August 12, 200917 yr Don't you all worry that Vick was playing terrible then took 2 years off out of the league? I think Vick was the highest payed player in the league at one point... He wasn't playing THAT bad.
August 12, 200917 yr Don't you all worry that Vick was playing terrible then took 2 years off out of the league? When in comparison to VY? NO
August 12, 200917 yr First let me say that I should not have said cancer. I should have said a distraction instead. #1 With Vick you'll get all the animal activist ralling at all the games. Here's the short story of what took place at the home Vick owned in Virginia that was occupied by his nephew .... At the home were 70 Dog Kennels, 60+ malnourished/scarred/filthy Pit Bull Dogs, and materials associated with dog fighting (rape stand, altered treadmill, and bloodied pieces of carpet). Sure Vick only owned the home and claimed to had not known of his nephews transgressions; the only problem with that story, is that Vick himself is the owner of a Pit Bull breeding business. Vick's past is not going to win over anybody soon. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_zm322zCeA Is this something that could be a distraction to a team? #2 I don’t care how frustrated Michael Vick was or what was said to him as he walked off the field at the Georgia Dome. Flipping off fans is unacceptable, following Atlanta’s 31-13 loss to New Orleans. As a team owner do you need this mess if you don't need them? Vince Young’s increasingly erratic behavior is causing concern in the Titans organization. IMO his wheel is turning , but the hampster is dead. You said you do not need them to be the man this year. Both are distractions that you do not need as a GM,but these are only my opinions. Maybe everybody else will think differently. Thats funny, I will have to use this line in the future. :lol:
August 12, 200917 yr Depends on what kind of team I have. If I have a playoff team, I may want VY. Why? Well atleast he has been on a roster to practice/play for the last two years. He may be crazy, but he does win. If I have a team like the Raiders, Lions, Bengals (insert pathetic team here), I take Vick. He is a risk because he hasn't played, but if he gets back to form he can take a horrible team and make the relevant.
August 12, 200917 yr Based on results, it has to be Vick. But, whether it was his own decision to prove he could do it, or whether it was the Titans forcing him to, Vince Young virtually quit running as the QB in Tennessee. If he'd have played similarly to Vick, I think he'd have looked a little better. I never understood why teams seem so in love with these "dual-threat" QB's in the draft, then when they get them, they immediately try to turn them into Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. It's a wasted pick, IMO. You have to let those guys do what they do and hope you can work with them over time to turn them into a more polished passer...look at McNabb. (In fairness, I think McNabb was probably a better passer coming into the league.) JMO
August 12, 200917 yr I would like to go another route, ... but if the choice is between Vick and Young, I would take Vick without hesitation.
August 12, 200917 yr Based on results, it has to be Vick. But, whether it was his own decision to prove he could do it, or whether it was the Titans forcing him to, Vince Young virtually quit running as the QB in Tennessee. If he'd have played similarly to Vick, I think he'd have looked a little better. I never understood why teams seem so in love with these "dual-threat" QB's in the draft, then when they get them, they immediately try to turn them into Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. It's a wasted pick, IMO. You have to let those guys do what they do and hope you can work with them over time to turn them into a more polished passer...look at McNabb. (In fairness, I think McNabb was probably a better passer coming into the league.) JMO Great point. IMO, it's because teams are stupid. They draft these guys who can really run, and then they are too scared to let them do it. If you take away a QB like Young's running game they are not ever going to thrive because it's hard for them to get a feel for the game. You can be a dual threat guy and win in the NFL, look at Steve Young. To me a guy like Vick or Young can do the same thing completing 54% of their passes that another QB can do completing 60%, because of what they add in the run game. Traditionalist will never agree with that but look at the wins that Vick and McNabb led their teams to over the years. But of course McNabb does throw for a higher percentage than most "dual-threat" QB's.
August 12, 200917 yr Author First let me say that I should not have said cancer. I should have said a distraction instead. . Gotcha.
August 13, 200917 yr Great point. IMO, it's because teams are stupid. They draft these guys who can really run, and then they are too scared to let them do it. If you take away a QB like Young's running game they are not ever going to thrive because it's hard for them to get a feel for the game. You can be a dual threat guy and win in the NFL, look at Steve Young. To me a guy like Vick or Young can do the same thing completing 54% of their passes that another QB can do completing 60%, because of what they add in the run game. Traditionalist will never agree with that but look at the wins that Vick and McNabb led their teams to over the years. But of course McNabb does throw for a higher percentage than most "dual-threat" QB's. McNabb developed into a pocket QB with an above average ability to run. I think with guys like that you have to be willing to let them run, especially early in their careers. While that's happening, you need to be able to polish their passing ability, and hope at some point they transition to a passing QB with the ability to run. You can't draft them and expect Steve Young or Donovan McNabb to be your QB in year 2 or 3...it takes time. I also believe bottling them up and forcing them to be pocket passers actually hinders their growth...you're taking away their comfort zone of being able to run and putting them in a situation where they aren't comfortable and aren't confident, and where they're almost certainly going to fail. Once the confidence is shaken, you have a whole new set of problems. As I said before, I don't know if Tennessee forced Vince to quit running, or if Vince himself did it to prove he could be a typical NFL QB...but, either way, it was the wrong move. If you're afraid your QB is going to get hurt when he scrambles, then don't draft guys like Vince Young and Michael Vick. It's that simple.
August 13, 200917 yr Great point. IMO, it's because teams are stupid. They draft these guys who can really run, and then they are too scared to let them do it. If you take away a QB like Young's running game they are not ever going to thrive because it's hard for them to get a feel for the game. You can be a dual threat guy and win in the NFL, look at Steve Young. To me a guy like Vick or Young can do the same thing completing 54% of their passes that another QB can do completing 60%, because of what they add in the run game. Traditionalist will never agree with that but look at the wins that Vick and McNabb led their teams to over the years. But of course McNabb does throw for a higher percentage than most "dual-threat" QB's. McNabb developed into a pocket QB with an above average ability to run. I think with guys like that you have to be willing to let them run, especially early in their careers. While that's happening, you need to be able to polish their passing ability, and hope at some point they transition to a passing QB with the ability to run. You can't draft them and expect Steve Young or Donovan McNabb to be your QB in year 2 or 3...it takes time. I also believe bottling them up and forcing them to be pocket passers actually hinders their growth...you're taking away their comfort zone of being able to run and putting them in a situation where they aren't comfortable and aren't confident, and where they're almost certainly going to fail. Once the confidence is shaken, you have a whole new set of problems. As I said before, I don't know if Tennessee forced Vince to quit running, or if Vince himself did it to prove he could be a typical NFL QB...but, either way, it was the wrong move. If you're afraid your QB is going to get hurt when he scrambles, then don't draft guys like Vince Young and Michael Vick. It's that simple. Just to add to this discussion, I do not think NFL GMs ever draft these guys to play a dual threat role, in its most traditional sense. They have the capability of running in situations, but they want to keep these guys in the pocket for the investment. You are right Cats in your 54%/60% comment. McNabb ended up being a very capable runner in situations, while not being a burner - but he is able to more effectively deliver the ball. Vick nor Young have proved they can remotely do that.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.