Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Minnesota/Tubby Smith

Featured Replies

You picked the exception, not the rule. I don't think that two of them didn't pan out well. Rondo was great of course, and without Morris, God only knows where a couple of those teams would have been. Crawford was the lone "disappointment", in that he never developed into the type of player that was a real force. He was a solid player, but never approached stardom.

 

Besides, it wasn't those types of players that made people scratch their heads. Players like Jared Carter, Michael Porter, Sheray Thomas, Lukasz Orbzut, Shagari Alleyne, Brandon Stockton, Josh Carrier, Rekalin Sims, Adam Williams, Bernard Cote, etc. These were guys that made my eyes want to bleed when they were on the court.

 

Oh I know and I completely agree with you. I just think people forget about that year, and he deserves recognition for it at least.

 

It seems like people only remember the end of things. Most of those bad recruits you listed came at the end. Shoot I think four of those guys came in one recruiting class, and a couple of more came two years later. That is really what did Tubby in. He had two horrible classes close together, and that shouldn't have happened. I admit he only has himself to blame for that. However other than those two years, most of his recruiting classes were pretty good.

 

You had guys like Prince, Bogans, Carruth, Jason Parker, Estill, Azuibuike, Cliff Hawkins, Gerald Fitch, Daniels, Marvin Stone, Desmond Allison, Meeks, Hayes, Jasper, Jules Camara. Guys like Carruth, Parker, and Allison getting in trouble and getting kicked off didn't help. He was bringing in a good bunch of highly touted guys, and guys that had talent and could do the little things. I mean all those guys I mentioned were great guys to bring in, and shoot the guys who weren't ranked as high coming out ended up being a big part of the great run we had from 03 to 05. So as I said people only seem to remember the end because he had THOSE TWO HORRIBLE classes. However besides that, he had really brought in some good classes, and had some bad luck with others. Not to mention his recruiting of Patterson is probably one of the main reasons Patterson is even here. Those two classes is what did him in, and as I said that is his own fault because that shouldn't have happened.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really like Tubby and I don't want to see him fail. He was a great coach in every way while at UK, with the exception of letting recruiting slip and being loyal to assistant coaches he should have replaced. He paid the price for that and moved on. It was time for him to move on and a change was needed, but I have no ill will towards him.

 

I feel sorry for those who hold on to that hatred for him, it must be a sad place where they are.

 

:thumb::thumb:

It's a shame that there are those of you who are happy to see this. Boy I wish some of you would pick another team to cheer for.

 

We call them the 18%.

It seems like people only remember the end of things. Most of those bad recruits you listed came at the end. Shoot I think four of those guys came in one recruiting class, and a couple of more came two years later. That is really what did Tubby in. He had two horrible classes close together, and that shouldn't have happened. I admit he only has himself to blame for that. However other than those two years, most of his recruiting classes were pretty good.

 

You had guys like Prince, Bogans, Carruth, Jason Parker, Estill, Azuibuike, Cliff Hawkins, Gerald Fitch, Daniels, Marvin Stone, Desmond Allison, Meeks, Hayes, Jasper, Jules Camara. Guys like Carruth, Parker, and Allison getting in trouble and getting kicked off didn't help. He was bringing in a good bunch of highly touted guys, and guys that had talent and could do the little things. I mean all those guys I mentioned were great guys to bring in, and shoot the guys who weren't ranked as high coming out ended up being a big part of the great run we had from 03 to 05. So as I said people only seem to remember the end because he had THOSE TWO HORRIBLE classes. However besides that, he had really brought in some good classes, and had some bad luck with others. Not to mention his recruiting of Patterson is probably one of the main reasons Patterson is even here. Those two classes is what did him in, and as I said that is his own fault because that shouldn't have happened.

 

 

Don't mistake my laziness in going further back than the last few years as an inability to. A whole lot of the guys you just named were guys that had discipline problems or transferred out. No help there.

How about the year he locked up 3 McDonald's All-Americans? Isn't that good recruiting. I know he didn't do it consistently over time, but that is unreal.

 

Just unfortunate for him and UK that two of them didn't really pan out that well.

 

That was just one season. A great haul, but it seemed like he just gave up on recruiting after that.

 

It seems like people only remember the end of things. Most of those bad recruits you listed came at the end. Shoot I think four of those guys came in one recruiting class, and a couple of more came two years later. That is really what did Tubby in. He had two horrible classes close together, and that shouldn't have happened. I admit he only has himself to blame for that. However other than those two years, most of his recruiting classes were pretty good.

 

You had guys like Prince, Bogans, Carruth, Jason Parker, Estill, Azuibuike, Cliff Hawkins, Gerald Fitch, Daniels, Marvin Stone, Desmond Allison, Meeks, Hayes, Jasper, Jules Camara. Guys like Carruth, Parker, and Allison getting in trouble and getting kicked off didn't help. He was bringing in a good bunch of highly touted guys, and guys that had talent and could do the little things. I mean all those guys I mentioned were great guys to bring in, and shoot the guys who weren't ranked as high coming out ended up being a big part of the great run we had from 03 to 05. So as I said people only seem to remember the end because he had THOSE TWO HORRIBLE classes. However besides that, he had really brought in some good classes, and had some bad luck with others. Not to mention his recruiting of Patterson is probably one of the main reasons Patterson is even here. Those two classes is what did him in, and as I said that is his own fault because that shouldn't have happened.

 

I think that guys like Chuck Hayes were the downfall for Tubby. Chuck was so underrated coming in and just worked his tail off to the point to where he was a great college player. Tubby started to go after guys like that IMO, instead of realizing that hidden gems are rare.

 

For all of the players he brought in, and he did bring in some good ones, he never really had anyone outside of Prince that I felt was the kind of player who could put the team on his back and potentially get them to the Final Four. Other programs have had Jay Williams, Okafor, Carmelo, Hansbrough, Joakim Noah, etc. Tubby didn't ever bring in anyone like that and it hurt him at tournament time IMO.

Other than the pure enjoyment of it.

 

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That was just one season. A great haul, but it seemed like he just gave up on recruiting after that.

 

 

 

I think that guys like Chuck Hayes were the downfall for Tubby. Chuck was so underrated coming in and just worked his tail off to the point to where he was a great college player. Tubby started to go after guys like that IMO, instead of realizing that hidden gems are rare.

 

For all of the players he brought in, and he did bring in some good ones, he never really had anyone outside of Prince that I felt was the kind of player who could put the team on his back and potentially get them to the Final Four. Other programs have had Jay Williams, Okafor, Carmelo, Hansbrough, Joakim Noah, etc. Tubby didn't ever bring in anyone like that and it hurt him at tournament time IMO.

 

Jason Parker, and Carruth were two players that were suppose to be like that. Same with Morris, Crawford and Bradley...However I do agree with you that guys like Hayes, and even Fitch and Daniels didn't help Tubby. He did think he could get guys like that and turn them into just a great overall team instead of a overall talented team. I think we seen that with the 03 class of Thomas, Perry, Shagari and Orbzut. He thought he could do the same with them, and well he couldn't. So I agree with you a 100 percent on that, that is where he really missed up. Then to have the class of only Jared Carter two years later, and that spells a team with not much talent. :thumb:

Jason Parker, and Carruth were two players that were suppose to be like that. Same with Morris, Crawford and Bradley...However I do agree with you that guys like Hayes, and even Fitch and Daniels didn't help Tubby. He did think he could get guys like that and turn them into just a great overall team instead of a overall talented team. I think we seen that with the 03 class of Thomas, Perry, Shagari and Orbzut. He thought he could do the same with them, and well he couldn't. So I agree with you a 100 percent on that, that is where he really missed up. Then to have the class of only Jared Carter two years later, and that spells a team with not much talent. :thumb:

 

I completely agree with your assessment of the Tubby situation.:thumb:

Why shouldn't their have been? I mean with all the Tubby debate we had on here, and then to have Tubby leave like the Tubby bashers wanted, and to have a guy like Billy G come in to replace him. Just to see Billy G take this team to almost an all time low, while Tubby completely turned around a 8 win team. There were many reasons to post those threads, because we got rid of a good coach like Tubby, for someone like Billy G. I don't think anyone can argue that was just a horrible hire and definitely not an upgrade over Tubby.

 

Right now though we do have a coach that its safe to say that all the UK fan base is behind. You don't see people saying that they still wish Tubby was here anymore. I think everyone thinks that it worked out well for both parties. Just some of us would like to see Tubby do well, and so his scores do getting posted still some. The only reasons why we even have any more debates, is we have some guys who I am not going to mention names that just like to come in and take a shot at him still. Even though he is no longer at UK. It really makes no sense, if you didn't like him then no reason to even talk about him anymore since he is no longer UK's coach. He is gone like some of you wanted. We all have moved on, its just some of us also want to see him do well where he is. When it comes down to it though, I think we all would want to see UK blow them out if we did play. I don't think an UK fan would want UK to lose to them just because they like Tubby.

 

not mich difference between billy gs last 2 years and tubbys last 2 record wise, other than billy g was a raging drunk.

Jason Parker, and Carruth were two players that were suppose to be like that. Same with Morris, Crawford and Bradley...However I do agree with you that guys like Hayes, and even Fitch and Daniels didn't help Tubby. He did think he could get guys like that and turn them into just a great overall team instead of a overall talented team. I think we seen that with the 03 class of Thomas, Perry, Shagari and Orbzut. He thought he could do the same with them, and well he couldn't. So I agree with you a 100 percent on that, that is where he really missed up. Then to have the class of only Jared Carter two years later, and that spells a team with not much talent. :thumb:

 

Heck, in 02, he probably had as much talent as anyone in the country and still lost 10 games, made it to the sweet 16. They were pre-picked very high, but forgotten about when the SEC started.

Well,I'm one of the guys who supports Tubby while he was at UK and still do.

I know he's having a little rough go at now,but if the Minnasota fans will just keep the faith, their team will be fine.Good luck to Tubby and his team the rest of season.

It got to the point where the UK program was more about Tubby than about the tradition, IMO. I could care less what Dick Vitale says/does, the crazy UK people say/do, or the mass media, as long as KY basketball is fun again. Sure, there's more to life than just basketball, but in KY, you got horse racing, coal mining, or basketball. I'm not rich enough to gamble and I'm too lazy to work in the coal fields.

 

The bolded sticks out to me, It's very hard work...Yet everyone wants to shut it down, It puts food of the table for my family, And actually makes me feel good knowing I work HARD for everything I have...Nothing was ever handed to me

not mich difference between billy gs last 2 years and tubbys last 2 record wise, other than billy g was a raging drunk.

 

Except for the fact that UK still made the tournament both year and were at least able to get wins in at. Compared to in Billy G's first year where they probably just made it because of our name, and then not even making it the second year. Tubby's last two years were not great at all, and I won't defend that. However both of Billy G's years here, were worst than any year Tubby was here. So yeah at the time there was good reason to keep posting how Tubby was doing, compared to the guy who replaced him like most of you who wanted Tubby gone wanted.

 

As I said before I think the whole fan base is behind Coach Cal. Some people do want to do see Tubby do well though. The only reason why we even get into these arguments anymore, is because some of you all still like to take shots at him for really no reason. All of this should be a dead issue to you all now, since he is gone. Its not like any UK fan is saying we still wish he was here, we just would like to see him do well and thats all.

I really like Tubby and I don't want to see him fail. He was a great coach in every way while at UK, with the exception of letting recruiting slip and being loyal to assistant coaches he should have replaced. He paid the price for that and moved on. It was time for him to move on and a change was needed, but I have no ill will towards him.

 

I feel sorry for those who hold on to that hatred for him, it must be a sad place where they are.

 

Boy did you ever nail it.

Except for the fact that UK still made the tournament both year and were at least able to get wins in at. Compared to in Billy G's first year where they probably just made it because of our name, and then not even making it the second year. Tubby's last two years were not great at all, and I won't defend that. However both of Billy G's years here, were worst than any year Tubby was here. So yeah at the time there was good reason to keep posting how Tubby was doing, compared to the guy who replaced him like most of you who wanted Tubby gone wanted.

 

As I said before I think the whole fan base is behind Coach Cal. Some people do want to do see Tubby do well though. The only reason why we even get into these arguments anymore, is because some of you all still like to take shots at him for really no reason. All of this should be a dead issue to you all now, since he is gone. Its not like any UK fan is saying we still wish he was here, we just would like to see him do well and thats all.

 

:laugh: I said record wise, they were pretty much the same. Do you or do you not agree that Tubby at times had much more to work with than Billy G did his past two years and severely underachieved, i.e. the 2002 team. But I'm sure that team, "wasn't as good as advertised" or some sort of hogwash.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.