Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should Automatic Bids be playing the "Play-in" Game?

Featured Replies

That is not really a bad idea.

 

If they did that, everyone would be accepting the invitation and they would be playing to win. It would make for a much more entertaining touranment, IMO.

 

They could possibly take the final four of the NIT and give them a 12 or 13 seed. Kind of make the NIT a "play-in" tournament. That way, all the bubble teams would have their shot at getting in and there wouldn't be so many judgement calls.

  • Replies 35
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you change the "play-in" game to include at-large teams, you are penalizing the overall #1 seed by giving them a much tougher first-round opponent than the other #1 seeds are facing.

 

The "play-in" game is a gimmick, but probably one that is here to stay.

 

You could do it without playing in to the #16 seed. In this case, you could have Arizona and whoever playing to see who the #12 seed is playing Utah.

Don't really agree with the play in game but in this case it gives Head a chance to win a game. Otherwise facing Louisville in the first game probably would not be pretty.

Theoretically the automatic bid teams have already "played their way in" by winning their conference tournaments.

 

I too would like to see the play in game be between the last two at larges in for a 12 seed.

Don't really agree with the play in game but in this case it gives Head a chance to win a game. Otherwise facing Louisville in the first game probably would not be pretty.
I was thinking the same thing. At least the Eagles have a legitimate shot at winning an NCAA tournament game. Even if it is the play in game, it's still something to hang your hat on. I'd rather see MSU compete and win than just show up and get pounded by a #1. What fun is there in that?

This is Moreheads only shot at winning a tournament game. I'm glad they got it. Too many of you guys are focusing on the negitive, even the coach said he hopes for the play in game.

Automatic bids shouldn't have the play in game. I am in favor of having 4 play in games, 1 in each region, with bubble teams involved.

 

I like this idea.. All these teams winners should be an automatic 16 seed. The only thing bad about this is it puts a better team than usual playing a #1 , so its kinda like punishing a #1 seed. My suggestion would be putting these winners as a 15 seed, because usual a weaker team such as an OVC winner is weaker than for instance a Penn State or an Arizona(this year).

You could do it without playing in to the #16 seed. In this case, you could have Arizona and whoever playing to see who the #12 seed is playing Utah.
I wouldn't have a problem with that concept. I think you could even do one in each region.

I love the fact that everyone in the country is going to be watching Morehead St. play a tournament game. I think this is a great thing for the school.

  • Author

I agree the publicity for the game is great exposure and could be a great recruiting tool for Coach Tyndall and his staff. Could possibly see several recruits due to this one game, if they win.

The automatic bids only get you a chance to compete and to get your name in the hopper. From there, the committee's job is to put together the best tournament they can.

 

So, to answer your question, yes.

 

 

:thumb:

I agree the publicity for the game is great exposure and could be a great recruiting tool for Coach Tyndall and his staff. Could possibly see several recruits due to this one game, if they win.
I doubt it. Just the fact that they're in the NCAA tournament elevates their profile a bit. Now, a close game with Louisville would help immensely, much more so than a win over Alabama State would.
  • Author

I am actually shocked at the responses. No one thinks it is a big deal that automatic bids are penalized and have to play in? I am not saying Morehead or Alabama State will win against Louisville nor should they be a 10 seed, but to not make the play in game be between two at-large berths is wrong, imo.

Someone did bring up a good point earlier in the thread when they asked why the 65th team to begin with? If the play-in game is necessary, make it at-large teams, if not, don't have 65 teams.

I personally think they should play the NIT and allow the winner to have a spot in the NCAA tourney. That would give the NIT a good purpose and make for some very interesting games.

 

An excellent idea! One week tourney for the chance at Cinderella!

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.