February 2, 201016 yr The tournament is great as it is right now, its never been more popular with the 64-man field. I think it really may be the greatest month in sports for the calendar year. Why screw with something like that?
February 2, 201016 yr Honestly, 96 teams is too much. Even after selection Sunday there are no more than a few snubs after the brackets are announced.
February 2, 201016 yr Honestly, 96 teams is too much. Even after selection Sunday there are no more than a few snubs after the brackets are announced. I liked that there are snubs. Not sure why, but I always enjoy seeing who they are lol.
February 2, 201016 yr Interesting to see that Leonard Hamilton and Billy Donovan are two of the biggest advocates of this... Leonard Hamilton has spent the majority of his time at FSU either in the NIT or not playing in the postseason at all... Donovan has been to the NIT in two consecutive seasons, and is likely heading there again this year. Florida has been on the bubble the last couple of seasons, and an expanded field would make certain they are playing a little later in March.
February 2, 201016 yr Mo Egger (on 1530 Homer) quoted a source today saying that the expansion was a "done deal." I sure hope he's wrong. Expansion, at this time, is unnecessary. And Jim Boeheim is a big advocate of adding more teams too. He's actually the only coach I've heard that has consistently called for a bigger tourney.
February 4, 201016 yr I thought this was interesting per KSR... In the end, if the NCAA Tournament expands, blame the coaches in the Big East. Adam Zagoria reports they as a group are at the forefront of pushing the movement so more teams from their conference can make the Big Dance.
February 4, 201016 yr The tournament is great as it is right now, its never been more popular with the 64-man field. I think it really may be the greatest month in sports for the calendar year. Why screw with something like that? Because the NCAA believes that if 65 is great, .. that more would be better. I don't necessarily agree with that. However, if they are going to expand, go to 128 teams. It only adds 1 more game that teams could possibly have to play, the higher seeded teams could host a first round game. But if not, just stick with 65.
February 4, 201016 yr I thought this was interesting per KSR... In the end, if the NCAA Tournament expands, blame the coaches in the Big East. Adam Zagoria reports they as a group are at the forefront of pushing the movement so more teams from their conference can make the Big Dance. And given the cap of 8 teams seemingly put on the league they should...
February 4, 201016 yr Perhaps this has already been said, but if this were to happen, I would like to see the conference tournament eliminated and the regular season champion rewarded with the automatic berth. Also, in the category of "it can't happen, but it might be cool" with 96 teams, there would be 32 teams with first-round byes. It would be neat to see all conference champions gain a first-round bye, although that's unrealistic and would make the tournament unbalanced.
February 4, 201016 yr And given the cap of 8 teams seemingly put on the league they should... Is this really the case? How many Big East teams have been "screwed" since they went to 16?
February 4, 201016 yr Is this really the case? How many Big East teams have been "screwed" since they went to 16? Too busy right now to look it up, but there have been several cases where deserving teams have been left out after 8 had been put in the field. Most notably for me, obviously, was the team AK coached with Hicks, Downey and White in the 1st year of the 16 team league...
February 4, 201016 yr Too busy right now to look it up, but there have been several cases where deserving teams have been left out after 8 had been put in the field. Most notably for me, obviously, was the team AK coached with Hicks, Downey and White in the 1st year of the 16 team league... Didn't they lose like 13 games?
February 4, 201016 yr Perhaps this has already been said, but if this were to happen, I would like to see the conference tournament eliminated and the regular season champion rewarded with the automatic berth. Also, in the category of "it can't happen, but it might be cool" with 96 teams, there would be 32 teams with first-round byes. It would be neat to see all conference champions gain a first-round bye, although that's unrealistic and would make the tournament unbalanced. I forget where I saw it, but I read somehwere an interesting point. It would stink to be the 9 and 10 seeds. Some of the 9's and 10's are favored against the 7's and 8's but the 7-8 would get a bye and extra time to prepare for you.
February 4, 201016 yr Didn't they lose like 13 games? Not sure but they were seeded 8th in the BE and lost on a miracle shot to the 9 seed in their own back yard.
February 4, 201016 yr The best solution that I have seen is to have 68 teams. Four play-in games for the right to be a 12 seed.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.