Track The Reds (Week 15)

One could argue that Dunn would not see as many good pitches based on who was hitting around him. You could also counter that by wondering why you'd pitch around a guy that strikes out 180 times per year...

Let me ask you or Strike3, I heard a report that said the new hitting instructor has been working with Dunn.

It seems that with the ballpark, Dunn has been told to pull the ball all the time and hit it out. That has led him to hit as he does.

Would it have made a difference in Dunn's stats if he was not told to do this when he first came up?

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your question but at the end of the season, NOT in a single situation, Dunn and Perez were producing similar numbers all the while Dunn was in a much inferior lineup.

Morgan to answer your question.:p

The lineup equation has it's pluses and minuses as has been pointed out. The numbers also show that Perez was much more efficient at driving in runs.

Let me ask you or Strike3, I heard a report that said the new hitting instructor has been working with Dunn.

It seems that with the ballpark, Dunn has been told to pull the ball all the time and hit it out. That has led him to hit as he does.

Would it have made a difference in Dunn's stats if he was not told to do this when he first came up?

As much power as Dunn has it doesn't need to pull the ball to hit it out.

I think so. Imagine being told you can only drive to the basket with your right hand. Or you can only stiff arm with your right hand. It would definitely hurt your game and change your mindset.

Trying to pull an outside pitch will result in the shattered maple bats Dunn is tired of. I could never understand why someone would tell any hitter, regardless of level, to try to pull everytime.

In their prime, guys like Bonds and Griffey would hit them out to any part of any park on the planet. If they 'missed' a pitch, it'd be a gapper. When Dunn misses a pitch, it's a weak grounder or lazy pop up. Currently, all but 3 of Dunn's HRs have been right of center field.

For a comparison, Ryan Howard is 50/50 if you put a line down the middle of the field...

As someone else already said, when I said cancer, I meant that the Reds will never win with him.

Is that really a cancer then?

The Royals were never going to win w/ Carlos Beltran. How have they done since they ridded themselves of him? The Pirates are never going to win w/ Bay or anyone else on their whole team for that matter. Should they quit playing baseball? Just b/c it looks like the Reds aren't going to win w/ Dunn doesn't make him a cancer. Some teams just aren't going to make the post season it doesn't mean the players aren't good on those teams.

For a comparison, Ryan Howard is 50/50 if you put a line down the middle of the field...

Plus he's hitting .220 w/ a million strike outs yet Philly will keep him.

I'm not saying Dunn is as good as Howard. I will say that if he hit 3rd or 4th in a lineup that included Rollins, Victorino, Utley, and Burrell he would knock in more than 100 runs. It might not be 140, but it would be at least 120.

Plus he's hitting .220 w/ a million strike outs yet Philly will keep him.

I'm not saying Dunn is as good as Howard. I will say that if he hit 3rd or 4th in a lineup that included Rollins, Victorino, Utley, and Burrell he would knock in more than 100 runs. It might not be 140, but it would be at least 120.

Not exactly true. In 2005 the Reds scored 820 runs, the most in the National League and Dunn only drove in 101 Runs with his 40 Homeruns. It isn't a given that his RBIs will jump signifigantly with a more potent lineup--there is nothing in his history to suggest it.

Not exactly true. In 2005 the Reds scored 820 runs, the most in the National League and Dunn only drove in 101 Runs with his 40 Homeruns. It isn't a given that his RBIs will jump signifigantly with a more potent lineup--there is nothing in his history to suggest it.

What position did he hit in the lineup? It will never happen, but I'd bet a ton of money that if he hit 3rd behind Rollins and Victorino, and in front of Utley and Burrell he would knock in 120.

What position did he hit in the lineup? It will never happen, but I'd bet a ton of money that if he hit 3rd behind Rollins and Victorino, and in front of Utley and Burrell he would knock in 120.

It isn't going to matter where either one of them hit as long as their splits stay like this:

Ryan Howard is hitting .333 with runners in scoring position and .287 with men on base. Adam Dunn is hitting .222 with runners in scoring position and .216 with men on base. For their careers Howard is at .280 with runners in scoring position and .286 with runners on base. Dunn is again at .222 with runners in scoring position and .242 with runners on base. That is the difference.

Dunn is a horrible hitter with runners in scoring position, has been his entire career.

How many times do we see Dunn get the runner to 3rd with less than 2 outs, it's those little things that drive me insane that he flat out can't do.

That would be considered a cancer to the team.

Here's another good statistical comparison, they a relatively similar number of at bats at the cleanup position for their careers:

Plate Appearances

Howard 1378

Dunn 1160

At Bats

Howard 1127

Dunn 970

Runs

Howard 204

Dunn 168

Hits

Howard 204

Dunn 168

Homeruns

Howard 96

Dunn 64

RBIs

Howard 283

Dunn 153

It isn't going to matter where either one of them hit as long as their splits stay like this:

Ryan Howard is hitting .333 with runners in scoring position and .287 with men on base. Adam Dunn is hitting .222 with runners in scoring position and .216 with men on base. For their careers Howard is at .280 with runners in scoring position and .286 with runners on base. Dunn is again at .222 with runners in scoring position and .242 with runners on base. That is the difference.

I think part of it is b/c you have to pitch to Howard. Why walk a guy that strikes out a lot when you have Utley behind him? For most of Dunn's career he's had nobody in front of him on base that is a threat to steal and nobody behind him who can produce runs like Utley and Burrell. Thus obvioulsy Howard gets more fastballs and more strikes. I think Howard is better, but he's been in a lot better of a position the last few years. What is Rollins' OBP compared to guys who lead off for the Reds? Dunn also has hit between 5-7 more than 3-4 in his career. Partly b/c of the stas you mentioned, but right now he should be hitting 3rd w/ Hairston and Keppinger in front of him.