Nw NFHS Rule Change

Pat Dad

• 1 month later...
This will effect bats for the 2012 season.

Also, another new rule states that only the head coach will be allowed to come out of the vicinity of the dugout to argue a call.

NFHS Rules Change

Would that include a first base coach complaining about a call at first? This is the only sport where only 1 coach can say something to an official.

Would that include a first base coach complaining about a call at first? This is the only sport where only 1 coach can say something to an official.

Unless there is more to the wording of the rule than mentioned I'd say that it does not apply to the first base coach arguing while he's actually the first base coach ie while his team is batting.

Unless there is more to the wording of the rule than mentioned I'd say that it does not apply to the first base coach arguing while he's actually the first base coach ie while his team is batting.

I would hope that the first base coach could say something, it would be hard for the 3rd base coach be able to have an argument on the other side of the field.

As far as the bat rule, I think it is great...especially as a former pitcher. I think that a lot of teams don't use baseball skills like bunting enough, maybe getting rid of these loaded bats will have teams going back to the basics.

Oh, I know a coach who bunts and bunts a lot! :D

Another major rule addition applies to assistant coaches and their behavior during the game. Rule 3-3-1g6 prohibits any member of the coaching staff who is not the head coach from leaving “the vicinity of the dugout or coaching box to dispute a judgment call by an umpire.” The penalty for this infraction is that both the head coach and the offending coach will be restricted to the dugout for the remainder of the game. If severe enough, the umpire also has the authority to eject the offending coach and/or the head coach.

From what I read, a AC can complain about a call but must stay in the dugout or in the coaches box to do it.