2009 Highlands

Ram

• Replies 432
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Birdflu

I thought Tony Guidugli did an excellent job this year. However, I felt from the very beginning that Will Bardo should have been the quarterback this year. I feel like the combination of his skills along with a long list of wide receivers (Collinsworth, Buten, Hogue, Gold etc.), could make for an extremely potent offense in 2009. Guidugli was tough and I think he could have made an excellent running back, end or linebacker. Having said this, I truly hope Tony has a great career at the next level as a quarterback. Maybe Highlands could have had two quarterbacks in the shotgun (at the same time) this year. With one being right handed and one being left handed, it might have worked.

Over 550 views on this thread. C'mon Birds fans and armchair QB's. What say you. Don't worry, there won't be any negative effects towards you or your son. Coaches don't read these things anyway right! Besides, we are goinig to need something to talk about on Banquet Day(s). :lol:

Maybe this thread should have been started after the Banquet. I got a nasty pm from some baseball dude today about Birds fans talking football in the winter. Something about winning state in baseball. I do like his positive attitude though. Ok on to the Baseball thread. Go Birds!!!

Over 550 views on this thread. C'mon Birds fans and armchair QB's. What say you. Don't worry, there won't be any negative effects towards you or your son. Coaches don't read these things anyway right! Besides, we are goinig to need something to talk about on Banquet Day(s). :lol:

Maybe this thread should have been started after the Banquet. I got a nasty pm from some baseball dude today about Birds fans talking football in the winter. Something about winning state in baseball. I do like his positive attitude though. Ok on to the Baseball thread. Go Birds!!!

Funny me to......:lol::lol: It's baseball time.....GO BATBIRDS!!!!

Sorry THUNDERBIRDS but I disagree. The 1996 team wasn't UP as much as Justin Frisk was incredible. One of the greatest RB's ever. Watch that film and he is unstopable.

Also, I failed to remember that in 1998 Highlands defeated Male, who then went on to win (old) Class 4A. So, it seems that in both 1996 and 1998 Highlands played (and beat) members of the Louisville "Big Three." I guess I was thinking about those squads not playing any Cincy powers.

Likely future starting QB Will Bardo should be salivating right now... all three of the team's best receivers from last season are returning (WRs Austin Collinsworth and Nick Buten and TE Brandon Roller), and the offensive line will be experienced and talented in 2009. I remember hearing during the last offseason that Bardo was a better pure passer than Guidugli... if that's true then watch out in 2009!!!

If the team can avoid significant injuries, 2009 should be very bright for the 'Birds. Also, with their schedule next year (i.e. no Cincinnati powerhouses and no Louisville Trinity/Saint Xavier) the team stands a very good chance of going 10-0 during the regular season.

Do you know the full schedule for Highlands yet? If so what is it?

It's been said on the board that you have Manual on your schedule, as a Manual fan I'm interested in what where you guys see this matchup in regards to you schedule as a whole.

Do you know the full schedule for Highlands yet? If so what is it?

It's been said on the board that you have Manual on your schedule, as a Manual fan I'm interested in what where you guys see this matchup in regards to you schedule as a whole.

I know Highlands plays Manual first game of the season at Manual. Could be interesting.

2009 Highlands schedule:

August 21 Louisville DuPont Manual A 7:00

August 28 Ryle A 7:00

September 4 Beechwood A 7:00

September 11 Cincinnati Withrow A 7:30

September 18 Boone County H 7:00

September 25 Covington Holmes H 7:00

October 2 Dixie Heights H 7:00

October 9 Bye

October 17 Covington Catholic A 7:00

October 23 Scott H 7:00

October 30 Ryle H 7:00

November 6 1st round of playoffs

November 13 2nd round of playoffs

November 20 Regional final

November 27 State semifinal

December 4 State championship

Regarding the schedule I posted above, the Manual game looks to be one of the best games Highlands may play in the regular season... it should be interesting.

Also, Cincy Withrow is on the schedule. Withrow didn't do too well in 2008, but I hear some of their better skill players are returning for 2009, and I think this program often has a great deal of talent. As an FYI, Dale Mueller used to coach Withrow several years ago.

Wow, the H's right off the bat. Hmmm, must be slow.

Anyway, the one thing I would like to see happen is HHS get an actual QBs coach. Now I know this might burn some people the wrong way but IMO they need one. Or at least someone with some "heafty" experience at the position.

I for one got tired of seeing everyday in practice the same coach out at mid field simulate a snap back to his QB and then to watch some type of toss/catch or throw/go get or something go on. Half of the time it was a pass to a receiver that was going to get zero time in the game. This went on for at least 30 minutes every practice.

Don't get me wrong. Tony is a very good QB. He didn't get that good from the Highlands coach that tossed that ball back to him. He apparently had a Dad that knew what needed to be done and that was to go to college camp after camp over the summer to get proper instruction. With some extra expertise advise and instruction throughout the season, who knows how good Tony could have been. He was and is good but what if?

The '09 season might just see a QB as good as we have seen since Jared and Tony, especially with the receiving corps and players that will be around him on offense. We are going to see a lot of points put up this year and possibly some new records if everything works out like it should. Just would be nice if the future QB's would have some type of experienced coach to move them to the next level. No more chicken dance,rub the belly, pat the head signs. Please!

Other than the obvious #22, do you know of any other "qualified" QB coach that would like to spend his entire summer and fall at HHS and not get paid for his efforts? I am sure Dale would like to know of that person...:thumb:

Seriously, who was the last QB coach @ HHS before Valardo (sp)? I am thinking of Schrader...