Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who has the best chance at becoming UK's next basketball coach?

Who will be UK's next basketball coach? 134 members have voted

  1. 1. Who will be UK's next basketball coach?

    • Travis Ford
      35%
    • John Pelphrey
      19%
    • Darrin Horn
      14%
    • Anthony Grant
      2%
    • Billy Donovan
      10%
    • Pat Riley
      1%
    • Rick Pitino
      2%
    • Sean Miller
      4%
    • Other: Please list
      9%

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

People the only way Billy is leaving is if he quits. And I doubt he is going to quit. And Barnhart is not going to fire him, heck if he stayed with Coach Brooks throught those tough seasons he sure as heck is going to stay with Billy. But majority of the state wanted to get rid of Tubby and thought that Billy was the savior and now Tubby is heading to the Big Dance and we are NIT Bound!! I'm not saying I dislike Billy, I still say we need a PG (and Porter is not the answer) and I understand those that practice harder play, but Porter is not the answer. But give Billy time let's not run this coach off people.

  • Replies 113
  • Views 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe the next Coach will be a UK guy, but I did vote my personal choice, A. Grant.

I don't think anyone doubts his ability to recruit, but so far his coaching sure has many many people scratching their heads.

 

I've scratched out a bald spot this season.

I've scratched out a bald spot this season.

 

The stretch of basketball with Slone Porter Galloway Miller and Harelson made me wonder if he went out drinking before the game instead of after

After reading alot of threads on here I would think there are a number of qualified coaches right here.

I really can't see him being gone after this season.

 

I don't think so either, imo there is no way BCG is out unless HE wants to be and I don't think he will leave now.

 

Another friend of mine that has connections with one of the Law firms in Lexington that do alot of work for U.K. was told that BCG was safe for this season, but next season had better be good,really good. Also, was told to him that BCG had wanted to sign his contract and his lawers told him not to :idunno:. He has already (so they say) been talked to, repremanded and a couple of the reported and rumored outside, off the court "issues" dealt with and warnings issued.

Again, no link and nothing certain, this is all talk and may be nothing to it and we had heard some of it before was just throwing that out there.

One thing for certain is that things could get very intersting and message boards all over will be very busy with nothing but rumors for the most part, lol.:sssh:

After reading alot of threads on here I would think there are a number of qualified coaches right here.

 

:laugh::laugh::laugh::thumb:

People the only way Billy is leaving is if he quits. And I doubt he is going to quit. And Barnhart is not going to fire him, heck if he stayed with Coach Brooks throught those tough seasons he sure as heck is going to stay with Billy. But majority of the state wanted to get rid of Tubby and thought that Billy was the savior and now Tubby is heading to the Big Dance and we are NIT Bound!! I'm not saying I dislike Billy, I still say we need a PG (and Porter is not the answer) and I understand those that practice harder play, but Porter is not the answer. But give Billy time let's not run this coach off people.

 

Yes he stayed with Rich, but that was a totally different and far worse (and long term) situation. It's like comparing apples and oranges.

1. Brooks took over a program with recruiting limitations and scholly limits that put UK at the D1AA level.

2. The SEC is a BRUTAL football conference.

3. UK football has NEVER been a national football power for more than a season or two, and only once when they were not caught for cheating (Bryant did it but Curci got them put on probation the year they were 10-1.

 

1. BCG took over at UK with some talent, but not national power type talent

2. The SEC is WAY down from what it was 2 years ago when UF was winning back to back national titles and the conference was getting 40% of the conference in the tourney every year, now we are looking at possibly 4 teams

3. He brought in PP (well done), had Jasper (the PG we need) and Meeks not counting Crawford and Bradley last year.

4. He brought in his PG fix in Liggins, Harrellson, & Galloway but his recruits haven't fixed the situation

5. In basketball, you can rebuild a program MUCH faster due to the fewer number of players used and the major impact a big time player can have on a program and in a hurry (See Jamal Mashburn).

6. You put Jasper on this team with the emergence of Miller, and IMHO, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

 

I do agree that no way Barnhardt & Todd get rid of BCG unless there is something else going on we don't know about. I agree with giving him another year or possibly 2. It would be bad if BCG left right now and would really limit the field of possible candidates. But let's be honest, less of this is falling in Tubby's lap and more into BCG's. This team looked better at midseason then they do right now and with no injuries to speak of. I think he did a better job last year losing Meeks and Patterson and getting more from Stevenson and making a nice run at the end of the season to get into the dance.

 

The bottom line is that it has to get better next year, ... has to.

I agree. Billy Clyde, while I have been critical of him this season, needs to have 1-2 more seasons to prove himself. It would be a tough sell, especially to any top notch coaches if he was let go after 2 years. I don't see him being fired and think this thread is a little premature.

 

Most threads like this are a bit premature but here we are joining in and posting on them I am as guilty as any. :lol:

 

BCG threads have very quickly become :deadhorse:.

 

 

(Oh, I have to go now, espn is now talking about a cyst on A-Rod's butt :ohbrother:. No wonder we are all crazy!! :lol:)

Most threads like this are a bit premature but here we are joining in and posting on them I am as guilty as any. :lol:

 

BCG threads have very quickly become :deadhorse:.

 

 

(Oh, I have to go now, espn is now talking about a cyst on A-Rod's butt :ohbrother:. No wonder we are all crazy!! :lol:)

 

:thumb:

I don't think anyone doubts his ability to recruit, but so far his coaching sure has many many people scratching their heads.

 

:thumb: Bingo!

OLD....ARod's butt.....Bama Larry falling out of his chair. :clap: :laugh: :D :jump:

What are the odds UK follows the same path as UNC? After Dean Smith retired, they hired the old timer assistant Bill Guthridge and he did a great job before retiring himself after a couple years. Then they hire Matt Doherty who could recruit, but couldn't coach his way out of a mop bucket. Roy Williams was their first choice at this time, but wouldn't leave Kansas. After Doherty was canned, they went back to Williams, threw him an offer he couldn't refuse, and he accepted. So, what are the odds that the CATS go back to Donovan? Can he say no twice? Granted, Florida is having a down year this year, but they are also just 2 years removed from winning back to back national titles.

Horn is a great basketball coach, he would be my choice.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.