October 8, 200916 yr My dad was a football, wrestking and track & field coach in the late 50s and early 60s. He passed along his passion for sports in general, and those sports in particular, to me. Wrestling has kind of fallen by the wayside (even though it's the only sport I lettered in); right now I'd say my favorite spectator sports are, in order, football, track & field, golf, basketball and cross-country. I grew up an Orioles and Colts fan. Johnny Unitas, Brooks and Frank Robinson were my sports idols growing up. When the Colts moved to Indy like a thief in the night, I no longer claimed them as "my team". I guess I'm still an O's fan, but it has been worse than ugly for many years.
October 8, 200916 yr I got my love of UofL (and, to a lesser degree, Indiana) hoops from my father. However, he never was a huge football or baseball fan, so I had to forge my own path there. I first started watching both when the Reds were winning World Series and the Steelers were winning Super Bowls in the '70s, so there you have it.
October 8, 200916 yr I chose my own teams really...my dad wasn't that in to sports. He likes racing, and I guess we have the same favorite Nascar driver (Mark Martin).
October 8, 200916 yr I am definitely a fan of the UK Wildacts cause of dad. Definitely a Bengals and Reds fan because of grandpa.
October 8, 200916 yr UK basketball and Bengals football from my dad. Red Sox and Patriots because I love the city of Boston. Michigan because growing up, I thought their uniforms were awesome. :lol:
October 8, 200916 yr My Dad was big on the Reds and Kentucky,which got pass down to me. Now my two sons the youngest one, the Reds and Kentucky are his teams,but my oldest son only Kentucky is his team,for some reason he likes the New York Mets. On where did I go wrong with him?:idunno:
October 8, 200916 yr I chose to be a UK fan also and growing up in the Cincinnati area I automatically became a Reds and Bengal fan.
October 8, 200916 yr My dad was never into sports, I got my athletic genes from my mom's side of the family :lol:, but I got started being a Cubs fan because, growing up in Mississippi, only the Cubs were on TV back then. I blame the fact I didn't become a Card fan on my dad though. WHen I was 7 years old my dad was dating a woman thru work and she lived in St. Louis and he wanted me to go with him up there and I made him promise to take me to a Cardinal game cause I always wanted to see an MLB game, he promised, then didn't deliver:irked:. I'm convinced that likely would have made me a Card fan thus making my life a lot easier :lol: When it comes to my kids if I ever have any lol, my son will be named Ryne so he won't have a chance Growing up in Mississippi, my whole family were Miss St. fans, and I rebelled and cheared for Ole Miss, I still catch crap when I wear my Ole Miss hat or shirts, and every year I get at least one State gift for Christmas. I'm also a big UK fan cause we moved to KY in the early 90's when UK basketball was GREAT and I fell in love with the Cats!
October 8, 200916 yr UK from my uncles and grandpa. Reds because I could listen to them at night when I was supposed to be sleeping. :lol: Bengals pretty much because I live here and like to tailgate.
October 8, 200916 yr My dad was a huge UK and Reds fan. I can remember my dad, grandpa, uncles, and friends gathered around the radio listening to UK basketball games when I was a youngster in the early 1960's. Same thing in the summer with Reds games. He didn't follow football though. Our high school has never had football and most of the locals in my county didn't know much about the game back then. That's changed over the years due to TV coverage. Those in the county that now follow football are fans of UK and the Bengals.
October 9, 200916 yr My dad's favorite teams: Bengals, UK, and Ohio State My favorite teams: Well, my avatar explains it I have been a Duke fan since I was born and my dad always complained about Laettner which for some reason made me become a Duke fan. Jacksonville, when I was little I loved their helmets and that stuck with me as my favorite team. USC I just have always liked.
October 9, 200916 yr Sons love Bama...but not the Yankees, but some of them are named after the Bear. "Bear" say it like this "Beeear" One son is a Cubs fans.
October 9, 200916 yr My dad only liked boxing and he and I both LOVE Ali. He wasn't that into other sports, but I grew up a HUGE UK fan in all sports. My brother was a big Staubach fan, so i'm cursed with being a Cowboys fan. I can't stand Romo or Jerry Jones. I wish I could switch teams. I've always liked the Reds and Bengals as my aunt and uncle lived in Dayton and I used to spend time up there watching the Reds with them. I have a dauther now and she really doesn't care anything about sports. We live in TN and she decided she would root for the Vols a couple of years ago. When she watched the OT game in Commonwealth with me and understood (at 7 years old) what that loss...and the previous 22 at that time did to me she told me she will love UK with me forever. Now, i've cursed her too. That is love though.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.