Newport Central Catholic 2 Newport 1

INCORRECT!!! you may want to reference the following in the NFHS rulebook… Rule 6.4.2.1 …. “If the pitcher, with a runner on base, stops or hesitates in his delivery because the batter steps out of the box with one foot, two feet, or holds up his hands to request “TIME”, it shall not be a balk.

Thanks, BD. You saved me from having to type that in.

This was called a balk incorrectly in the Ludlow/Dixie game. Same exact scenario.

If the pitcher starts his delivery to the plate he must finish. If he stops on his own it's a balk.

Read the rule book. The batter, by his actions, cannot cause a balk. This is a text book example of a do-over...yes, a do-over. It is nothing. If deemed an intentional action to try and get the pitcher to stop his motion to the plate, it can be an ejectible offense. I'll get the rule number when I get a second to look it up.

Read the rule book. The batter, by his actions, cannot cause a balk. This is a text book example of a do-over...yes, a do-over. It is nothing. If deemed an intentional action to try and get the pitcher to stop his motion to the plate, it can be an ejectible offense. I'll get the rule number when I get a second to look it up.

I understand and agree and certainly challenging a rule. The hitter simply put up his right hand requested time and the pitcher stopped his delivery this is a judgement call and it's my opinion that the umpire should have called a balk. The hitter stayed in the box and made no unsportsmanlike moves.

You're not reading the rule, you're trying top put your own interpretation to it. The Actual Rule states plainly that it includes "raising his hand" and makes no mention whatsoever as to judgement calls. The action the batter performed cannot be grounds for causing a balk. If he raised his hand, the umpire has no alternative but to assume this action caused the pitcher to stop and thus, no balk.

I understand and agree and certainly challenging a rule. The hitter simply put up his right hand requested time and the pitcher stopped his delivery this is a judgement call and it's my opinion that the umpire should have called a balk. The hitter stayed in the box and made no unsportsmanlike moves.

Your argument is the rule should be changed.

It was called correctly by the actual currently written rule.