May 23, 200917 yr The more I think about it, the more I can't understand why he'd get a year suspension.... I don't understand it either.
May 23, 200917 yr It probably won't do any good, but let's wear out this fax number. At least I'm certainly going to let them know how I feel about some things.:irked: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?key=/ncaa/ncaa/legislation+and+governance/compliance/student-athlete+reinstatement/student_athlete_reinstatement.html
May 24, 200917 yr No you said "I blame the coaching staff if he didn't know because it is their job to inform the players of banned substances" Lost in translation? Translation is if Coach Brooks did not inform the team of the NCAA banned substance then Brooks is to blame. If Brooks DID inform him then Jarmon is to blame.
May 24, 200917 yr I'm pretty sure they understand that if they are taking something. They need to run it by the training staff. This wasn't done.
May 24, 200917 yr I hate the NCAA... The more I think about the situation the mader I get... It's dumb, a 5th grader could buy this stuff.
May 24, 200917 yr Translation is if Coach Brooks did not inform the team of the NCAA banned substance then Brooks is to blame. If Brooks DID inform him then Jarmon is to blame. Apparently the kids are supposed to talk to the strength and conditioning - nutrition people before they take any sort of supplements. I agree with everyone that has said that the NCAA needs to make things more clear - ban everything expect maybe protein and creatine. Energy drinks, etc.. all of those need to be banned by the professional sports teams and in NCAA, NAIA, JUCO. This young man stood up to the plate, admitted his mistake and is very heart broken. I hate this for him, the team and his family. At least he already has a degree and who knows what the future holds for him. Good luck and God Bless!
May 24, 200917 yr Translation is if Coach Brooks did not inform the team of the NCAA banned substance then Brooks is to blame. If Brooks DID inform him then Jarmon is to blame. The kids are constantly told what substances to stay away from by the university, trainers and coaches. However, new supplements come out all the time and unless the kids look at every ingredient, they can't be sure what they are actually taking. All UK student athletes are told not to take ANYTHING without consulting the training staff first. He also stated that more often than not, when the athletes have to ask, they are told no as so many of these legal over the counter supplements contain NCAA banned substances. Jarmon made a mistake, stood up like a man and took the blame and seems to want others to learn from his mistake.
May 24, 200917 yr Is there a list of NCAA banned substances? Does anyone know the ingredient that created this disaster?
May 24, 200917 yr I hate this for Jarmon but seems like most on here are blaming the NCAA when this falls solely on Jeremy's shoulders. Unless this decision is not consistent with past rulings then the NCAA is not at fault. Jarmon had to know better then to take so much as an asprin without asking the coaching staff first. I would guess that if he was taking a diet pill then it probalby contained a stimulant that was banned.
May 24, 200917 yr Is there a list of NCAA banned substances? Does anyone know the ingredient that created this disaster? Yes, there is a list out there.
May 24, 200917 yr Is there a list of NCAA banned substances? Does anyone know the ingredient that created this disaster? Don't know what the ingredient is, but for all we know, it could have been something like ephedra...or even caffeine. The 2008-2009 list of banned substances is here: http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:ih81peMSdv0J:downloads.salem.edu/athletics/banned%2520drugs%25202008-09.pdf+list+of+ncaa+banned+substances&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us And yes, caffeine is on the list.
May 24, 200917 yr Don't know what the ingredient is, but for all we know, it could have been something like ephedra...or even caffeine. The 2008-2009 list of banned substances is here: http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:ih81peMSdv0J:downloads.salem.edu/athletics/banned%2520drugs%25202008-09.pdf+list+of+ncaa+banned+substances&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us And yes, caffeine is on the list. Then I am in violation and would fail the drug test for a banned substance. Apparently, it has to be a high volume of caffeine, but I am not sure how much is in some of the energy drinks.
May 25, 200917 yr I hate this for Jarmon but seems like most on here are blaming the NCAA when this falls solely on Jeremy's shoulders. Unless this decision is not consistent with past rulings then the NCAA is not at fault. Jarmon had to know better then to take so much as an asprin without asking the coaching staff first. I would guess that if he was taking a diet pill then it probalby contained a stimulant that was banned. I agree that Jarmon is at fault, but what I do not agree with is the NCAA's ruling. UK self reported this violation, the NCAA came to test the individuals, (Jarmon wasn't the only one who had been taking the supplement) and he promptly failed the drug test that UK KNEW he would fail. They came back a month or so later, tested Jarmon again, and he passed with flying colors. Im just not sure how this ruling is really looking out for the student athlete. The NCAA could have made a better decision. 5 or 6 games would have been plenty.
May 25, 200917 yr I agree that Jarmon is at fault, but what I do not agree with is the NCAA's ruling. UK self reported this violation, the NCAA came to test the individuals, (Jarmon wasn't the only one who had been taking the supplement) and he promptly failed the drug test that UK KNEW he would fail. They came back a month or so later, tested Jarmon again, and he passed with flying colors. Im just not sure how this ruling is really looking out for the student athlete. The NCAA could have made a better decision. 5 or 6 games would have been plenty. Rules are rules. The rules state that if you fail a drug test then you must sit out one full year from the date of the test.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.