Jody Demling's 2010 player rankings

Like I said. AAU is set up for coaches to see a lot players with ease. But there are still a lot of coaches at high school games on a regular basis. I think AAU's set up isn't a good representation about how good a lot of players really are. The way an AAU game is played is polar opposite that of an NCAA game. So with players like Chris Lofton, Shelvin Mack, Vee Sanford, Richie Phares, Ricardo Johnson, and Chad Jackson for example, they are unselfish and not overly flashy and they aren't noticed in AAU. Yet those guys are highly talented players who have and IMO will prove their worth in college.

I believe that Jackson got offers from Xavier and W. Virginia via AAU ball as a freshman. I think one or more of these offers came directly after the Adidas it Takes 5 AAU tournament. Ricardo may not be flashy, but he is very good. I believe good coaches will notice talented players in AAU, even if they are unselfish. Vee Sanford played for the Shining Stars. I bet that Georgetown first found out about him and became interested through an AAU tournament. I think those are all excellent players. How could they not be noticed in AAU? If I'm not mistaken, Phares played for Derek Smith and had offers as a result of his play with them.

I don't agree that AAU is a polar opposite from all college teams. It really depends on the college's preferred style of play. For example, there are a lot of players taking their man off the dribble and attacking the basket or kicking out to 3-point shooters in AAU. Some colleges also have this style (even if they aren't always big colleges), and they look for players with these qualities who fit that type of system.

Some player's skills are more suited to and and highlighted by AAU ball's faster, open game, while others stand out in a defensive or more deliberate, slower-paced, half court game like many high schools play. Most high schools don't have the number of good athletes and depth to play consistently at a fast pace like an AAU team does. I think there is more variety in college. There are certainly teams like the old Loyola Marymount team and UNLV teams who prefer the fast pace, high scoring games and to try to outscore their opponents by scoring 80+ a game instead of trying to win by holding their opponent to the 50s every game.

It's fun to debate. In the end the college coaches pick the best players (except the tall ones solely picked on potential), regardless of whether they see them in high school or AAU.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that Jackson got offers from Xavier and W. Virginia via AAU ball as a freshman. I think one or more of these offers came directly after the Adidas it Takes 5 AAU tournament. Ricardo may not be flashy, but he is very good. I believe good coaches will notice talented players in AAU, even if they are unselfish. Vee Sanford played for the Shining Stars. I bet that Georgetown first found out about him and became interested through an AAU tournament. I think those are all excellent players. How could they not be noticed in AAU? If I'm not mistaken, Phares played for Derek Smith and had offers as a result of his play with them.

I don't agree that AAU is a polar opposite from all college teams. It really depends on the college's preferred style of play. For example, there are a lot of players taking their man off the dribble and attacking the basket or kicking out to 3-point shooters in AAU. Some colleges also have this style (even if they aren't always big colleges), and they look for players with these qualities who fit that type of system.

Some player's skills are more suited to and and highlighted by AAU ball's faster, open game, while others stand out in a defensive or more deliberate, slower-paced, half court game like many high schools play. Most high schools don't have the number of good athletes and depth to play consistently at a fast pace like an AAU team does. I think there is more variety in college. There are certainly teams like the old Loyola Marymount team and UNLV teams who prefer the fast pace, high scoring games and to try to outscore their opponents by scoring 80+ a game instead of trying to win by holding their opponent to the 50s every game.

It's fun to debate. In the end the college coaches pick the best players (except the tall ones solely picked on potential), regardless of whether they see them in high school or AAU.

Twany Beckham (Ballard) landed his offers from AAU as well. In fact, it was at the Adidas Top 10 camp where Beckham a junior-to-be and Jacob Jenkins a frosh-to-be landed their first D1 offers. College coaches attend these camps as well as AAU to locate talent. Beckham landed his Mississippi State offer while going to prep after choosing not to honor his committment to IUPUI.

Hood's stock soared after joining the Nashville Celtics AAU as did Guyn with Indiana Elite. Sometimes its more about the AAU program a player plays for than just the AAU event too.

The bottom line with AAU is you see the best players at the same location for the most part v. a couple (maybe) at a HS game. Calapari obviously isn't any different, as he was walking around the "Milkhouse" in Orlando with all the other coaches !

In the case of Ricardo, he made his name in HS ball, but there were a minimum of six schools at every game he played in Orlando. They wanted him to know they were there AND perhaps spot someone on his team or the opposing team....

Twany Beckham (Ballard) landed his offers from AAU as well. In fact, it was at the Adidas Top 10 camp where Beckham a junior-to-be and Jacob Jenkins a frosh-to-be landed their first D1 offers. College coaches attend these camps as well as AAU to locate talent. Beckham landed his Mississippi State offer while going to prep after choosing not to honor his committment to IUPUI.

Hood's stock soared after joining the Nashville Celtics AAU as did Guyn with Indiana Elite. Sometimes its more about the AAU program a player plays for than just the AAU event too.

From what I have heard Guyn was offered a scholarship this spring following the regional championship game between Scott Co. and LexCath. Charlotte's staff was at the game looking at Sanford. They offered him a scholarship a week or 2 after the game.

I don't know if the WVA and Xavier offers are still on the table for Jackson, but if they were I don't know why he wouldn't choose 1 of those 2 schools. As for Sanford, to my knowledge he really started getting a lot of coaches interested in him after the Marshall Co. Hoopfest.

I am not saying players don't get noticed in AAU. They obviously do. One thing I have heard a lot is college coaches saying that they like a player, but before offering a lot of them would like to see how they do in a high school game. Not all coahes, but I have heard that a lot. I think AAU in general is not good for the game of basketball, but its become something that kids that don't play for big bball programs almost must do to get noticed.

I don't know if the WVA and Xavier offers are still on the table for Jackson, but if they were I don't know why he wouldn't choose 1 of those 2 schools. As for Sanford, to my knowledge he really started getting a lot of coaches interested in him after the Marshall Co. Hoopfest.

I am not saying players don't get noticed in AAU. They obviously do. One thing I have heard a lot is college coaches saying that they like a player, but before offering a lot of them would like to see how they do in a high school game. Not all coahes, but I have heard that a lot. I think AAU in general is not good for the game of basketball, but its become something that kids that don't play for big bball programs almost must do to get noticed.

It's now a moot point for Jackson on the Xavier and West Virginia offers. He's committed to EKU. Speaking of West Virginia, coach Huggins was Thomas More Prep today for their workout scouting a guard.

Ty Proffitt of South Laurel got his Notre Dame offer off the AAU circuit with the DS Allstars.

It's now a moot point for Jackson on the Xavier and West Virginia offers. He's committed to EKU. Speaking of West Virginia, coach Huggins was Thomas More Prep today for their workout scouting a guard.

Ty Proffitt of South Laurel got his Notre Dame offer off the AAU circuit with the DS Allstars.

I'm not sure about Jackson to EKU. I heard it was reported, but the report was false.

According to Chad himself, he currently has no offers. In this interview with full court preps. I don't know hold old this is but I know it was sometime this summer. Here is the link:

http://fullcourtpreps.blogspot.com/2009/01/chad-jackson.html

I don't think they are on the table anymore. I do think they like to also watch players in a high school game. I still think AAU ball is good because 1.) It gives kids more PT and 2.) they are playing against some of the best players on a more consistent basis.

I don't think they are on the table anymore. I do think they like to also watch players in a high school game. I still think AAU ball is good because 1.) It gives kids more PT and 2.) they are playing against some of the best players on a more consistent basis.

I think there is 2 really bad things about AAU. One is players learn bad habits. Its a 1 on 1 type game so what you see is the player with the ball looking to attack and everyone else standing. Also teams learn to stand around and not play defense. Some teams may play 6 or 7 games in a weekend and they aren't going to play hard. The other negative thing is there is so many shady people around AAU events as coaches (not all coaches, but a lot of them) and other spectators.

I think there is 2 really bad things about AAU. One is players learn bad habits. Its a 1 on 1 type game so what you see is the player with the ball looking to attack and everyone else standing. Also teams learn to stand around and not play defense. Some teams may play 6 or 7 games in a weekend and they aren't going to play hard. The other negative thing is there is so many shady people around AAU events as coaches (not all coaches, but a lot of them) and other spectators.

They may play 5 games in a weekend, but often all 10 players on an AAU team are very good and often split time equally in the games. In high school games, you don't find too many 10-player rotations. Sure there are some AAU coaches who aren't good and don't have the best interest of the kids, but there are also some very good ones who are out for the kids' benefits.

I think in crunch time in big AAU games/tournaments, you see players play hard especially when they know they are playing in front of college scouts and coaches.

There are more 1-on-1 players in AAU, but it's the coach's job to reign those players in unless they are just superstars carrying the team. Otherwise, the other players who are standing around need to find a different team where they can be more involved.

I can tell that you coach or help coach high school basketball by the comments you make. You apparently have not been around AAU basketball, you have never played AAU basketball, don't have a kid that has ever played AAU basketball nor have you ever coached AAU basketball. Your comments are stereotypical of some of the trash that pertain to unique instances.

Overall AAU basketball is great for the kids that participate. Unlike high school coaches that get paid to do what they do (I will admit that it is not much at times) AAU coaches do not get paid for their effort. The majority of the coaches have the best interest for the kids and dedicate many many hours to practicing and traveling with the team. Actually, I would say most of the coaches don't even have a kid on the team.

AAU basketball starts out in the third grade and goes up through the summer before their senior year. From third grade to eighth grade they start playing in the fall and finish at the end of July. Once a kid get to the 15U-17U levels they only play April, May and July. I guess you would rather see these kids sitting at home playing with their Play Station III.

AAU basketball gives kids the opportunity to play against the top competition at their age level across the state and nation sometimes. You can't get that at the local YMCA league. Most teams practice and play dozens and sometimes up to 100 games in a season. AAU basketball is one of the reasons there is so much parity at the college level now. Kids get to play year-round.

A comment like "AAU in general is not good for the game of basketball" shows your lack of knowledge or experience with AAU sports.

What you've stated above also happens in high school basketball. It just depends who is coaching the team. I've seen high school basketball teams exactly like you described above. If a kid learns bad habits, it's up to the high school coach to change his/her way of play. I would much rather see a kid playing ball during their off time than sitting around doing nothing or getting into something they shouldn't be getting into.

I've seen a lot of AAU games and no matter how many games they play in a weekend, if they are a competive team they always play hard. They may be wore out but they don't give up and quit playing.

SHADY PEOPLE? Give it a break! There are shady people everywhere. Sounds to me like you are running with the wrong crowd! Or maybe this is another one of your stereotypical comments.

Edited by fullcourt

I can tell that you coach or help coach high school basketball by the comments you make. You apparently have not been around AAU basketball, you have never played AAU basketball, don't have a kid that has ever played AAU basketball nor have you ever coached AAU basketball. Your comments are stereotypical of some of the trash that pertain to unique instances.

Overall AAU basketball is great for the kids that participate. Unlike high school coaches that get paid to do what they do (I will admit that it is not much at times) AAU coaches do not get paid for their effort. The majority of the coaches have the best interest for the kids and dedicate many many hours to practicing and traveling with the team. Actually, I would say most of the coaches don't even have a kid on the team.

AAU basketball starts out in the third grade and goes up through the summer before their senior year. From third grade to eighth grade they start playing in the fall and finish at the end of July. Once a kid get to the 15U-17U levels they only play April, May and July. I guess you would rather see these kids sitting at home playing with their Play Station III.

AAU basketball gives kids the opportunity to play against the top competition at their age level across the state and nation sometimes. You can't get that at the local YMCA league. Most teams practice and play dozens and sometimes up to 100 games in a season. AAU basketball is one of the reasons there is so much parity at the college level now. Kids get to play year-round.

A comment like "AAU in general is not good for the game of basketball" shows your lack of knowledge or experience with AAU sports.

What you've stated above also happens in high school basketball. It just depends who is coaching the team. I've seen high school basketball teams exactly like you described above. If a kid learns bad habits, it's up to the high school coach to change his/her way of play. I would much rather see a kid playing ball during their off time than sitting around doing nothing or getting into something they shouldn't be getting into.

I've seen a lot of AAU games and no matter how many games they play in a weekend, if they are a competive team they always play hard. They may be wore out but they don't give up and quit playing.

SHADY PEOPLE? Give it a break! There are shady people everywhere. Sounds to me like you are running with the wrong crowd! Or maybe this is another one of your stereotypical comments.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::ylsuper:

Obviously you are probably an AAU coach or involved in AAU. I think in general it has not been good for the game of basketball. That is my opinion and you can say whatever you want about it. I am a big fan of basketball in Kentucky. I choose to go to a lot of high school games. I live in Lexington so I see a lot of 11th region games and also a lot of 13th region games. I attend the state AAU tournament every year in early May to see most of the good players in the state. Ive also attended some bigger events in Cinncinatti and Louisville. The intensity in an AAU game simply does not compare to that of a high school game. I like hearing about guys like Stephon Curry who didn't play AAU and was a top 10 draft pick this year. He spent his time developing fundamentals.

We will just have to agree to disagree. We have gotten way off topic so if I can manage I am going to try not to discuss this again in the thread.