December 31, 200916 yr For as much as some can hate Gillispie for losing to this team or that team. For failing to take us back to the NCAA for the 18th consecutive year. For failing to get the top rated recruits and posing for every picture. I honestly just had this feeling come over me. I feel sorry for him. I know, this is months down the road, but I just watched a video that had him in it. Gillispie was on top of the world. He was the hottest coach in America. He had just taken the most high profile basketball job in America. And then it slowly started crumbling beneath him before it gave out. From being on top of the world, Gillispie had nothing left. The sacred job that he possessed was now gone. Everything went into a whirlwind down the drain. And then, he gets caught and arrested for a DUI. Just a few months from leading Kentucky to a dominating win over Tennessee, Gillispie sits in handcuffs inside a police van. I don't know what caused me to write this, but I do know that I hope Gillispie can get his life turned around and get back into coaching.
December 31, 200916 yr Interesting post. However, I think your point about Gillispie being "on top of the world" around the time he took the UK coaching job is open for debate. Clearly, Gillispie's alcohol addiction did not commence in Lexington, and this problem has surely been taking his life in a negative direction for quite some time. Heck, if the reports about Gillispie now getting serious about addressing his addiction problem are true, then a case could be made that his life is in a better position right now then it has been in a long time. One last thing... I remember that even at the time UK hired him, there was a lot of talk about Gillispie having a drinking problem (I think he may have had one or more DUIs in Texas). In my opinion, a university is making a mistake whenever it hires someone with a drug/alcohol addiction problem. Doing so is just asking for trouble.
December 31, 200916 yr I don't feel bad for the man in terms of him losing his job, but I do hope he is able to overcome any personal problems he may have. Interestingly enough, Billy Clyde called at least one old player and apologized for his tenure in Lexington. For the way he treated them, for the seasons they had, etc. Billy said he was a changed man, and I hope that's true. It is clear that he had more problems in Lexington other than a team that didn't make the NCAA tournament.
December 31, 200916 yr Author I think their were reports that he had trouble with alcohol abuse at UTEP, not so much at TAMU. When he was hired, I don't know how you couldn't say he wasn't on top of the world. He had just took an abismal TAMU team fairly deep into a tournament. Beat our arch rival Louisville on the way. And then landed the most prestigious job in all of college sport. After that, not so much.
December 31, 200916 yr Interesting post. However, I think your point about Gillispie being "on top of the world" around the time he took the UK coaching job is open for debate. Clearly, Gillispie's alcohol addiction did not commence in Lexington, and this problem has surely been taking his life in a negative direction for quite some time. Heck, if the reports about Gillispie now getting serious about addressing his addiction problem are true, then a case could be made that his life is in a better position right now then it has been in a long time. One last thing... I remember that even at the time UK hired him, there was a lot of talk about Gillispie having a drinking problem (I think he may have had one or more DUIs in Texas). In my opinion, a university is making a mistake whenever it hires someone with a drug/alcohol addiction problem. Doing so is just asking for trouble. I agree with you on this if he is really addressing his addiction problem to me thats more important, from a personal standpoint, than any level of basketball.:thumb:
December 31, 200916 yr As human beings, we should hope and pray that he beats his addiction to alcohol. If so, we should be happy.
December 31, 200916 yr I have always felt bad for BCG. The man obviously faces some serious personal demons, and I hated the way we as a fan base treated him on his way out. The man needs help and all we did was really laugh him out of town IMO.
December 31, 200916 yr Author I have always felt bad for BCG. The man obviously faces some serious personal demons, and I hated the way we as a fan base treated him on his way out. The man needs help and all we did was really laugh him out of town IMO. I agree. What really upset me was the fact that Alan Cutler chased a man whom had just lost his job. Even in interviews, Gillispie said "this is just a small bump in the road," but by looking at his face, you could tell he was truly upset that he was no longer the coach at the University of Kentucky.
December 31, 200916 yr I agree. What really upset me was the fact that Alan Cutler chased a man whom had just lost his job. Even in interviews, Gillispie said "this is just a small bump in the road," but by looking at his face, you could tell he was truly upset that he was no longer the coach at the University of Kentucky. As I stated at the time the Cutler thing made me sick. First time I was actually ashamed to be a UK fan or to be from Kentucky.
January 1, 201016 yr I was never a fan of hiring Billy G. He had a history (or at least a reputation for being a playboy type). He had a history of alcohol problems. That was even addressed by Barnhart who said he had a discussion with Gillispie and there would be no issues. Billy G was obviously never comfortable in front of the press in the capacity that a UK coach has to be. It was a good hire. He wasn't a fit. I felt it was doomed from the start. Now, I hold no ill will towards the man. I think he owes MANY players an apology for his behavior towards them. He obviously needs help related to alcohol and I hope very much that he receives that as well as some counseling for his overall psyche - I think he needs it.
January 1, 201016 yr I meant to say Gillispie "wasn't" a good hire. Alabama - I totally agree with you. Hope he gets ALL the help he needs.
January 1, 201016 yr CC, I think he BCG might be in AA. I believe one of the 12 steps is to make amends with those who you have hurt.
January 1, 201016 yr CC, I think he BCG might be in AA. I believe one of the 12 steps is to make amends with those who you have hurt. There is no doubt that he's in AA and that's definitely part of the 12 step process. Still found it interesting. I hope the man can overcome it. I've seen it first hand and it's a nasty, nasty addiction.
January 1, 201016 yr I truly don't understand those that have this deep seated hatred for this man? He didn't set out to fail as the coach of the University of Kentucky. He didn't say in his mind, I'm going to recruit poorly, tick off the fan base and lose games. The Athletic Director didn't hire this guy with the intention of having to fire him two years later. Sometimes people fail. Somtimes people mishandle situations. Sometimes people are weak when no one even knows it. Am I glad he's gone? As a UK fan yes indeed, but do I despise the MAN for his addictions and shortcomings? No. That's childish and unrealistic. Truly I feel worse for those who invest their entire emotions in despising a man for his failures. I've personally been there, been a failure when expectations were for anything but that and I endured the ridicule of people as a result. I GUARANTEE you there is nobody who felt the sting of the program's failures than BCG himself and I'll further add that I GUARANTEE that while his alcohol addiction was long present in some form, the end result of his term at Kentucky gave him further cause to sink deeper into that abyss. Good riddance as coach, God help him as a man.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.