Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LSU 67 Kentucky 58

Featured Replies

No it does matter, because that is the key sign of an excellent coach. Making who you have better. That is what a coach is suppost to due teach the game to his players. That is why Bobby Night's recruiting classes was never that high, because he taught his players how to play the game and he won with those players. You can have all the talent you want that makes the coaches job easily for sure, but sometimes you got to work with what you got.

 

And what he got is what he was dealt. He didn't recruit the Junior or Senior Class. And tell me again when Bob Knight of significance as a Coach in the big Dance.

20 years ago you could win by "coaching them up". The game has changed. I don't care who you are, if you don't have players, you aren't going to compete.

  • Replies 253
  • Views 25.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree, he deserves at least another year, but I just wouldn't look for anything to get any better next year.

 

Why??

 

Orton, Patterson, Meeks, Miller, GJ, Hood, Stevenson, Liggins, Harris.

 

UK should go 12-4 in the SEC at least next year.

I don't want instant anything. I want a team that looks prepared and gives maximum effort with the talent it has on the team. This team fails to do that and that falls on the coach. He gets paid to get the most out of what he has. Is he doing that?

 

Donnie Tyndall took over the worst program in America 3 seasons ago. He took a team with little talent and was competitive in year 1. He took a team with young talent and finished in the top 4 in the OVC in year 2. He took a team with good talent and won the OVC for the first time in the 25 years in year 3. That is what a good coach does.

 

Fine then, let's see what happens in G's year 3 before we make any rash judgements. Also, what was your opinion of Coach at the end of last year after the 12-4 conference season and the play of the team after Patterson went down?

I don't know if Gillespie deserves another, but I think he'll get another, because the alternative may be more detrimental to the program..

People love to point out what happened last year and say, "But look what he did with Crawford and Bradley!!!" Crawford and Bradley started being dominant when BCG had a meeting with them and told them they were in control and he let them do whatever they wanted...

 

AKA, "I don't know what I'm doing, just go out there and do whatever you want."

 

Problem with this year's team is they had zero leadership.

Why??

 

Orton, Patterson, Meeks, Miller, GJ, Hood, Stevenson, Liggins, Harris.

 

UK should go 12-4 in the SEC at least next year.

 

Why would they? They still don't have a shooter, they still won't have a PG, they still won't have a leader.

You must not talk to a lot of people.

 

I talk to several people, and, like everyone on here says, Billy G is an awful in-game coach. He's a recruiter, I'll give him that. But look at his decisions in games.

 

I understand where you're coming from, but we're talking about Campbellsville, EKU, and UMass.... Not UK. Go after a Wright, a Dixon, a Donavon, and if you're really desperate Calipari. He may end up being a trainwreck, but he'd make the fanbase happy quickly...

 

Yeah, but let's take a look at these coaching stints.

 

First year at Campbellsville 16-17

Final year at Campbellsville (3rd season) 23-11

 

First year at EKU 7-19

Final year at EKU 22-9

 

First year at UMass 12-15

Final year at UMass (3rd season) 25-11

 

He has taken schools with poor records and turned them into winners. Period. And of the people you listed, do you really think Wright, Donavon, Dixon or Calipari would come to UK? I think not.

So I guess you think Gilliespie would have done a better job at Arkansas this season?

 

 

Yeah I do!!

I talk to several people, and, like everyone on here says, Billy G is an awful in-game coach. He's a recruiter, I'll give him that. But look at his decisions in games.

 

 

 

Yeah, but let's take a look at these coaching stints.

 

First year at Campbellsville 16-17

Final year at Campbellsville (3rd season) 23-11

 

First year at EKU 7-19

Final year at EKU 22-9

 

First year at UMass 12-15

Final year at UMass (3rd season) 25-11

 

He has taken schools with poor records and turned them into winners. Period. And of the people you listed, do you really think Wright, Donavon, Dixon or Calipari would come to UK? I think not.

 

 

No, but I'd rather stick with the Gillispie than turn it over to a guy that isn't going to be any better.

I talk to several people, and, like everyone on here says, Billy G is an awful in-game coach. He's a recruiter, I'll give him that. But look at his decisions in games.

 

 

 

Yeah, but let's take a look at these coaching stints.

 

First year at Campbellsville 16-17

Final year at Campbellsville (3rd season) 23-11

 

First year at EKU 7-19

Final year at EKU 22-9

 

First year at UMass 12-15

Final year at UMass (3rd season) 25-11

 

He has taken schools with poor records and turned them into winners. Period. And of the people you listed, do you really think Wright, Donavon, Dixon or Calipari would come to UK? I think not.

 

You know whats funny. That is the EXACT same thing BCG did before he got to Kentucky. He took a bunch of HORRIBLE basketball players and turned them into NCAA tourny contenders.

It doesn't matter. The fact is, Pelphrey's resume isn't anywhere close to what Gillispie's was coming into the UK job. Why would they go after an unproven coach that will not perform any better than the one they already have?

 

How do you know Pelphrey would not preform any better than Gillispie?

 

I would take my chances...But it's not up to me...You happy now?:lol:

And what he got is what he was dealt. He didn't recruit the Junior or Senior Class. And tell me again when Bob Knight of significance as a Coach in the big Dance.

20 years ago you could win by "coaching them up". The game has changed. I don't care who you are, if you don't have players, you aren't going to compete.

 

I can agree the talent level is might low especially for a school like UK, but at some point you have to teach who you have. Then why didn't Billy work and play Liggins more, it was his recruit???

Fine then, let's see what happens in G's year 3 before we make any rash judgements. Also, what was your opinion of Coach at the end of last year after the 12-4 conference season and the play of the team after Patterson went down?

 

I was pretty high on him, but in hindsight, I now see that we were very fortunate to have strong senior guards controlling the team.

 

The thing that probably sours me the most on Gillispie is his attitude and the way he represents the University of Kentucky. Disrespecting everyone you come into contact with is just too much for me to handle.

You know whats funny. That is the EXACT same thing BCG did before he got to Kentucky. He took a bunch of HORRIBLE basketball players and turned them into NCAA tourny contenders.

 

Exactly. Why make that change if you aren't improving on what you already have?

I agree, he deserves at least another year, but I just wouldn't look for anything to get any better next year.

 

:thumb: BCG does have some "supposedly" very good recruits coming in. We will just have wait and see on that.

 

(also, remember he has signed some excellent 6th grade prospects :D)

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.