Who is the Best H.S. Pitcher you've seen or better faced?

kyvince

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever face Johnny Mullins from Ashland. I here he beat Gullett twice when they were both seniors and was in the same stratosphere.

Johnny was very good. He was a fine baseball player and had the advantage of learning from the older players when he was an underclassman.

Another good pitcher during this era was Stultz from Greenup and I believe he pitched at Morehead. There were so many good baseball players during this era who went to schools other than Ashland. However, it was the Tomcats that had the deepest talent pool.

Back in the late '80's Lafayette had a kid named Jed Durough. Tough, tough, tough. Tates Creek had Kevin Jarvis, who pitched for the Reds, and he got no pub b.c of Durough at Lafayette. Don Chandler threw this kid's arm way too much. We faced Jarvis, Lorne Frazier (Rowan Co, UK), PRP, and Harrison twice and no one, NO ONE, threw like Durough. High 80's-low 90's, great slider, and the scouts at the game when we asked if he could throw like this for seven said, "He can throw like this for 20 innings boys." Think he couldn't pass a class though, or at least some of his old teammates told me that in college. GREAT high school pitcher though. I know Lafayette won a state riding his arm, maybe two. Anyone else remember any of these kids?

Absolutely agree, Dorough was as good as I've faced or seen. Not sure whatever happened to him. We went 27-4 my senior year and one of the losses was to Lafayette and Jed. He struck out 15 of us that day. Jarvis was tough as well. I tell you another great high school talent was John Pelphrey when he pitched for Paintsville, great pitcher.

Found this online about Lafayette and Jed Dorough. When you see who he outpitched you should know this kid was MLB quality. See if you can figure out why we have pitching limits now, and why he didn't last. This was his Jr. year and he did the same thing his Sr. year. Think he PITCHED EVERY GAME FOR LAFAYETTE but the district finals. Don Chandler had his stud and rode him.

"Lafayette beats St. Xavier 5-2 in the state baseball semifinals. Junior lefthander Jed Dorough is the winning pitcher. He has 12 strikeouts and scatters six hits in improving his record to 11-0. St. X senior ace Paul Byrd gives up five hits and strikes out 11 in taking the loss. Lafayette beats Boyd County 12-1 in the finals. Dorough, who went seven innings only 15 hours earlier, starts and goes five innings before leaving with the Generals leading 9-0. Shawn Wiglesworth smacks a grand slam, Kevin Goins has a two-run homer and Todd Baxter has a solo shot to fuel the championship game rout."

Jed was without a doubt the most dominant pitcher I've ever seen on the high school level. Just thought I'd share. Jed and Lafayette won the state in '89 too. Thanks for the info on Snopek. Best all-around player I ever played against or with. Mike Harris, Tates Creek/UK, was a better hitter. Took our pitcher's glove off his hand with a line drive. CRAZY!!

I played 1st base in high school and Mike Harris literally put fear in me when he was batting. He hit a ball out to right field my sophomore year in 86 that may have just landed, he was tough!

• 2 weeks later...
Glaser, Fromeyer, List, kid from Boone that I believe went into the Pirates system, kid from Holmes, and Mitchell. Out of them all, I'd take Mitchell, when healthy. His knee injury really hampered his senior season.

On a side note, Mitchell played against us up at NewCath his senior year. One of our rightfielders was brought into pitch, I think that we were getting killed. Anyway, Mitchell hit the furthest home run that I ever saw at NewCath, and w/ such a short fence you saw a bunch that looked like they would go on for miles. His went out over the right-center power alley. Crushed it.

Jason Chandler, Breathitt Co. graduated in '89. Played at Morehead and then went on to AA with the Reds. He could bring it.

Shawn Little, Lee Co. graduated in '89. They said he shutout Harrison County 2-0 in '88. Hurt his arm in a game his sr. season. Played at Morehead before transferring to Cumberland because he wanted to hit. Was NAIA all-american his senior year. He threw so hard when he was 12 that they would not allow him to play Little League, moved him up to Babe Ruth.

• 2 weeks later...
Found this online about Lafayette and Jed Dorough. When you see who he outpitched you should know this kid was MLB quality. See if you can figure out why we have pitching limits now, and why he didn't last. This was his Jr. year and he did the same thing his Sr. year. Think he PITCHED EVERY GAME FOR LAFAYETTE but the district finals. Don Chandler had his stud and rode him.

"Lafayette beats St. Xavier 5-2 in the state baseball semifinals. Junior lefthander Jed Dorough is the winning pitcher. He has 12 strikeouts and scatters six hits in improving his record to 11-0. St. X senior ace Paul Byrd gives up five hits and strikes out 11 in taking the loss. Lafayette beats Boyd County 12-1 in the finals. Dorough, who went seven innings only 15 hours earlier, starts and goes five innings before leaving with the Generals leading 9-0. Shawn Wiglesworth smacks a grand slam, Kevin Goins has a two-run homer and Todd Baxter has a solo shot to fuel the championship game rout."

Jed was without a doubt the most dominant pitcher I've ever seen on the high school level. Just thought I'd share. Jed and Lafayette won the state in '89 too. Thanks for the info on Snopek. Best all-around player I ever played against or with. Mike Harris, Tates Creek/UK, was a better hitter. Took our pitcher's glove off his hand with a line drive. CRAZY!!

The game between St X and Lafayette in 88 was a great game to watch. Dorough and Byrd were tough. Unfortunately, I also got to witness the championship game the next day on the field, since I played for BC. Dorough was def not the same pitcher as the day before, but he still had a heck of a curveball. Even still, I got 2 hits off him that game. From what I hear, his arm was never the same after that, and thats a shame.