Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Lexington Catholic 76 Covington Catholic 57

Featured Replies

Cov Cath was simply outmatched by LexCath. Cov Cath has a ways to go before they are ready to compete again with the upper echelon of the state and even region. Wellbrock is a nice player and will be a matchup nightmare for a lot of teams, seems to me they have a ways to go with guard play. Calm down about the number of kids played folks, its the first game of the year and I am sure that Coach L was trying to figure out his best rotation.

  • Replies 104
  • Views 9.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

LexCath is a top 10 team. If CovCath makes free throws and breaks the press in the first half the way they did in the second half, it's a ball game. No doubt in my mind. Great adjustments to break the press by the coaches. You just can't prepare for that kind of pressure. It only took them a half to nearly perfect how to get the ball over half court. This is going to be an exciting team to watch this year.

LexCath also played a lot of kids early.

 

I thought Listerman did a good job with his rotation. Still trying to figure out who can play at that level as most coaches are this early in the season.

 

Early foul trouble hurt CovCath with Thelen having to sit a lot in first half.

 

Thought CovCath played hard and did a good job moving the basketball. They are going to play very few teams that play off the ball defense like LexCath.

 

I like this edition of CovCath better than last years team because of the depth and imo better guard play. Don't know if this gets them into upper echelon in the 9th but I think gets them out of the district.

All Im saying is this doesn't seem like that big of a deal. The kid didn't spit on the C or "STOMP" at midcourt. I don't think he was trying to disrespect CovCath. I would guess he does this at home games also. I've seen a lot worse in this generation but you guys are right, there is a huge huge huge difference and someone will say something to him I'm sure. And I agree someone should say something, it should stop after tonight. If no one does, then I'm sure your right. Things will take care of themselves.

 

Don't be silly, of course he was being disrespectful. Why else would he have after being introduced, run to center court and bent over pretending to sign the CovCath logo? Coming from some schools I would not have been too surprised, but I thought LexCath had more class than that. I believe had that been a CovCath player on another teams court, the kid would have spent the first half in the locker room.

 

Regarding the game. Lots of positives in this loss against a very good LexCath team. Shooting was poor pretty much all the way around, but they played better as a team.

LexCath 16/24 from the Free throw line

CovCath 07/20 from the Free throw line

 

LexCath shoots 7/14 from behind the arch

CovCath shoots 6/20 from behind the arch

 

LexCath 20/31 from the floor

CovCath 16/41 from the floor

 

Each team with 39 rebounds

 

Leading scores

 

LexCath

Bechman 29

Schutte 18

 

CovCath

Wellbrock 16

Evans 10

 

There was one other stat that I heard after the game not listed here, and that was turnovers, If I heard correctly Cov Cath had 16 while Lex Cath had over 20. To go along with that was Cov Cath had more points off those turnovers than Lex Cath. This to me was a very impressive stat considering how bad the Colonels did in this category last year.

 

One comment as far as number of players, I think anyone who has heard Coach L talk about this team, knows he is going to go 10-12 deep every night. I was not surprised by this at all, except I expected both Schult and Maschinot to play more. Other than that, the guys who played I would expect to play in most games

Frosh also lost but it was a much closer contest.

 

 

What was the final score?

LexCath also played a lot of kids early.

 

I thought Listerman did a good job with his rotation. Still trying to figure out who can play at that level as most coaches are this early in the season.

 

Early foul trouble hurt CovCath with Thelen having to sit a lot in first half.

 

Thought CovCath played hard and did a good job moving the basketball. They are going to play very few teams that play off the ball defense like LexCath.

I like this edition of CovCath better than last years team because of the depth and imo better guard play. Don't know if this gets them into upper echelon in the 9th but I think gets them out of the district.

 

The 2-2-1 pres is LC's signature defense as you folks at Cov Cath know very well. They teach it well and have proven sucess with it. IMo it works very well in High School as teams must handle and pass the ball very well to beat it. The downside for a kid that goes to the next level is that they don't learn how to play man to man which is a must in college, therefore they have a learning curve in order to catch up.

 

A quick kid like Beckham playing at the front of the 2-2-1 will get most of his points off layups after back tip steals.

I figured Beckham would get his and he did pouring in 24. This is a good measuring stick game and as far as playing 10 kids in the first I have no problem with that. If the first 5 can't get the ball up the court or defend then why not start subbing to see who can. I have no clue if that was Listermans thought process but its early folks just relax. I really like the Wellbrock kid. He looks put together and should be a good leader this season.

I figured Beckham would get his and he did pouring in 24. .

 

He was streaky. Huge first qtr and a big last qtr. In between, he was just OK.

 

Super quick.

 

Shot is not very good.

 

Can be a strong PG.

I am kinda surprised that no one has brought up what in my opinion was the classiest move of the night last night. It took me a while to learn why there was that delay in the start of the game. If what I heard is true, then kudo's to Coach L, on a very classy move. I heard Lex Cath turned in last years roster book. Technically they should have rec'd a technical and the game started with CovCath shooting free throws. Coach L didn't want to start this way apparently and said forget it, let's just play the game. I thought that was a very classy gesture for him. I am guessing there are Colonel fans who are upset about that now, but I liked it (and still do) What everyone else think?

, run to center court and bent over pretending to sign the CovCath logoDon't be silly, of course he was being disrespectful. Why else would he have after being introduced? Coming from some schools I would not have been too surprised, but I thought LexCath had more class than that. I believe had that been a CovCath player on another teams court, the kid would have spent the first half in the locker room.

 

Regarding the game. Lots of positives in this loss against a very good LexCath team. Shooting was poor pretty much all the way around, but they played better as a team.

 

Unless you know the young man in question you can only make assumptions about why he went to the circle and did what he did before the game. I think by watching Lex. Caths coach and the way he handles his team, he had no problem with what the young mans intent was.

 

As far as the chant the Crazies did midway through the 2nd period that should be addressed by the Cov cath administrators now, and should never be allowed to happen again! Should have been delt with last night! One should never question anyone else class or style without taking care of their own 1st.

 

Unless you know the young man in question you can only make assumptions about why he went to the circle and did what he did before the game. I think by watching Lex. Caths coach and the way he handles his team, he had no problem with what the young mans intent was.

 

As far as the chant the Crazies did midway through the 2nd period that should be addressed by the Cov cath administrators now, and should never be allowed to happen again! Should have been delt with last night! One should never question anyone else class or style without taking care of their own 1st.

 

As has already been stated on here, the players should be expected to demonstrate a high level of sportmanship. A coach has, or at least should have a very tight control on the player who takes the floor for him. If the player does not demonstrate what is viewed as good sportmanship in the coach's eyes, then the coach should hanlde that with the player. So, you are saying the coach has absolutely no problem with that young man signing his name on the floor of the opposing team, in front of everyone after his name is announced? Wow is all I can say about the coach then. I would like to see what happens when this young man does this then at some of the other gyms in the area.

 

As far as the crazies and chants, I am not sure which one you have taken exception with, but if there was an issue I am sure it will be dealt with. Again, fans unfortunately as it is, get away with much, much more than players at all levels of all sports. There have been many times over the years where the administration has taken exception to chants, themes, etc and they have been dealt with. Again it is much easier to deal with one player than it is the student body, at that given point in time.

How do you know the young man was signing his name, Maybe he was writing a message to honor someone he is/was close to you do not know, nor do I. I watched what he did, he ran to the center court used his finger to write something, then went to his bench, he did not gesture to the crowd or Cov cath players in any way at all. I was saying that from watching how intnese the Lex cath coach is, I would venture to say that he is aware of the players intent and does not have an issue with it.

 

 

As far as the game went, I think the Cov cath fans better get use to seeing teams play a bunch of zone against their team this year.

The expression on the young mans face after 'signing' I think told us enough of his intent. If there is something as you suggest, I would suggest to the coach of the Knights that he informs the other teams in advance from now on, as I am sure there will be teams/players taking much greater exception to his gesture, assuming he is disrespecting them. He is likely to cause somethings to happen during the game, or even after, that no one wants to happen.

 

I do agree that CovCath will see a lot of zone this year, until they can develop more consistent shooting.

What chant was out of line?

 

I am old school, the kid was simply trying to put the focus on himself, instead of the team. Whether or not he was dis-respecting Covcath or not, there is no place for that in HS sports. I am sure he is a good kid, and that he meant no ill will towards CovCath Players, but the bottom line is he was showboating.

 

I believe the kid is a Soph. as well. He is very talented. It drives me crazy when kids feel they have to do that type of demonstration to be noticed. I guarantee, more people of both my generation and his, would respect his hustle and athleticism than his goofy pre-game demonstration.

 

I don't know if Lexcath plays at Holmes, but if they do, and he does the same thing, I have a feeling his first trip into the lane will be a memorable one.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.