two situations. I was just using that as an example. Of how it is funny when a coach makes a very gutsy call you look like a genius and it was a great call if it works. Then if it doesn't work, you are an idiot and it was a dumb call. If the Pats had got that first down, people would have been saying it was a great call because it sealed the win for them. Just like if the Saints didn't get that, then people would blast it and say what a dumb call and how you can't give a team like the Colts that good of field position. I know I loved the call. Its just funny how when you make a gutsy call, you either look like a genius and a complete idiot after it.

I was not trying to compare the two situations. I was just using that as an example. Of how it is funny when a coach makes a very gutsy call you look like a genius and it was a great call if it works. Then if it doesn't work, you are an idiot and it was a dumb call. If the Pats had got that first down, people would have been saying it was a great call because it sealed the win for them. Just like if the Saints didn't get that, then people would blast it and say what a dumb call and how you can't give a team like the Colts that good of field position. I know I loved the call. Its just funny how when you make a gutsy call, you either look like a genius and a complete idiot after it.

I agree with you on this. Had the on side call not worked, I don't know that anyone would have been using the word genius to describe this call or coach.

Payton proved again that he is the biggest momentum changing coach in the NFL. He is the best play caller and plays to win not to not loose like a lot of coaches do. I like the Colts but it's hard not to be happy for Brees + the City. I agree HB Brees and his son was priceless! GREAT PICTURE!

Garcon + Wayne had BIG drops along with Collie. 3 straight runs was very questionable too. Had the Colts won Freeny would be a story for years. Amazing guts by him IMO.