Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is the best coach in Men's NCAA Basketball?

Featured Replies

I don't know if they would have or not. Just like I don't know if UK would have won it in 98 if Tubby were not the coach. If I were a betting man, I'd say yes they would have because they had 3 of the best 10 players in college basketball that year.

 

:laugh: If you say so man... :lol:

  • Replies 132
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:laugh: If you say so man... :lol:

 

I'm curious to know why you don't think they would have? I mean, since Roy's track record at Kansas clearly showed he could win with talent...:rolleyes:

I'm curious to know why you don't think they would have? I mean, since Roy's track record at Kansas clearly showed he could win with talent...:rolleyes:

 

Well lets see, the 2 previous years before Williams showed up, UNC did not make the tournament. Players even said none of this would have been possible if Coach Williams had not showed up.

 

I am anti UK, but I always claimed Pitino was a great coach the whole time he was there. I don't let my hatred blind me... :p

I can't believe I forgot to mention Tom Izzo, he's one of my favorites...

 

As for the UNC team from a few years ago, anybody remember who got drafted first out of all those kids from that team? A freshman by the name of Marvin Williams, so there is one recruit of Roy's. I do think that team would have been a contender that year with or without Roy though, they were loaded, but he might have been what pushed them over the top.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Tom Izzo, he's one of my favorites...

 

As for the UNC team from a few years ago, anybody remember who got drafted first out of all those kids from that team? A freshman by the name of Marvin Williams, so there is one recruit of Roy's. I do think that team would have been a contender that year with or without Roy though, they were loaded, but he might have been what pushed them over the top.

 

I forgot about that one.

Others:

Jim Boeheim (SP?), Syracuse

Jamie Dixon, Pitt

Bo Ryan, Wisconsin

Billy D, Florida (Back to back titles and no love?)

Jim Calhoun, UConn (2 Titles and no love?)

Others:

Jim Boeheim (SP?), Syracuse

Jamie Dixon, Pitt

Bo Ryan, Wisconsin

Billy D, Florida (Back to back titles and no love?)

Jim Calhoun, UConn (2 Titles and no love?)

 

Another good one that I did not think about.

I like Izzo a bunch. I think Ben Howland has done a very good job. Those two and Pitno are in my top 5. This is such a hard question because I think everyone has the own opinion as to what a great coach is.

I like the idea that a coach who does not coach 5 Mcdonald All Americans year in year out should get serious consideration. Having said that I like Stallings at Vanderbilt and was hoping he would get serious consideration for the I.U. job.

Mark Few is another good suggestion.

I am big blue biased but do believe that we have 1 of the top 5!!!!

I like the idea that a coach who does not coach 5 Mcdonald All Americans year in year out should get serious consideration. Having said that I like Stallings at Vanderbilt and was hoping he would get serious consideration for the I.U. job.

Mark Few is another good suggestion.

I am big blue biased but do believe that we have 1 of the top 5!!!!

 

Recruiting is part of the equation... If they're getting those type of players consistently, they have a place somewhere on the list if they hang around the top 10 most of the time.. Leonard Hamilton, on the other hand, has no place.

Billy Donovan has to be in this discussion. He turned Marshall into a Southern Conference contender almost overnight and has won two National Championships at Florida. In only 14 seasons as a head coach he has 320 wins, that means he is averaging 22.8 wins per season. He has back-to-back SEC Tournament titles and is a 3 time SEC Regular Season Champion.

 

To put that in perspective Coach K had only 302 wins in his first 14 seasons (21.7 WPS '74-'89) as a head coach, only 1 ACC Regular Season Title, 2 ACC Tourney Titles, and no National Titles.

 

If Donovan is able to continue the success he has had at Florida he HAS to be considered one of the greatest Coaches in the game.

First 14 Seasons:

Tubby Smith:

343 wins

24.50 per season

7 Conference Regular Season Championships

5 Conference Tourney Championships

1 National Title

 

Billy Donovan:

320 wins

22.80 per season

3 Conference Regular Season Championships

3 Conference Tourney Championships

2 National Titles

 

Mike Krzyzewski:

304 Wins

21.71 per season

1 Conference Regular Season Championship

1 Conference Tourney Championship

 

Roy Williams:

388 wins

27.71 per season

8 Conference Regular Season Championships

3 Conference Tourney Championships

  • Author

I think recruiting is a part of coaching in the NCAA. I think Roy Williams is right there. Bo Ryan is a good one too... His team is always there and no one ever seems to remember them. Izzo is very good as well...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.