March 27, 200917 yr I will seriously have to re-evaluate my fandom is they hire that clown. Things would go from bad to worse both on and off the court.
March 27, 200917 yr ?? What makes you believe this? Two years ago some reasons he stayed in Florida was said to be his family (parents and or inlaws) was there, his wife and kids wanted to stay in Florida, he donated a huge amount of money to his kids school. Well actually he signed a contract that allows him to go to another school without buying out his contract as long as it's between March 1st and April 1st.:ylsuper:
March 27, 200917 yr Does anyone want to take a guess who the "prominent KY high school coach", with player(S) UK is recruiting, who was wanting to talk strategy with Billy G and he supposedly walked away from the HS coach? (It was in the paper this morning). Half the state can't stand that coach anyway, not my opinion, just facts, so how come if Billy G gets hassled if he does the same thing that many in the state would do as well? Again, not my opinion, but this coach isn't looked at well in many eyes. Is there a prize involved? :idunno: I'll guess Hicks from SC. :clap:
March 27, 200917 yr I like Travis Ford, I really do. His coaching style is a mirror image of the Pitino style. BUT, he isn't proven. UK needs a man who is not a question mark. I'm not happy about this if it comes true... What do UK fans consider proven? Was Billy G proven? Best year a sweet 16. Is Mark Few proven best year a elite 8 I think? What exactly is proven in UK fans books? Because I keep hearing with Ford that we shoudln't get him because he isn't proven, and have to get someone who is. So what is proven? I mean from the sounds of it, its like it has to be a coach who has won a title like a Billy D, Roy Williams, Coach K, Izzo, Calapari etc. However those guys are already at programs that they have established, and could win titles with and with less pressure. So quite honestly a proven coach like that, really wouldn't have much reason to come here, and that is why we struggle getting a coach. I mean whats wrong with getting a guy that establishes his name while here? I mean I could be wrong about this but was Donovan, Izzo, Coach K, Roy Williams or anyone like that proven before they became big names? We all agree that they are great coaches and they built their names at those places, and they didn't have to be proven to do that. I mean Kansas took a shot at Roy Williams and he did amazing while there for them. Yeah UNC was able to get him, but honestly that was the only school he would have left Kansas for just because that is where he from basically. So I just don't get this whole talk about it has to be someone that is proven, and so it can't be Ford. These great coaches that we would want were all unproven at one time, and these schools gave them a chance and now they one of the best. I mean yeah if we could get one of those guys, then great. However not much reason for any of them to leave to come here. So I just don't get this whole proven thing, why should we wait to want a coach till he has built another program into a title contending school?
March 27, 200917 yr What do UK fans consider proven? Was Billy G proven? Best year a sweet 16. Is Mark Few proven best year a elite 8 I think? What exactly is proven in UK fans books? Because I keep hearing with Ford that we shoudln't get him because he isn't proven, and have to get someone who is. So what is proven? I mean from the sounds of it, its like it has to be a coach who has won a title like a Billy D, Roy Williams, Coach K, Izzo, Calapari etc. However those guys are already at programs that they have established, and could win titles with and with less pressure. So quite honestly a proven coach like that, really wouldn't have much reason to come here, and that is why we struggle getting a coach. I mean whats wrong with getting a guy that establishes his name while here? I mean I could be wrong about this but was Donovan, Izzo, Coach K, Roy Williams or anyone like that proven before they became big names? We all agree that they are great coaches and they built their names at those places, and they didn't have to be proven to do that. I mean Kansas took a shot at Roy Williams and he did amazing while there for them. Yeah UNC was able to get him, but honestly that was the only school he would have left Kansas for just because that is where he from basically. So I just don't get this whole talk about it has to be someone that is proven, and so it can't be Ford. These great coaches that we would want were all unproven at one time, and these schools gave them a chance and now they one of the best. I mean yeah if we could get one of those guys, then great. However not much reason for any of them to leave to come here. So I just don't get this whole proven thing, why should we wait to want a coach till he has built another program into a title contending school? Pardon my ignorance but what was Ricky P's resume when he arrived on campus?
March 27, 200917 yr Pardon my ignorance but what was Ricky P's resume when he arrived on campus?He had taken Providence to the Final Four (in his second year) and had two good seasons with the Knicks.
March 27, 200917 yr Billy Gillispie was not a proven coach, and that obviously didn't work out because he is getting fired after 2 years...
March 27, 200917 yr Billy Gillispie was not a proven coach, and that obviously didn't work out because he is getting fired after 2 years... There is more to it than wins and losses with him though. Thing is though if he was winning though, it would have been overlooked and we wouldn't be talking about him leaving. I was on the fence about him, but I do think he deserves one more year. My point is people keep talking about Ford not being proven. Well what do people consider proven. Honestly by most UK fans standards there really wouldn't be to many actually proven coaches, and the ones who are really wouldn't have much reason to want to come here.
March 27, 200917 yr If it's Travis, I would feel better than keeping BCG for another year. I'd rather have Donovon. Cats Pause reported this morning that it was Billy D.
March 27, 200917 yr This point may have already been made but if Ford is hired I see it as a lateral move. To make a coaching change, to go through the whole process and disturbance to the program I think you should move upward. To clarify Donovan, Coach Cal, Izzo, that is a move up. Ford seems to be the same type of hire as BCG, not an elite coach. Just my two cents.
March 27, 200917 yr There is more to it than wins and losses with him though. Thing is though if he was winning though, it would have been overlooked and we wouldn't be talking about him leaving. I was on the fence about him, but I do think he deserves one more year. My point is people keep talking about Ford not being proven. Well what do people consider proven. Honestly by most UK fans standards there really wouldn't be to many actually proven coaches, and the ones who are really wouldn't have much reason to want to come here. Donovan-proven. Calipari-proven. Jay Wright-proven. Travis Ford played at UK. We need a coach that can get big time recruits and win now.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.