Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is the best coach in Men's NCAA Basketball?

Featured Replies

There are a lot of great coaches in college hoops and it's really hard to just pick one, or a top 5. The guys at the big schools, like Duke and UNC (Williams and K) are great coaches and being at elite schools their numbers are astounding. However, there are other great coaches as "lesser" traditional schools. Like Boeheim at Syracuse...great coach, IMO, but Syracuse isn't on the level of Duke and UNC so he can't consistently produce like those guys do. Is he any worse than them because of that? I don't know.

 

There are some guys right now that are just getting their chance at a bigger school who could end up being in the discussion. They've had success at smaller schools, but until you get to the highest level, you're not going to get the credit. What about a guy like Mark Few at Gonzaga? I think he's a great coach. He's taken Gonzaga and put them in the national picture...he's likely never going to win a title or post the numbers a guy like Roy Williams will at UNC, but he's still a good coach.

 

I agree with everythign you said except for this argument. Jim Boeheim is a great coach, but he had a very talented roster this year and they did not do that well. As far as traditions go, he has built a tradition at Syracuse. Coach K has built a tradition at Duke, although they had been good at times in the past. If Calipari stays at Memphis 8 or 10 more years they will have a great tradition.

 

I would not say Boeheim is at an unfair disadvantage.

  • Replies 132
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree with everythign you said except for this argument. Jim Boeheim is a great coach, but he had a very talented roster this year and they did not do that well. As far as traditions go, he has built a tradition at Syracuse. Coach K has built a tradition at Duke, although they had been good at times in the past. If Calipari stays at Memphis 8 or 10 more years they will have a great tradition.

 

I would not say Boeheim is at an unfair disadvantage.

 

I'm not claiming an unfair disadvantage. I'm saying guys that coach at places like UK, UNC, Duke, IU, UCLA and Kansas have a built-in advantage over everyone else...that doesn't mean they're guaranteed to succeed, but if they can get the job done, these schools make it even easier for them to succeed.

 

Boeheim has built Syracuse into a very good team over the years and he's validated that with some great success and a national title. However, it's not as easy to sustain that level at Syracuse...he just can't roll in top 5 classes on a consistent basis like Roy Williams can at UNC or like Coach K at Duke. It's not an unfair disadvantage...it just is what it is.

 

Look at Gary Williams at Maryland...he had the Terps up there with Duke and UNC for a brief time, but he can't keep them there. I think that has to be factored in to some degree when judging these coaches.

I agree with everythign you said except for this argument. Jim Boeheim is a great coach, but he had a very talented roster this year and they did not do that well. As far as traditions go, he has built a tradition at Syracuse. Coach K has built a tradition at Duke, although they had been good at times in the past. If Calipari stays at Memphis 8 or 10 more years they will have a great tradition.

 

I would not say Boeheim is at an unfair disadvantage.

 

They lost one of their best players you know.

I'd have to say Billy Donovan. He's been to three final games this decade alone and won 2 national championships. Who has a better resume than that? Maybe Roy Williams if he wins it this year.

Lute Olson

I think it is a 3 horse race...

 

Roy Williams, Mike Krzyzewski, and Ben Howland

 

Depends on what you mean by best coach.

 

Mark Few has been accomplished great things over the past 5 years with a whole lot less talent than these 3.

I would put Pitino #2 or #3, Pitino is a ridiculously GREAT coach!

 

I CAN'T STAND PITINO, and I agree that he is one of the best.

Roy Williams, Ben Howland, Pitino, Coach K, and Billy D

 

My top 5 in no particular order.

Lute Olson

 

Do you really believe that or are you speaking tongue in cheek? :confused:

I can't believe no one mentioned Tubby Smith.....

1. Billy Donovan

2. Rick Pitino

3. Roy Williams

4. Tubby Smith

5. Coach K

1. Billy Donovan

2. Rick Pitino

3. Roy Williams

4. Tubby Smith

5. Coach K

 

It's about time somebody mentioned him. His resume is terribly close to the rest of those guys......

1. Billy Donovan

2. Rick Pitino

3. Roy Williams

4. Tubby Smith

5. Coach K

 

It's about time somebody mentioned him. His resume is terribly close to the rest of those guys......

 

Hey I am a Tubby fan and these guys on here will attest, but his resume is not terribly close to 3 of the names on the list.

 

As I have pointed out numerous times winning National champions or competing for national championships in multiple years happens very seldom. I believe it has only been done 6-7 times.

 

Coach K won back-to-back titles as well as Billy D. I THINK only 4 coaches can make that claim. They are two along with Wooden and Jucker.

 

Rupp won 2 in 3 years, I believe to put him in that level.

 

Those runs only happen very rarely and Pitino, Billy D and Coach K were in those runs.

 

That separates them out from Tubby and Roy Williams.

Hey I am a Tubby fan and these guys on here will attest, but his resume is not terribly close to 3 of the names on the list.

 

As I have pointed out numerous times winning National champions or competing for national championships in multiple years happens very seldom. I believe it has only been done 6-7 times.

 

Coach K won back-to-back titles as well as Billy D. I THINK only 4 coaches can make that claim. They are two along with Wooden and Jucker.

 

Rupp won 2 in 3 years, I believe to put him in that level.

 

Those runs only happen very rarely and Pitino, Billy D and Coach K were in those runs.

 

That separates them out from Tubby and Roy Williams.

 

So much of what we think of the coaches depend upon the players they happen to coach..........but I guess in college basketball that recruiting is a part of the coaching resume. I can't think of any other coaches off the top of my head in the last 20 years or so who have had runs like the three you mention...........Williams is on the cusp of having success at that level, but still needs to get over the hump with another championship or two.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.