April 3, 200818 yr Do you really believe that or are you speaking tongue in cheek? :confused: He's got more wins and a better winning % than Donovan, Pitino and Smith. Roy Williams has a better win %, but he's also a couple hundred wins short of Olson. Coach K is probably the best, but I couldn't bring myself to say that.
April 3, 200818 yr Roy Williams is no where near the top of the list in my opinion. He always has the most talent, and can't ever get it done. (If we can use the he won with Pitino players argument against Tubby, we can do it against Roy as well). My choice would be John Thompson III. I love the way his teams play.
April 3, 200818 yr Roy Williams is no where near the top of the list in my opinion. He always has the most talent, and can't ever get it done. (If we can use the he won with Pitino players argument against Tubby, we can do it against Roy as well). My choice would be John Thompson III. I love the way his teams play. His team also always underacheives. This year many thought they were one of the best teams in the country and time after time they underacheived, most notably in the NCAA Tournament. They had a GREAT big man in Hibbert this year, and JT3 never gave him the ball. He had like 15 touches a game, and for a man that size and that can score in the low post as well as he could, they sure did love to shoot the 3 rather than take the easy 2 in the post. Tubby wins with Pitino's players, Roy wins with talent, JT3 does not win championships yet.
April 3, 200818 yr His team also always underacheives. This year many thought they were one of the best teams in the country and time after time they underacheived, most notably in the NCAA Tournament. They had a GREAT big man in Hibbert this year, and JT3 never gave him the ball. He had like 15 touches a game, and for a man that size and that can score in the low post as well as he could, they sure did love to shoot the 3 rather than take the easy 2 in the post. Tubby wins with Pitino's players, Roy wins with talent, JT3 does not win championships yet. Roy and Tubby both have 1 title, and both were won with the previous coaches' recruits....Roy always has the best team. He did almost every year at Kansas, and they always choked. He may change that this year, but until they cut down the nets, which I don't see happening, he is a huge choke artist.
April 3, 200818 yr Roy Williams is no where near the top of the list in my opinion. He always has the most talent, and can't ever get it done. (If we can use the he won with Pitino players argument against Tubby, we can do it against Roy as well). My choice would be John Thompson III. I love the way his teams play. JT III is a good one, but your knock on Roy is way off. Those players was not winning before Roy got there, so I think that championship just shows how great of a coach he is.
April 3, 200818 yr Hey I am a Tubby fan and these guys on here will attest, but his resume is not terribly close to 3 of the names on the list. As I have pointed out numerous times winning National champions or competing for national championships in multiple years happens very seldom. I believe it has only been done 6-7 times. Coach K won back-to-back titles as well as Billy D. I THINK only 4 coaches can make that claim. They are two along with Wooden and Jucker. Rupp won 2 in 3 years, I believe to put him in that level. Those runs only happen very rarely and Pitino, Billy D and Coach K were in those runs. That separates them out from Tubby and Roy Williams. Actually Rupp won 3 in 4 years.
April 3, 200818 yr JT III is a good one, but your knock on Roy is way off. Those players was not winning before Roy got there, so I think that championship just shows how great of a coach he is. The year before he took over May, Felton, and McCants were freshman. You can't tell me they wouldn't have improved from that time to their junior year when they won it all. They were not Roy's recruits and they were the reason UNC won the title. Back in his KU days, how do you not win the title with some of the talent he had? Jacque Vaughn, Paul Pierce, Raef Lafranz, Scott Pollard, and I believe Kenny Gregory all on the same team, and you don't make the Elite Eight? (Virginia behind Junior Burroughs beat them in the Sweet Sixteen if memory serves correctly).
April 3, 200818 yr Actually Rupp won 3 in 4 years. But, who's counting, right? I did say I believed it was 2 of 3. And I have a good reason to not be spot on today. http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=149570:irked:
April 3, 200818 yr The year before he took over May, Felton, and McCants were freshman. You can't tell me they wouldn't have improved from that time to their junior year when they won it all. They were not Roy's recruits and they were the reason UNC won the title. Back in his KU days, how do you not win the title with some of the talent he had? Jacque Vaughn, Paul Pierce, Raef Lafranz, Scott Pollard, and I believe Kenny Gregory all on the same team, and you don't make the Elite Eight? (Virginia behind Junior Burroughs beat them in the Sweet Sixteen if memory serves correctly). So you think UNC would have won that title even if Roy was not the coach?
April 3, 200818 yr I did say I believed it was 2 of 3. And I have a good reason to not be spot on today. http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?t=149570:irked: :lol::scared:
April 3, 200818 yr So you think UNC would have won that title even if Roy was not the coach? I don't know if they would have or not. Just like I don't know if UK would have won it in 98 if Tubby were not the coach. If I were a betting man, I'd say yes they would have because they had 3 of the best 10 players in college basketball that year.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.