Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jarmon tests positive for a banned substance...

Featured Replies

Tell me something...How can taking a protein shake and some vitamins for a 15 day period in the off-season warrant a year long suspension from college athletics and ultimately end a collegiate career early? How is that warranted? I mean, some athletes get tested positive for smoking weed, an illegal drug to use in the United States, and they get like 1 game or 2 games suspension. Is the NCAA more powerful then the government?

  • Replies 67
  • Views 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That stinks.

Surprised they had a presser for it, but I assume it was to get JJ in a positive light if possible and gt info out there and get him ready for supplemental draft.

Talk about luck of the draw.

Buy an OTC diet supplement and a protein shake. Takes it for three weeks, tells trainer...trainer advises him to stop...a few days later randomly chosen for substance test.

Tell me something...How can taking a protein shake and some vitamins for a 15 day period in the off-season warrant a year long suspension from college athletics and ultimately end a collegiate career early? How is that warranted? I mean, some athletes get tested positive for smoking weed, an illegal drug to use in the United States, and they get like 1 game or 2 games suspension. Is the NCAA more powerful then the government?

 

You could tell how bad Barnhart felt for him. Barnhart said he didn't want to say it was unfair as the NCAA has been very consistent on these rulings. I think it's a shame for the kid. But the NCAA if pretty darned powerful within their realm.

A school had people admitting to professors writing papers for athletes a few years ago, nothing happens. Street fights go on, bad drug deals go on, domestic violence goes on. Few reprimands. All of these involve athletes every year and little happens.

Jarmon has a shake or two and gets a year. Something seems twisted. Oh, well, way things are I guess. Best of luck to him in all endeavors. Always has been a class act and represented the school and state well.

1) bad decision if he knew the rules

 

2) terrible rules by the NCAA if it was stuff from GNC - protein shakes or whatever

I'm guessing since they held a press conference the appeals process is completely over?

 

From my understanding UK went through all the appeals... BTW, I hate the NCAA....

The more I think about it, the more I can't understand why he'd get a year suspension....

He knew what he was doing, buy the ticket, take the ride. He let his team down.

Man I hate to hear this, he is a good guy and a great player. Just made a bad decision...

Apparently, it wasn't steriods, but a dietary supplement recommended by a guy at a health food store. He also purchased a shake not given by the university. All of this to lose weight.

 

Sounds like it was a dietary pill?

 

And possibly a protein drink?

 

Is that what I'm hearing?

 

Maybe I'm remarkably naive, but dietary pills and protein shakes are illegal??

 

 

See this is what kills me. The papers and press will just say the player used a "banned substance" and it paints them in a horrible picture when half the time these "banned substances" are things you can get at GNC or CVS. I think the NCAA and all of pro sports needs to change their rules on alot of what they ban; it's garbage.

 

Hell Mark McGuires record is tainted because of CREATINE!!! That's just dumb. I'm sorry but this just irritates me. Supplement are not game changers, they aren't steroids and really don't do jack if you aren't putting in the effort in the gym or in your lifestyle all they do is help enhance the effort of someone and not in a derogatory or dangerous way(or illegal) like roids do . Hints the reason they're called SUPPLEMENTS!!!!

 

Oh and this is aimed at NO ONE, I'm just venting bc I think this is horrible.

I appluade him for standing up for what he did. He is a senior and should have know the substance was banned.

 

I blame the coaching staff if he didn't know because it is their job to inform the players of banned substances.

 

So if they did their job and he knew what he was doing was wrong, then I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for his team. He let them down. He will be fine. He will go on and have a career in the NFL.

The sad thing is, he probably wasn't taking anything that I would consider "performance enhancing". It wasn't HGH or steroids. It was a dietary pill. I've taken those. I understand that they are against the rules, but I do not understand a year long suspension for 1 mistake.

 

It's sad and I wish nothing but the best for him. Maybe all others in college sports can learn from this though. Don't take something if you don't know that it's allowed.

 

That's the thing though, some of these guys just have it in them to work HARD, to bust there tails, and in the process they meet someone in the gym or health store that tells this about this stuff they've been taking, and they know it's legal, so it can't be against the rules to take.... I'm sorry but the NCAA and Pro Sports needs get their act together. This is silly and this young man should not be punished for trying to better himself in a VERY legal, and completely ACCEPTABLE manner. Honestly I'm dusgusted right now.:ohbrother:

I appluade him for standing up for what he did. He is a senior and should have know the substance was banned.

 

I blame the coaching staff if he didn't know because it is their job to inform the players of banned substances.

 

So if they did their job and he knew what he was doing was wrong, then I don't feel sorry for him. I feel sorry for his team. He let them down. He will be fine. He will go on and have a career in the NFL.

 

But how can you blame them when they think they have a player they "don't have to worry about" because he truly is a good kid. No way he uses roids or anything like that, instead he's busted for some minute infraction, it's just dumb. Sorry this is a subject that really bothers me.

But how can you blame them when they think they have a player they "don't have to worry about" because he truly is a good kid. No way he uses roids or anything like that, instead he's busted for some minute infraction, it's just dumb. Sorry this is a subject that really bothers me.

 

 

I said blame them if they didn't inform him and the rest of the team. If they did their job it falls on his shoulders. So if that is the case I don't feel bad for him. Just his team.

I said blame them if they didn't inform him and the rest of the team. If they did their job it falls on his shoulders. So if that is the case I don't feel bad for him. Just his team.

 

No you said

 

"I blame the coaching staff if he didn't know because it is their job to inform the players of banned substances"

 

Lost in translation?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.