August 13, 200917 yr Just to add to this discussion, I do not think NFL GMs ever draft these guys to play a dual threat role, in its most traditional sense. They have the capability of running in situations, but they want to keep these guys in the pocket for the investment. You are right Cats in your 54%/60% comment. McNabb ended up being a very capable runner in situations, while not being a burner - but he is able to more effectively deliver the ball. Vick nor Young have proved they can remotely do that. And, that's why they're wasting picks, IMO. I'm not saying to turn them loose like they were back at Texas, VaTech, etc. But, they become so obsessed with making them stand in the pocket and pass, I think it hurts their development. The ultimate goal is and should be to have a guy like Young, McNair or McNabb...legit pocket passers who can do a lot of damage with their feet, and know when to pick their spots. The problem I have is expecting that to happen too fast. I don't really think Atlanta restricted Vick's running that much. But, VY, in his second year, seemed to abhor the thought of running the football. He reminded me of UK basketball players that looked afraid to shoot during Tubby's tenure. I think teams need to be more patient with these guys and not expect a miracle in one off-season. Or, take the McNair approach and let him sit on the bench for a couple of season to learn. But, in all honesty, I view McNair and McNabb different than Young and Vick. Both McNair and McNabb were better passers in college. They had a leg up in that area from the start.
August 13, 200917 yr Just to add to this discussion, I do not think NFL GMs ever draft these guys to play a dual threat role, in its most traditional sense. They have the capability of running in situations, but they want to keep these guys in the pocket for the investment. You are right Cats in your 54%/60% comment. McNabb ended up being a very capable runner in situations, while not being a burner - but he is able to more effectively deliver the ball. Vick nor Young have proved they can remotely do that. I don't think the Falcons drafted Vick (or the Titans drated Young) to exclusively stay in the pocket. Vick had many run plays called especially for him, and the Titans have used a little bit of zone read with Young. As far as McNabb being a better passer, I will say that he has a lot more friendly of a passing offense than Vick or Young have had for most of their careers. McNabb isn't extremely accurate, but he knows the Eagles system and is able to be a capable QB with it. I think with coaching Vick could do that, and possibly Young could as well.
August 13, 200917 yr I don't think the Falcons drafted Vick (or the Titans drated Young) to exclusively stay in the pocket. Vick had many run plays called especially for him, and the Titans have used a little bit of zone read with Young. As far as McNabb being a better passer, I will say that he has a lot more friendly of a passing offense than Vick or Young have had for most of their careers. McNabb isn't extremely accurate, but he knows the Eagles system and is able to be a capable QB with it. I think with coaching Vick could do that, and possibly Young could as well. I believe the GMs want Young and Vick to be like McNabb... someone that can effectively pass the ball and if they must, be effective at running the ball, not the other way around (if that makes sense).
August 13, 200917 yr Neither, I would want to stay away from both of them. Having said that if I had to choose it would be Vick.
August 13, 200917 yr I believe the GMs want Young and Vick to be like McNabb... someone that can effectively pass the ball and if they must, be effective at running the ball, not the other way around (if that makes sense). I see where you are going. Vick had alot more upside and potential than McNabb, as he had a stronger arm and was a lot quicker.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.