Favorite Type of Chinese Food

MJAlltheWay24

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is crab rangoon?

Kind of like a wonton, but basically just crabmeat and cream cheese (usually some kind of sweetener in it too) wrapped and fried in a wonton wrapper.

You have to watch though, because a lot of places use fake crabmeat, don't put any sweetener in it, or they bypass the crab altogether and just put cream cheese in it.

Here is a picture, but they also come in triangle shapes too.

CrabRangoon.jpg

I also like the noodles. Shrimp lo-mein I guess is my favorite. One of the best places to get this, believe it or not, is at Great Wall on the Paris bypass. I've stopped there many times on the way to Lexington or Frankfort if the timing is right.

My wife prefers the thinner, lighter-colored noodles, as well as vegetable spring rolls.

Edited by mcpapa

I like a lot of Chinese food. But does anyone have some suggestions for choices that aren't going to be filled with calories, like all the fried stuff?

I'm also not very good at figuring out what all the Chinese dish names mean.

The key is getting the grilled chicken. Most places have a chicken and broccoli or chicken and vegetables. Brown rice is the way to go if offered. If not just white rice steamed, w/ nothing added. I get black bean chicken from most places if the chicken in it is grilled. Not as low calorie as chicken and broccoli w/ no sauce but not bad for you and very tasty.

The key is getting the grilled chicken. Most places have a chicken and broccoli or chicken and vegetables. Brown rice is the way to go if offered. If not just white rice steamed, w/ nothing added. I get black bean chicken from most places if the chicken in it is grilled. Not as low calorie as chicken and broccoli w/ no sauce but not bad for you and very tasty.
Thanks so much SSC; that helps a lot! :thumb:

Thanks so much SSC; that helps a lot! :thumb:

No problem. The Black Bean Chicken from Oriental Wok is very good. It's not my favorite dish, but it's my go to when I feel like I don't need a meal high in calories. I always just ask for grilled chicken when I order even if I get a meal that usually doesn't come w/ grilled chicken. The brown rice there is also good and better for you than white rice.