Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Barnhart drops the ball again........

Featured Replies

They were that dumb 2 years ago!

 

That's kinda my point...they should have learned from their mistakes. Guess not.

  • Replies 39
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found it kind of funny that Barnhart used the Brook's analogy as an example of sticking by a coach. I guess this was the only one that he could have seeing how although he did hire he lost Cohen (baseball) and DeMoss (Womens b.b.) and imo Mr. Brainfart had a huge part in running Tubby Smith out of town. All three were excellent coaches and class acts.

 

I'll give him Brooks, he is right. (Barnhart + 1)

Cohen, DeMoss, Smith and now Gillispie (although I have top agree with his dismisal) ...(departures - 4)

 

do the math :D.

They were that dumb 2 years ago!
No, they were in too big of a hurry 2 years ago. I'm for Mitch taking his time, this time around.

Why in the world would someone think that UK already has to have the new coach in place?

 

When was the last time a high-profile program did that, other than promoting an assistant that was already on the staff? It's certainly never been done after firing a coach at the end of the season.

 

This is the way the process works. There are very few coaches that want to have real discussions with a school that still has a coach in its employ. Once the job is open, it's fair game for discussion.

 

Whether or not you agree with the decision, this is the way you do it ... wait for the season to end, then make the change and get started on finding a successor.

^For his job's sake, he better.

 

:thumb:This one hire imo just may mean the future of U.K. basketball considering losing OTS after his winning record at U.K. and dismissing BCG (although warranted imo) after just 2 years.

Considering how reporters were chasing Gillespie down the halls of the UK basketball offices, I'd say Barnhart dropped the ball on security.

Why in the world would someone think that UK already has to have the new coach in place?

 

When was the last time a high-profile program did that, other than promoting an assistant that was already on the staff? It's certainly never been done after firing a coach at the end of the season.

 

This is the way the process works. There are very few coaches that want to have real discussions with a school that still has a coach in its employ. Once the job is open, it's fair game for discussion.

 

Whether or not you agree with the decision, this is the way you do it ... wait for the season to end, then make the change and get started on finding a successor.

 

Now that I think about, I do agree with you. However, I do think coaches are contacted and some serious talks are done before the current coach is fired, epically when the A.D. and President are the ones doing the talking. Is this far off base, I really do not know.

I found it kind of funny that Barnhart used the Brook's analogy as an example of sticking by a coach. I guess this was the only one that he could have seeing how although he did hire he lost Cohen (baseball) and DeMoss (Womens b.b.) and imo Mr. Brainfart had a huge part in running Tubby Smith out of town. All three were excellent coaches and class acts.

 

I'll give him Brooks, he is right. (Barnhart + 1)

Cohen, DeMoss, Smith and now Gillispie (although I have top agree with his dismisal) ...(departures - 4)

 

do the math :D.

 

I have a great deal of respect for you. But I disagree with you on Mitch. At least on everything except Gillispie.

 

I think where Mitch missed the boat on this one (in hindsight), was on the initial hire. I admit that it seemed like a great hire at the time. My dad, didn't like the hire at that time. He said something about the guy just didn't feel right. This is the same man that in year 3 of Brooks said 'I think this is the right guy. I think he will get it done the right way.' As I get older I guess my dad really is getting smarter!

 

I really don't think that Mitch has misfired at all, until this hire.

 

Cohen left for his alma mater. He had already turned down bigger offers than UK before he left and left the program in MUCH better shape than he found it.

Demoss was a GREAT hire, but I think she realized why she had remained an assistant coach for 18 years, ... she didn't feel comfortable in the drivers seat. After she left UK, she went back to being an assistant coach when you KNOW with what she did at UK she had tons of teams who would LOVED to have had her. She left the program in better shape than she found it.

Soccer - the UK soccer team is competitive now. They were HORRIBLE just a few seasons ago.

Softball - UK softball has a winning record right now? I would never have believed it.

Brooks - well, that one seems to have no detractors now, ... but just a few years ago, many were screaming for Brooks and Barnhart's heads on the same silver platter. Brooks believed he was the right guy and stuck by him. Glad he made that call.

 

However, I think this is his one misfire. And it happened when he hired Billy Clyde in the first place.

If you look at Mr. Barnhart's body of work, he has done a great job getting good coaches in and building the athletic program. So, I am not buying this propaganda. :p

Except for men's basketball, you can make a case that just about every athletic program at Kentucky is in better shape now than it was when Barnhart took the job ... that's a pretty impressive feat, even if most of those programs had a lot of room for improvement.

 

Brooks has turned out to be a good hire, as I thought he would, but let's face it ... Brooks was far down the initial wish list and took it when Kentucky had just about exhausted its list of candidates.

 

Did Barnhart bungle the Gillispie hire? I would say so, given the results and Gillispie's complete lack of preparedness for the off-the-court demands of the job. It seems to me that a thorough vetting of Gillispie would have prompted some concerns. Instead, they jumped on the hot coach of the moment to save face.

 

He can't afford another one like that.

I feel that they have someone in their back pocket and I also feel that they have a backup plan in place with Ford.

I have a great deal of respect for you. But I disagree with you on Mitch. At least on everything except Gillispie.

 

I think where Mitch missed the boat on this one (in hindsight), was on the initial hire. I admit that it seemed like a great hire at the time. My dad, didn't like the hire at that time. He said something about the guy just didn't feel right. This is the same man that in year 3 of Brooks said 'I think this is the right guy. I think he will get it done the right way.' As I get older I guess my dad really is getting smarter!

 

I really don't think that Mitch has misfired at all, until this hire.

 

Cohen left for his alma mater. He had already turned down bigger offers than UK before he left and left the program in MUCH better shape than he found it.

Demoss was a GREAT hire, but I think she realized why she had remained an assistant coach for 18 years, ... she didn't feel comfortable in the drivers seat. After she left UK, she went back to being an assistant coach when you KNOW with what she did at UK she had tons of teams who would LOVED to have had her. She left the program in better shape than she found it.

Brooks - well, that one seems to have no detractors now, ... but just a few years ago, many were screaming for Brooks and Barnhart's heads on the same silver platter. Brooks believed he was the right guy and stuck by him. Glad he made that call.

 

However, I think this is his one misfire. And it happened when he hired Billy Clyde in the first place.

:thumb: That is fine and your opinion is one that I have alot of respect for as well. I don't have a problem with you disagreeing with me at all. I guess that I feel that maybe he should have done more to keep Cohen and DeMoss, maybe he did all that he could, just seemed to me that he didn't. As for Brooks, I was one of the ones calling for his exit and fully admit I was wrong, MB was right to stick with him.

As for the other sports you mentioned I also say that they are important as well but I just don't follow them to know that much about them.

Should I be wrong about MB then I am wrong and was jmo, it certainly wouldn't be the first time I was wrong and I am one that will admit it.:thumb:

Considering how reporters were chasing Gillespie down the halls of the UK basketball offices, I'd say Barnhart dropped the ball on security.

 

He wasn't employed anymore you don't have to have security or non employed people.:clap:

Considering how reporters were chasing Gillespie down the halls of the UK basketball offices, I'd say Barnhart dropped the ball on security.

 

I bet MB is thinking,:madman:

He doesn't work here anymore. He can buy his won security with the 6 mill. we are about to pay him.

 

 

 

 

:lol:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.