Who is the Best H.S. Pitcher you've seen or better faced?

kyvince

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, awesome old thread resurrected! As far as I know, there were 3 guy I played against that made the show.

Justin Marks - Owensboro Catholic

Nate Jones - Pendleton County

Chaz Roe - Lafayette

Marks was really good and had an awesome career at Louisville, but wasn't as intimidating as the other two. Jones was really wild but was tall, had long arms, and threw hard. Roe was by far the best. Definitely the hardest thrower I ever saw between the lines, and worst of all, his slider just wasn't fair.

I graduated in 1981, and the toughest pitchers I remember facing was Steve Engle of Reading HS who later got drafted by the Cubs, and Scott Arnold from Lexington Ky who played briefly with St. Louis Cardinals. 9th Region was loaded with some tough pitchers during this time, Greg Stansberry Dixie, Doug Losey NewCath, Kevin Martin WV, Doug Peddicord Scott, Ron Peters, (campbell county), our team at Lloyd had Pumphrey (79-80), Ray Brake (79-80), Kevin Hutchinson(81), Roger Schreck(82), Steve Molitor (83) and Greg Kunkel(84) all pitched on 81 team.

I graduated in 1981, and the toughest pitchers I remember facing was Steve Engle of Reading HS who later got drafted by the Cubs, and Scott Arnold from Lexington Ky who played briefly with St. Louis Cardinals. 9th Region was loaded with some tough pitchers during this time, Greg Stansberry Dixie, Doug Losey NewCath, Kevin Martin WV, Doug Peddicord Scott, Ron Peters, (campbell county), our team at Lloyd had Pumphrey (79-80), Ray Brake (79-80), Kevin Hutchinson(81), Roger Schreck(82), Steve Molitor (83) and Greg Kunkel(84) all pitched on 81 team.

One of the best 9th Region Final (i think it was region final, not district) was 1976 or 77 Boone County vs Lloyd. I think it was 1976. Dan Hoard (BC) beat Mark Molitor Lloyd 1-0. If I am not mistaken, Hoard threw a 1 hitter and Molitor a 2-hitter..