Who is the Best H.S. Pitcher you've seen or better faced?

kyvince

I played in the early eighties, a time when the number of good/great pitchers might have hit it's peak. My Junior/senior season I played with or faced no less then 15 pitchers who went on to pitch in college. Eight of those pitched at least at Division II or above.

I faced some very good ones Rob Williams from Campbell Co, Pelfry from Scott, Atkins & Stamm from Newport, Rogg from Highlands, Kunkel from Lloyd, Tarvin from Bellevue, Erpenbeck from Covcath etc.

The one who I hated seeing the most, the one with the best rising fastball short of Kirsten Allen was Pumphrey from Lloyd.

I swear he threw, what they now call mid-90's, and when he was on, his ball had more movement then anyone else I have ever seen.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played against

Kenny Wilfong - NewCath 1975

Mike List - Holy Cross 1977

Mark Moeves - Holmes (played with him)

Seen Since

Joey List - Beechwood

Glazier - Highlands

Rob Harmon - CovCath

Curley - Beechwood

Moeves - Highlands (Son of Mark)

There was one I remember from just before my high school years by the name of Lenny Spicer from Walton. He pitched, played outfield and hit better than anyone I'd seen before or since quite frankly. Blew out his arm, I believe, in the Pirates organization maybe?

Just the ones that immediately come to mind

There was one I remember from just before my high school years by the name of Lenny Spicer from Walton. He pitched, played outfield and hit better than anyone I'd seen before or since quite frankly. Blew out his arm, I believe, in the Pirates organization maybe?

Just the ones that immediately come to mind

I think you are right about the Pirates. I don't remember him as a pitcher. I just remember him raking.

Dan Molique - Ludlow graduate 1984. Scholarship to Univ of TN

Really? I don't remember anyone from NKY ever getting a scholarship to Tennessee. The only schollies to SEC schools I recall are to UK.

Glaser, Fromeyer, List, kid from Boone that I believe went into the Pirates system, kid from Holmes, and Mitchell. Out of them all, I'd take Mitchell, when healthy. His knee injury really hampered his senior season.