February 5, 201016 yr :l I guess I'm starting to realize that you can't have a negative opinion about anything UK basketball or UK basketball related and be "true" fan. No wonder they talk about the UK fanbase so. And I'm sorry to dissapoint you. :laugh: Having a negative opinion about UK basketball is one thing... saying winning a game is more important than raising 1.3 million for Haiti is another. Cheering against a great man who gave his heart and soul to our University for 10 years is also pretty sweet? You stay classy hoopboy!
February 5, 201016 yr Having a negative opinion about UK basketball is one thing... saying winning a game is more important than raising 1.3 million for Haiti is another. Cheering against a great man who gave his heart and soul to our University for 10 years is also pretty sweet? You stay classy hoopboy! I never said that, I just said it doesn't make you a winner on the basketball floor. Can you say SENSITIVE? And pardon me for having a different opinion about the Tubster. I don't think he gave his heart and soul to our University for 10 years. I think he got lazy and gave up his last two. You obviously have a different opinion than I do. Do I chastize you for it? NO.
February 5, 201016 yr That was my only major frustration with Tubby. He's a heck of an X's and O's coach, but recruiting was not his forte, nor was the quality of his staff. The part I've bolded above is what pushed me over the edge with Tubby because his unwillingness to change his staff was a huge part of why he eventually left, and exactly how many of said assistants did he bring with him to Minnesota? Loyalty indeed. :thumb:
February 5, 201016 yr I really like Tubby and I don't want to see him fail. He was a great coach in every way while at UK, with the exception of letting recruiting slip and being loyal to assistant coaches he should have replaced. He paid the price for that and moved on. It was time for him to move on and a change was needed, but I have no ill will towards him. I feel sorry for those who hold on to that hatred for him, it must be a sad place where they are. I actually feel the same way Watusi. I'd love to see him succeed. I just want the Gopher fan base to be treated the way we were when he left town. You know, their racist, they drove him out of town, all that good stuff. I want Dicky V to take center stage and talk about what a travesty it is that he was let go. UK fans bring a lot of the negative stuff on themselves. However, I think we got a raw deal in that situation.
February 5, 201016 yr I actually feel the same way Watusi. I'd love to see him succeed. I just want the Gopher fan base to be treated the way we were when he left town. You know, their racist, they drove him out of town, all that good stuff. I want Dicky V to take center stage and talk about what a travesty it is that he was let go. UK fans bring a lot of the negative stuff on themselves. However, I think we got a raw deal in that situation. It got to the point where the UK program was more about Tubby than about the tradition, IMO. I could care less what Dick Vitale says/does, the crazy UK people say/do, or the mass media, as long as KY basketball is fun again. Sure, there's more to life than just basketball, but in KY, you got horse racing, coal mining, or basketball. I'm not rich enough to gamble and I'm too lazy to work in the coal fields.
February 5, 201016 yr I didn't think Tubby was the right man for the UK job, but I do want to see him succeed at Minnesota. He is a great defensive coach, he just cannot recruit. Still he is a classy guy, no reason to bash him since he's not in Lexington anymore.
February 5, 201016 yr I didn't think Tubby was the right man for the UK job, but I do want to see him succeed at Minnesota. He is a great defensive coach, he just cannot recruit. Still he is a classy guy, no reason to bash him since he's not in Lexington anymore. Other than the pure enjoyment of it.
February 5, 201016 yr Having a negative opinion about UK basketball is one thing... saying winning a game is more important than raising 1.3 million for Haiti is another. Cheering against a great man who gave his heart and soul to our University for 10 years is also pretty sweet? You stay classy hoopboy! :lol:
February 5, 201016 yr I didn't think Tubby was the right man for the UK job, but I do want to see him succeed at Minnesota. He is a great defensive coach, he just cannot recruit. Still he is a classy guy, no reason to bash him since he's not in Lexington anymore. How about the year he locked up 3 McDonald's All-Americans? Isn't that good recruiting. I know he didn't do it consistently over time, but that is unreal. Just unfortunate for him and UK that two of them didn't really pan out that well.
February 5, 201016 yr How about the year he locked up 3 McDonald's All-Americans? Isn't that good recruiting. I know he didn't do it consistently over time, but that is unreal. Just unfortunate for him and UK that two of them didn't really pan out that well. You picked the exception, not the rule. I don't think that two of them didn't pan out well. Rondo was great of course, and without Morris, God only knows where a couple of those teams would have been. Crawford was the lone "disappointment", in that he never developed into the type of player that was a real force. He was a solid player, but never approached stardom. Besides, it wasn't those types of players that made people scratch their heads. Players like Jared Carter, Michael Porter, Sheray Thomas, Lukasz Orbzut, Shagari Alleyne, Brandon Stockton, Josh Carrier, Rekalin Sims, Adam Williams, Bernard Cote, etc. These were guys that made my eyes want to bleed when they were on the court.
February 5, 201016 yr You picked the exception, not the rule. I don't think that two of them didn't pan out well. Rondo was great of course, and without Morris, God only knows where a couple of those teams would have been. Crawford was the lone "disappointment", in that he never developed into the type of player that was a real force. He was a solid player, but never approached stardom. Besides, it wasn't those types of players that made people scratch their heads. Players like Jared Carter, Michael Porter, Sheray Thomas, Lukasz Orbzut, Shagari Alleyne, Brandon Stockton, Josh Carrier, Rekalin Sims, Adam Williams, Bernard Cote, etc. These were guys that made my eyes want to bleed when they were on the court. Oh I know and I completely agree with you. I just think people forget about that year, and he deserves recognition for it at least.
February 5, 201016 yr Don't act like its one sided. There seem to be Minnesota threads every time they manage a win. They're not as prevalent now that UK is winning, but they were all over the place while BCG was still around. Why shouldn't their have been? I mean with all the Tubby debate we had on here, and then to have Tubby leave like the Tubby bashers wanted, and to have a guy like Billy G come in to replace him. Just to see Billy G take this team to almost an all time low, while Tubby completely turned around a 8 win team. There were many reasons to post those threads, because we got rid of a good coach like Tubby, for someone like Billy G. I don't think anyone can argue that was just a horrible hire and definitely not an upgrade over Tubby. Right now though we do have a coach that its safe to say that all the UK fan base is behind. You don't see people saying that they still wish Tubby was here anymore. I think everyone thinks that it worked out well for both parties. Just some of us would like to see Tubby do well, and so his scores do getting posted still some. The only reasons why we even have any more debates, is we have some guys who I am not going to mention names that just like to come in and take a shot at him still. Even though he is no longer at UK. It really makes no sense, if you didn't like him then no reason to even talk about him anymore since he is no longer UK's coach. He is gone like some of you wanted. We all have moved on, its just some of us also want to see him do well where he is. When it comes down to it though, I think we all would want to see UK blow them out if we did play. I don't think an UK fan would want UK to lose to them just because they like Tubby.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.