October 31, 200916 yr Same way Kentucky fans are willing to dismiss UCLA's past championships because they suspect they were ill-gotten, I prefer to believe that UK just got better at covering up its shadiness since then; in other words, they were forced to be less obvious and brazen about it. Tipton's been doing this a long time, and has had the time to build up a pretty extensive list of contacts. I would guarantee he gets a lot of tips from people of things to look into. This UK fan doesn't care what UCLA may or may not have done during that dominating run...there are way more than 12-15 good players on any given year...for UCLA to accomplish what they did...I don't remember the exact numbers, but I'm thinking 9 consecutive and 10 of 11 years, and perhaps 11 of 13 or something...also, 88 consecutive wins. Incredible run. I think that would be hard to match if you could handpick the guys you wanted for two decades. JMO That run will never be duplicated.
October 31, 200916 yr In a way, then, Calipari brought some of this on himself. There's an old saying: Don't make enemies with people who buy their ink by the barrel. They'll always have the last word. So what does Calipari's feelings for Tipton have to do with Patrick Patterson?
October 31, 200916 yr So what does Calipari's feelings for Tipton have to do with Patrick Patterson? Probably nothing. I still think you guys are looking for some malicious intent that just isn't there on this particular one, and really is just a mistake that any of us would make.
October 31, 200916 yr In a way, then, Calipari brought some of this on himself. There's an old saying: Don't make enemies with people who buy their ink by the barrel. They'll always have the last word. The only thing I have seen Calipari say is that he heard Tipton blasted him in the paper and that he didn't care and that he liked Tipton. I like when coaches go after media members when they are critical of the coaches themselves.
October 31, 200916 yr The only thing I have seen Calipari say is that he heard Tipton blasted him in the paper and that he didn't care and that he liked Tipton. I like when coaches go after media members when they are critical of the coaches themselves. You may like it, but it's still not a very smart thing for coaches to do, for the reason I outlined above. It's an unwinnable situation for coaches.
October 31, 200916 yr Probably nothing. I still think you guys are looking for some malicious intent that just isn't there on this particular one, and really is just a mistake that any of us would make. No, just enjoying the proof that Tipton isn't the bastion of journalistic integrity that you and RM made him out to be when everyone first started jumping on his case.
November 1, 200916 yr Probably nothing. I still think you guys are looking for some malicious intent that just isn't there on this particular one, and really is just a mistake that any of us would make. And I still think you have your head in the sand.
November 1, 200916 yr And I still think you have your head in the sand. OK then, riddle me this: If you were talking to some 21-year-old kid, any random kid, and he or she said they got a new car, wouldn't you assume they'd be driving it home that night? I think you and any other reasonable person would, and you're lying if you say you wouldn't.
November 1, 200916 yr OK then, riddle me this: If you were talking to some 21-year-old kid, any random kid, and he or she said they got a new car, wouldn't you assume they'd be driving it home that night? I think you and any other reasonable person would, and you're lying if you say you wouldn't. You're right about that, but isn't one of the first rules of a reporter supposed to be make sure you have your facts right when writing a story?
November 1, 200916 yr You're right about that, but isn't one of the first rules of a reporter supposed to be make sure you have your facts right when writing a story?If Tipton had staked out the parking lot to make sure, then he would have been accused of something far worse ... :lol:
November 1, 200916 yr OK then, riddle me this: If you were talking to some 21-year-old kid, any random kid, and he or she said they got a new car, wouldn't you assume they'd be driving it home that night? I think you and any other reasonable person would, and you're lying if you say you wouldn't. Why does it matter what he is driving. If Patterson said he got a 1998 Ford Tempo would it have been mentioned? Tipton was trying to bring attention to Patterson having a new car. A not so suttle way of saying something fishy was going on and he got caught up in his lie. All because of his dislike for Calipari.
November 1, 200916 yr Why does it matter what he is driving. If Patterson said he got a 1998 Ford Tempo would it have been mentioned? Tipton was trying to bring attention to Patterson having a new car. A not so suttle way of saying something fishy was going on and he got caught up in his lie. All because of his dislike for Calipari. I didn't say it wasn't. I already said one of the reasons he mentioned it was because college hoopster + new car = red flags. My other question is the more important matter. Wanna take a swing?
November 1, 200916 yr I didn't say it wasn't. I already said one of the reasons he mentioned it was because college hoopster + new car = red flags. My other question is the more important matter. Wanna take a swing? I'm sorry but what question was that?
November 1, 200916 yr I didn't say it wasn't. I already said one of the reasons he mentioned it was because college hoopster + new car = red flags. My other question is the more important matter. Wanna take a swing? I answered your question Jim, how about answering my question about reporters making sure they get the facts.
November 1, 200916 yr I answered your question Jim, how about answering my question about reporters making sure they get the facts. :popcorn:
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.