Obama's faith in his own words

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens when YOU and the Catholic Church differ on what you believe Jesus meant when he spoke? By the way, I would venture to say, based on many of your other posts, that you are not specifically a 'red letter' Christian and that you put a lot of emphasis on what Paul and others had to say as well.

FWIW the protestant reformation was based more on what Paul had to say than on what Jesus had to say.

Was Jesus unclear about salvation and His role in salvation?

I won't speak for the Catholics, Lord knows there is enough talkative ones on here:D:cool::p:jump::bunny: but I don't think the Catholics and Protestants differ on Jesus.

It was all of the other stuff.

I believe we both feel Jesus is the Son of God, our Lord and Savior, and the Way the Truth and the Life. That ONLY through Him do you know the Father and have eternal life.

I put a lot of emphasis on what the Bible said. Just because I said HERE that it is important to know what Jesus said, do I mean that is the only important part of the Bible. I don't. And I think that is obvious from my other posts because I have mentioned that Romans 2, I think, gives an indication that those who have not REJECTED Jesus can still find their way into Heaven for eternity.

But when you are discussing WHO JESUS WAS? than it is vital to look at whom Jesus says he is.

My post was in response to LBBC who says it is important to know what Jesus said. I happen to think what Paul says is on occasion tainted by his humanity and is different from what Jesus says.

So, let me follow your thought process.

The HUMAN writer who recorded Jesus words would not be tainted by the human writer's humanity, but Paul would be tainted by his humanity?

Did/does Jesus have denominations in His Church?

This is going to open up a can of worms. You know that I believe that Jesus created one, holy, Catholic, apostolic church (the Catholic Church) and that the denominations were formed by man. So, in that sense, I guess your original premise was right- they were made to make man feel good (sort of- Martin Luther had some valid points about the wrongdoings of the Catholic Church, although I don't think breaking off from the Church was the best thing to do, of course.). However, I think you would say that the Catholic Church is another denomination created by man to make us feel good, and there we differ. Personally, I think that Jesus created the Catholic Church as a way to guide us on how to follow God's will best. So I guess that denomination exists for more than just our happiness.

This is going to open up a can of worms. You know that I believe that Jesus created one, holy, Catholic, apostolic church (the Catholic Church) and that the denominations were formed by man. So, in that sense, I guess your original premise was right- they were made to make man feel good (sort of- Martin Luther had some valid points about the wrongdoings of the Catholic Church, although I don't think breaking off from the Church was the best thing to do, of course.). However, I think you would say that the Catholic Church is another denomination created by man to make us feel good, and there we differ. Personally, I think that Jesus created the Catholic Church as a way to guide us on how to follow God's will best. So I guess that denomination exists for more than just our happiness.

If you think that you have to be a member of TODAY's Catholic Church to be a member of Jesus' church and that is the ONLY way to be a member of Jesus' church, than yes I disagree with you.

I believe there will end up being members of Christ's church out of almost every denomination and some that have never heard Jesus' name but have accepted his teachings by nature as described in Romans 2.