Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Obtaining Game Films of Your Opponents

Featured Replies

Is there some sort of rule or code regarding getting game film on your opponent?

 

Lets say I coach Team A and I think I'm playing Team B in the playoffs.

 

Team C has already played Team B. Can't I just call them and get their game film?

 

I'm under the impression that that act is either not allowed or frowned upon.

No rule on this. It might be frowned upon by some, but it happens everywhere.

 

Basketball coaches are the worst. I've never understood them anyway. They usually will never trade with each other. They make each other call every other team and beg for film. At least football coaches (for the most part) will trade with each other....

No rule on this. It might be frowned upon by some, but it happens everywhere.

 

Basketball coaches are the worst. I've never understood them anyway. They usually will never trade with each other. They make each other call every other team and beg for film. At least football coaches (for the most part) will trade with each other....

 

The basketball coaches I know trade all the time.

No rule on this. It might be frowned upon by some, but it happens everywhere.

 

Basketball coaches are the worst. I've never understood them anyway. They usually will never trade with each other. They make each other call every other team and beg for film. At least football coaches (for the most part) will trade with each other....

 

Yes, there actually is a rule. Check out the KHSAA tournament rules, part G on page 69 (also governs regular season). http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/tournamentrules/fbtournamentrules.pdf The football coaches finally got tired of some of the old "tricks" and made a standard.

Kissinger -- what would the penalty be for a team that declines to abide by one of the rules...specifically, when a home team refuses to allow the visiting team to shoot their film from the same area as the home team?

 

Also, what would the penalty be for a team that's known to do their video in the same booth room as their COACHES, the video downloads into a recording device, thus giving the booth coaches the ability to rewind and view film during the game (something I KNOW to be illegal).

I know come playoff time some districts try to have a mutual understanding they won't trade tapes of each other to other teams.

Kissinger -- what would the penalty be for a team that declines to abide by one of the rules...specifically, when a home team refuses to allow the visiting team to shoot their film from the same area as the home team?

 

Also, what would the penalty be for a team that's known to do their video in the same booth room as their COACHES, the video downloads into a recording device, thus giving the booth coaches the ability to rewind and view film during the game (something I KNOW to be illegal).

 

Do the Patriots have a film crew training in KY??? :banana:

Yes, there actually is a rule. Check out the KHSAA tournament rules, part G on page 69 (also governs regular season). http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/tournamentrules/fbtournamentrules.pdf The football coaches finally got tired of some of the old "tricks" and made a standard.

 

According to that, each team must trade 2 films of their opponents choice with the upcoming opponent.

 

But what about 3rd party film trades? I think that is what Clyde is asking.

 

I don't think their is any restriction on that, although, like Clyde mentioned it seems like maybe that isn't a well received idea among the coaching fraternity.

 

Additionally, it seems to me like a regional bias exists in some areas and teams won't give away film on other local teams to teams from out of the area. For example, if Bell County wanted film on Highlands, they may be able to get it from other teams Highlands had played statewide, but they would not likely be able to get any films from other Northern KY schools. Gentlemens agreement I suppose?

The biggest problem is the quality of the film that is exchanged. Every year @ coaches clinic the rules of filming games are gone over and over again. Yet most of the time when you recieve film it is low quality. Sometimes you can't even see the secondary in the film. This is not done by mistake. Anyone else have this problem? I would like to know.:confused:

The biggest problem is the quality of the film that is exchanged. Every year @ coaches clinic the rules of filming games are gone over and over again. Yet most of the time when you recieve film it is low quality. Sometimes you can't even see the secondary in the film. This is not done by mistake. Anyone else have this problem? I would like to know.:confused:

Also, huddle breaks, down and distance markers and conclusion of the play are supposed to be taped, but many don't do that. Most are poor attempts, or non-attempts.

According to that, each team must trade 2 films of their opponents choice with the upcoming opponent.

 

But what about 3rd party film trades? I think that is what Clyde is asking.

 

I don't think their is any restriction on that, although, like Clyde mentioned it seems like maybe that isn't a well received idea among the coaching fraternity.

 

Additionally, it seems to me like a regional bias exists in some areas and teams won't give away film on other local teams to teams from out of the area. For example, if Bell County wanted film on Highlands, they may be able to get it from other teams Highlands had played statewide, but they would not likely be able to get any films from other Northern KY schools. Gentlemens agreement I suppose?

 

Most (if not all) NKY teams will trade tape on Highlands.

I've yet to see the camera that can record numbers visibly while also being far enough away to have the entire secondary as well as the backs. Typically we've always filmed from the furthest running back to the edge of the linebackers. I've yet to hear one complaint. We meet only 8 out of the 14 guidelines in that text (which this is the first time I've seen that). Most of the ones we don't meet are negligible things, like the down and distance and clock shots. Do people really care about that?

I've yet to see the camera that can record numbers visibly while also being far enough away to have the entire secondary as well as the backs. Typically we've always filmed from the furthest running back to the edge of the linebackers. I've yet to hear one complaint. We meet only 8 out of the 14 guidelines in that text (which this is the first time I've seen that). Most of the ones we don't meet are negligible things, like the down and distance and clock shots. Do people really care about that?

 

Coaches absolutely care on down and distance. That is crucial.

I've yet to see the camera that can record numbers visibly while also being far enough away to have the entire secondary as well as the backs. Typically we've always filmed from the furthest running back to the edge of the linebackers. I've yet to hear one complaint. We meet only 8 out of the 14 guidelines in that text (which this is the first time I've seen that). Most of the ones we don't meet are negligible things, like the down and distance and clock shots. Do people really care about that?

 

YES! If a team is having alot of success running the ball on 3rd and long you'd bet an opposing coach wants to be able to realize that by being able to see the down and distance. Most teams have some tendencies, coach want to be able to prepare for that, gives the players a chance to recognize formations and what plays the opposing teams may run out of them.

Well, the markers are always clear in the film, but we don't do a specific shot of them.

 

All we ever hear from the opposing coaches is how good the film looked. But we seriously don't follow several of those guidelines in the least.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.