Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Billy Gillispie

Featured Replies

As I stated at the time the Cutler thing made me sick. First time I was actually ashamed to be a UK fan or to be from Kentucky.

I understand what you are saying, but the Alan Cutler/Billy Gillispie chase was a very personal matter. Billy Clyde had been very difficult and down right rude to the media. As bad as it did look, I'll defend Cutler on this one because Billy Clyde had done some down right rude things to him previously.

 

Did you hear the jab from Billy Clyde during the chase that Cutler might need a little running as if to say that Cutler was fat?

 

I do wish Billy Gillispie all the luck in the world in his battle against alcohol.

  • Replies 63
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bulldog, those were beautiful thoughts and remind us that we all fail. Many people feel like failures when they are not. So often in this world there are folks sitting and waiting for others around them to fail because it somehow makes them feel stronger and superior. Those are the people in life that are true failures. Perhaps we might think this way about Gillispie. Maybe KY was a part of his journey to actually get his life in order? Ultimately, that wouldn't make it a failure for him personally, would it? It would turn out to be a blessing that he was here and hopefully guided into getting help. Perception often defines failure on each of our parts I guess.

I would hope that at least the majority of UK fans are of the same sentiments as expressed by many in this thread. But, considering the lack of responses to this thread, I tend to think it's unfortunately not the case.

 

Regardless of the fact that he was the coach at UK, we should all be able to have empathy and compassion for another human being who is struggling. The important fact isn't that UK didn't achieve greatness during his tenure as coach, but that this man was struggling with not only an addiction, but with contributing factors.

 

I would hope that we all can empathize because as bulldog courageously admits, we've either all been in a failing situation, struggled with demons, or even struggled with an addiction. No one among us is immune from being human. But we can all remember our humanity and empathize with another man's struggles in his.

BCG was not the right man for the job and I believe that was apparent to UK at the time. He is not the type of "media darling" that this job calls for and never will be. This is not the fault of Gillispie, it's just not his style. I think UK was desperate to get a Big Name coach into the position and grabbed what they new to be a "stop gap" coach after being turned down by a couple other coaches.

 

It was apparent very early on that Billy wasn't going to be the representative that the UK program requires and I'm sure they were looking for his predecessor well before his demise. Both sides were at fault in this situation and I hope Billy can overcome his demons and find his way back into coaching. I imagine he will be a much different coach when that time comes.

It will be interesting to see if he ever gets a chance to Coach again and where?

I would hope that at least the majority of UK fans are of the same sentiments as expressed by many in this thread. But, considering the lack of responses to this thread, I tend to think it's unfortunately not the case.

 

Regardless of the fact that he was the coach at UK, we should all be able to have empathy and compassion for another human being who is struggling. The important fact isn't that UK didn't achieve greatness during his tenure as coach, but that this man was struggling with not only an addiction, but with contributing factors.

 

I would hope that we all can empathize because as bulldog courageously admits, we've either all been in a failing situation, struggled with demons, or even struggled with an addiction. No one among us is immune from being human. But we can all remember our humanity and empathize with another man's struggles in his.

 

Antagonize UK fans because they haven't responded to a thread, please.

 

Let's keep this focused on BCG. He has a problem and I hope he can beat his addiction. Alcohol can do some bad things to people.

Antagonize UK fans because they haven't responded to a thread, please.

 

Let's keep this focused on BCG. He has a problem and I hope he can beat his addiction. Alcohol can do some bad things to people.

 

I'm not trying to anatagonize anyone. It's a fact. This thread didn't just get posted. In the past any thread calling for BCG's head reached 2 pages in less time than it took me to post this.

I would hope that at least the majority of UK fans are of the same sentiments as expressed by many in this thread. But, considering the lack of responses to this thread, I tend to think it's unfortunately not the case.

 

Regardless of the fact that he was the coach at UK, we should all be able to have empathy and compassion for another human being who is struggling. The important fact isn't that UK didn't achieve greatness during his tenure as coach, but that this man was struggling with not only an addiction, but with contributing factors.

 

I would hope that we all can empathize because as bulldog courageously admits, we've either all been in a failing situation, struggled with demons, or even struggled with an addiction. No one among us is immune from being human. But we can all remember our humanity and empathize with another man's struggles in his.

 

 

:lol: Taking shots at UK fans because they haven't responded in a thread...:lol:

 

I mean, it couldn't have anything to do that yesterday was New Year's Eve, and today is New Year's Day...No, that can't have anything to do with it. :rolleyes:

Why dig on RockMom? Its only the first day of the year. I'm waiting a few days, she only posts during football season, I still can't get over that statement. :jump:

As human beings, we should hope and pray that he beats his addiction to alcohol. If so, we should be happy.

 

:thumb:

I would hope that at least the majority of UK fans are of the same sentiments as expressed by many in this thread. But, considering the lack of responses to this thread, I tend to think it's unfortunately not the case.

 

Regardless of the fact that he was the coach at UK, we should all be able to have empathy and compassion for another human being who is struggling. The important fact isn't that UK didn't achieve greatness during his tenure as coach, but that this man was struggling with not only an addiction, but with contributing factors.

 

I would hope that we all can empathize because as bulldog courageously admits, we've either all been in a failing situation, struggled with demons, or even struggled with an addiction. No one among us is immune from being human. But we can all remember our humanity and empathize with another man's struggles in his.

 

 

 

Just another of your post that makes me say "Not Surprised"...

While I'm at it I would like to apologize for not posting in the following threads

"Man saves puppy", "Dog nurses cat", "Kid dances for a cause" and "Nursing home votes to keep pudding fund". Those are all things I agreed with but neglected to say so, how pathetic I feel now I realize saying nothing is the same as saying I wish BCG a life of torment from his personal demons...

:ohbrother:

Edited by SEMPERFIFALCON

As human beings, we should hope and pray that he beats his addiction to alcohol. If so, we should be happy.

Can't say it any better than that, I have prayed for BCG and will continue to do so. I don't think anyone is rooting against BGC now...

I truly don't understand those that have this deep seated hatred for this man? He didn't set out to fail as the coach of the University of Kentucky. He didn't say in his mind, I'm going to recruit poorly, tick off the fan base and lose games. The Athletic Director didn't hire this guy with the intention of having to fire him two years later. Sometimes people fail. Somtimes people mishandle situations. Sometimes people are weak when no one even knows it. Am I glad he's gone? As a UK fan yes indeed, but do I despise the MAN for his addictions and shortcomings? No. That's childish and unrealistic. Truly I feel worse for those who invest their entire emotions in despising a man for his failures. I've personally been there, been a failure when expectations were for anything but that and I endured the ridicule of people as a result. I GUARANTEE you there is nobody who felt the sting of the program's failures than BCG himself and I'll further add that I GUARANTEE that while his alcohol addiction was long present in some form, the end result of his term at Kentucky gave him further cause to sink deeper into that abyss. Good riddance as coach, God help him as a man.

 

Great post.:thumb:

I know he lost to a lot of teams he shouldn't had, and they failed to make the tournament last year "or whatever", but you have to admit, when his first season was finished, people generally thought well of him. He was co-SEC coach of the year, and ended the season on a very high note after a horrible start. He started off well his second year, starting 16-4 and cracking ESPN's Top 25. I guess he enjoyed his booze a bit too much after that, but I'm not going to fault the man for that. I hope BCG "gets better" and "works harder" and ends up with a coaching job next season.

I understand what you are saying, but the Alan Cutler/Billy Gillispie chase was a very personal matter. Billy Clyde had been very difficult and down right rude to the media. As bad as it did look, I'll defend Cutler on this one because Billy Clyde had done some down right rude things to him previously.

 

Did you hear the jab from Billy Clyde during the chase that Cutler might need a little running as if to say that Cutler was fat?

 

I do wish Billy Gillispie all the luck in the world in his battle against alcohol.

 

I can see that side too I guess. I just don't think you should go out of your way to embarrass someone after they've been fired. Calling someone fat is alot different than being chased after you've been fired IMO.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.