Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is the best coach in Men's NCAA Basketball?

Featured Replies

First 14 Seasons:

Mike Krzyzewski:

304 Wins

21.71 per season

1 Conference Regular Season Championship

1 Conference Tourney Championship

The above isn't the FULL truth:

 

From 1980 - 1993.......

 

6 final fours (5 in a row, from 88-92)

2 runner's up

2 championships

 

let's make sure we post EVERYTHING

  • Replies 132
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The above isn't the FULL truth:

 

Since 1980 - 1994.......

 

5 final fours (in a row)

3 runner's up

2 championships

 

let's make sure we post EVERYTHING

 

EVERYTHING?! Ok...

Let's ask this question...of all of the coaches out there today, how many have done the following:

 

10 final fours

4 runner's up

3 national championships

 

...and a potential gold medal (though that may be a stretch)

1. Coach K

2. Roy Williams

3. Ben Howland

4. Billy Donovan

5. Tom Izzo

6. Mark Few

7. John Calapari

8. Rick Pitino

9. Thad Motta

10. Rick Barnes

These lists change every year. I would look for Crean, Pearl, Miller, and hopefully Gillespie by challenging soon:thumb:

I think recruiting is a part of coaching in the NCAA. I think Roy Williams is right there. Bo Ryan is a good one too... His team is always there and no one ever seems to remember them. Izzo is very good as well...
I think Bo Ryan may be the best coach, as far as X's and O's go.
The above isn't the FULL truth:

 

From 1980 - 1993.......

 

6 final fours (5 in a row, from 88-92)

2 runner's up

2 championships

 

let's make sure we post EVERYTHING

 

 

That isn't the FULL truth RockPride. Actually, you're just taking his accomplishments at Duke and not Army. Tubby, Roy, and Billy's stats are the FIRST 14 YEARS OF THEIR CAREER, not their current job. Mike Krzyzewski made 3 Final Fours in the time, one championship appearance, and no championships.

 

You need to reseach a little before you correct anyone on their post.

Hard to argue with Howland taking UCLA to three straight Final Four's.

 

That's what everybody keeps saying, but Billy D won the last two and he's not even mentioned. To quote Nic Cage, "I'm confusssssed."

1. Coach K

2. Roy Williams

3. Ben Howland

4. Billy Donovan

5. Tom Izzo

6. Mark Few

7. John Calapari

8. Rick Pitino

9. Thad Motta

10. Rick Barnes

These lists change every year. I would look for Crean, Pearl, Miller, and hopefully Gillespie by challenging soon:thumb:

 

Jim Calhoun at UConn has 2 Titles. I think he is top 10 and maybe top 5.

That's what everybody keeps saying, but Billy D won the last two and he's not even mentioned. To quote Nic Cage, "I'm confusssssed."

 

And then they missed the tournament this year. Howland has set himself up for a lot of success at UCLA. It's hard to get behind Billy D when he misses the NCAA this year.

And then they missed the tournament this year. Howland has set himself up for a lot of success at UCLA. It's hard to get behind Billy D when he misses the NCAA this year.

 

He lost everything almost. He was not suppose to be good this year. He was a bubble team, so I think he just fell a little short. I would not be shocked if UF is in serious contention for the SEC crown next year.

 

On a side note. Roy Williams lost a lot (top 7 scorers, I think)after his National Championship and he did a great job the next year.

He had talented kids at his disposal in a weaker than usual SEC. For a guy to be mentioned among the best, I believe he needs to be able to exceed low expectations like he had this year. I think you are being easier on Billy D than he deserves.

My, how things change ... a year ago, Donovan was the greatest thing since sliced bread on this board.

I'm not saying that Billy D isn't in the discussion, but I think he should have to make some noise again without the OhFours. I know that he deserves the credit of recruiting them and training them, but I would bet he would be the first to say that he didn't expect them to form the core of back-to-back champions.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.