Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Minnesota/Tubby Smith

Featured Replies

The bolded sticks out to me, It's very hard work...Yet everyone wants to shut it down, It puts food of the table for my family, And actually makes me feel good knowing I work HARD for everything I have...Nothing was ever handed to me

 

If coal shuts down, Eastern KY pretty much shuts down. People care more about third world countries than they do Eastern KY it seems at times.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:laugh: I said record wise, they were pretty much the same. Do you or do you not agree that Tubby at times had much more to work with than Billy G did his past two years and severely underachieved, i.e. the 2002 team. But I'm sure that team, "wasn't as good as advertised" or some sort of hogwash.

 

Yeah record wise. However Tubby's last two UK teams, really werent that close to missing it like the one Billy G's team that did make it, and then obviously the one who didn't. So I guess that means Tubby's record had to have come against better teams though...However I do agree with you that Tubby's teams did underachieve in some years, and they definitely did in 2002. No arguing that at all. However it wasn't all bad years either, from 03 to 05 they greatly overachieved. I know mean and others who supported Tubby, realized it probably was best to part ways. What caused most of the arguments, is some of you acting like he was the worst coach in the world, and was just horrible the whole time here and that was not true.

 

It has now worked out well for both parties, all of us UK fans are happy. Just some of us still want to see Tubby do well too. There is no reason to even have these discussions anymore, if people dont keep bashing Tubby for no reason like you all are trying to make a point or something. I don't see anyone on here ever saying anymore that they still want Tubby as coach. We just want to see him do well, thats all.

Yeah record wise. However Tubby's last two UK teams, really werent that close to missing it like the one Billy G's team that did make it, and then obviously the one who didn't. So I guess that means Tubby's record had to have come against better teams though...However I do agree with you that Tubby's teams did underachieve in some years, and they definitely did in 2002. No arguing that at all. However it wasn't all bad years either, from 03 to 05 they greatly overachieved. I know mean and others who supported Tubby, realized it probably was best to part ways. What caused most of the arguments, is some of you acting like he was the worst coach in the world, and was just horrible the whole time here and that was not true.

 

It has now worked out well for both parties, all of us UK fans are happy. Just some of us still want to see Tubby do well too. There is no reason to even have these discussions anymore, if people dont keep bashing Tubby for no reason like you all are trying to make a point or something. I don't see anyone on here ever saying anymore that they still want Tubby as coach. We just want to see him do well, thats all.

 

I'll admit, from 03-05, I wouldn't have wanted another coach in the country. It's just like he quit after that to me. I never acted like he was the worst coach in the world, I just never thought he was as great as the "Tubby lovers" or whatever that group was called. It's kind of like when the media pushes guys so hard and they don't achieve, it kind of turns you against them. I just wonder if they'll dub Minnesota racists and crazy if they run him out of town up there too.

If coal shuts down, Eastern KY pretty much shuts down. People care more about third world countries than they do Eastern KY it seems at times.

 

Agree 100%..

I'll admit, from 03-05, I wouldn't have wanted another coach in the country. It's just like he quit after that to me. I never acted like he was the worst coach in the world, I just never thought he was as great as the "Tubby lovers" or whatever that group was called. It's kind of like when the media pushes guys so hard and they don't achieve, it kind of turns you against them. I just wonder if they'll dub Minnesota racists and crazy if they run him out of town up there too.

 

I don't think it was as much him quitting. As just thinking that he could turn just any decent recruits into a great overall team. He had such success with guys like Hayes, Fitch, Hawkins, Daniels, etc. Guys who weren't like 5 star guys coming out, and made them turn into a great team. He thought he could keep doing that, and well that is why we seen that class of Thomas, Perry, Shag, Orbzut. Except he couldn't do that with them. I am not going to make excuses for him on that, because if your a coach at UK, you shouldn't settle at trying to get guys like that and trying to make them better. Then to get a Jarod Carter two years later, and that is just a bad team. So yeah it was his own fault. If people would have just said that was bad coaching on him to do that, then I would have completely agreed. People thought just acted like he always brought in bad recruits which was not true, and acted like he was just terrible while here. He was no Rupp, or Pitino. Guys who are legends here at UK, however he was a good coach for us. I just defended him when guys acted like he was horrible, and was saying he shouldn't coach at even a mid major.

 

The guy is a really good coach, it was time for him to go here. This job really is a 10 year max job. I really don't think the Minnesota fans are getting tired of him. He completely turned that program around from where they were at. I mean you could even see that most of those comments on that story, were mostly still just from UK fans who didn't like Tubby. It really wasn't the Minnesota fans or not many of them.

I don't think it was as much him quitting. As just thinking that he could turn just any decent recruits into a great overall team. He had such success with guys like Hayes, Fitch, Hawkins, Daniels, etc. Guys who weren't like 5 star guys coming out, and made them turn into a great team. He thought he could keep doing that, and well that is why we seen that class of Thomas, Perry, Shag, Orbzut. Except he couldn't do that with them. I am not going to make excuses for him on that, because if your a coach at UK, you shouldn't settle at trying to get guys like that and trying to make them better. Then to get a Jarod Carter two years later, and that is just a bad team. So yeah it was his own fault. If people would have just said that was bad coaching on him to do that, then I would have completely agreed. People thought just acted like he always brought in bad recruits which was not true, and acted like he was just terrible while here. He was no Rupp, or Pitino. Guys who are legends here at UK, however he was a good coach for us. I just defended him when guys acted like he was horrible, and was saying he shouldn't coach at even a mid major.

 

The guy is a really good coach, it was time for him to go here. This job really is a 10 year max job. I really don't think the Minnesota fans are getting tired of him. He completely turned that program around from where they were at. I mean you could even see that most of those comments on that story, were mostly still just from UK fans who didn't like Tubby. It really wasn't the Minnesota fans or not many of them.

 

We shall see.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.