November 16, 200916 yr Looks like the statisticians better get cracking on digging up some old wins against high school or YMCA teams. I'm sure that there is a battle with the Harrison County Lions Club game from 1936 that has been lost somewhere!:thumb:
November 16, 200916 yr Author I'm sure that there is a battle with the Harrison County Lions Club game from 1936 that has been lost somewhere!:thumb: This makes me laugh, because I have a good friend who is a Carolina fan and he actually believes that Carolina has won 6 national titles. We have debated it many times, and he is dead set that they have won 6 (a YMCA championship back in the 30's). Those fans are crazy.
November 16, 200916 yr This makes me laugh, because I have a good friend who is a Carolina fan and he actually believes that Carolina has won 6 national titles. We have debated it many times, and he is dead set that they have won 6 (a YMCA championship back in the 30's). Those fans are crazy. That is correct. Actually it was the Helms Foundation title in '24 which was awarded by a board that examines pre-tourney titles and teams that were considered the best but did not participate in the NCAA tourney in the early years. Funniest part is that the UNC athletic office also perpetuates that slant but did not do so until Duke had won their THIRD NCAA title tying them at that time with UNC. :lol: One Tar Heel fan had such a cap on about five years ago. I told him, "You surely aren't counting that one are you?" "That's right, we have five titles, how many does UK have?" "If we count Helms, we have two to go with our seven; so that makes NINE." He walked away and the discussion ended.
November 16, 200916 yr UK 1st to 2K...Heck! I want UK to win them all, period! The past is the past. The game UK is playing is the most important to me no matter what number it is. Great post. Without looking it up, who was the first person in major league baseball to hit 100 home runs?
November 16, 200916 yr Great post. Without looking it up, who was the first person in major league baseball to hit 100 home runs? Who knows... but I can tell you the first to hit 200. And 300. And 400. And you get the point. I don't care a lot about the 2,000 win stuff, but I think that comparison is ever so slightly flawed, given when the 100th home run was probably hit. There are people alive that can recall UK's 1,000th win. BTW, you think it's difficult recalling the first to something like this. Who was the second man to hit 200, 300, 400, etc. home runs? You have even less chance of recalling that. I think some on here probably know who UK beat to 1,000, but not a lot would.
November 16, 200916 yr Author Who knows... but I can tell you the first to hit 200. And 300. And 400. And you get the point. I don't care a lot about the 2,000 win stuff, but I think that comparison is ever so slightly flawed, given when the 100th home run was probably hit. There are people alive that can recall UK's 1,000th win. BTW, you think it's difficult recalling the first to something like this. Who was the second man to hit 200, 300, 400, etc. home runs? You have even less chance of recalling that. I think some on here probably know who UK beat to 1,000, but not a lot would. Jan 18th, 1969 @ Tennessee.
November 16, 200916 yr Obviously in the grand scheme of things it is not that important. The fact they have more wins than anyone says more than anything else. But, it is still a good claim to fame to have.
November 16, 200916 yr Obviously in the grand scheme of things it is not that important. The fact they have more wins than anyone says more than anything else. But, it is still a good claim to fame to have. Agreed. It surprises me in this "what have you done for me lately" culture that folks hang onto this kind of thing. Of course, maybe the reason Tubby was all but run out of Lexington on a rail was that the race to 2,000 was in jeopardy.
November 16, 200916 yr Author Agreed. It surprises me in this "what have you done for me lately" culture that folks hang onto this kind of thing. Of course, maybe the reason Tubby was all but run out of Lexington on a rail was that the race to 2,000 was in jeopardy. IMHO, Tubby was run out of town due to inferior recruiting and style of play. Just was not up to UK standards. Glad he found a nice place in the Big 10 where his style is a better fit.
November 16, 200916 yr IMHO, Tubby was run out of town due to inferior recruiting and style of play. Just was not up to UK standards. Glad he found a nice place in the Big 10 where his style is a better fit. I seem to remember that style doing very well at UK....But i will agree that recruiting started to hurt OTS, But the style worked, Don't act like it didn't....We all know better
November 16, 200916 yr I seem to remember that style doing very well at UK....But i will agree that recruiting started to hurt OTS, But the style worked, Don't act like it didn't....We all know better :thumb: The style that didn't work was BCG's.
November 17, 200916 yr Author Update: UK: 1990 UNC: 1987 Next game UK on Thursday night vs. Sam Houston St.
November 17, 200916 yr I seem to remember that style doing very well at UK....But i will agree that recruiting started to hurt OTS, But the style worked, Don't act like it didn't....We all know better The last couple of seasons of his tenure, nothing worked.
November 17, 200916 yr The last couple of seasons of his tenure, nothing worked. Mr. Negative finally showed up... A blind man could see that hate you have for OTS, Watch him do great things at Minny...:sssh:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.