Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is the best coach in Men's NCAA Basketball?

Featured Replies

Roy Williams, Ben Howland, Pitino, Coach K, and Billy D

 

My top 5 in no particular order.

I agree with those five.:thumb:

  • Replies 132
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 5 (active):

1. Coach K

2. Roy Williams

3. Rick Pitino

4. Jim Calhoun

5. Billy Donovan

5A. Jim Boeheim (Underrated...He's a HOFer!!!)

To me, coaches are like qbs...you can't be great until you win one...so Howland, Gillispie (Sorry BCG), Barnes will have to wait.

 

And for those asking...I am not an Izzo fan, although he would be 7th on my list..

In no certain order................

 

Rick Pitino

Coach K

Tom Izzo

Tubby Smith

Ben Howland

John Thompson III (I think it is III anyway the G-Town coach now)

Billy Donovan ( I do question some of his "bench-in game" decisions, he is a supreme motivator though)

 

 

 

 

"Run it Up Roy" Williams is probably the best recruiter in the country.

Its so hard to pick 5, because this is pretty much a flavor the week (or year) discussion.

Shoot, after watching his team play and listening to him on ESPN I think Davidson's coach sounds brilliant right now! There are so many great coaches out there.

If you want to look at people who do a great job turning programs around we may have the 2 best right here in Kentucky with Pitino and Gillispie. They have done this successfully multiple times now.

 

Good post and I agree with you on the Davidson coach as well.

In no certain order................

 

Rick Pitino

Coach K

Tom Izzo

Tubby Smith

Ben Howland

John Thompson III (I think it is III anyway the G-Town coach now)

Billy Donovan ( I do question some of his "bench-in game" decisions, he is a supreme motivator though)

 

 

 

 

"Run it Up Roy" Williams is probably the best recruiter in the country.[/QUOTE]

 

:laugh:

Bill Self is not the bes yet....he still has to do more, than one hot post season, IMO.

I agree.....and agree with the quoted post....I still believe that Billy D will have to sustain some quality years, POST Oh-Four to plant his name amongst the greats.

 

And Ben Howland doesn't??

Coach K and Rick Pitino are the first that come to mind. There are a bunch of great coaches. You could debate forever about who is the best.

Bill Self is not the bes yet....he still has to do more, than one hot post season, IMO.

 

I agree that Self has more to do. But I think he's had more than 1 hot post season. Self now has 4 Eilite eights and a championship game in the last 9 years.

 

Tulsa - (1) Elite 8

Illinois - (1) Elite 8

Kansas - (2) Elite 8 and (1) Final Four

 

He is also one of the best recruiters in the country.

What about John Calipari?

 

Coach Cal, Self...no titles...I can't put them over guys who have won...If cal wins tonight I would consider him to be on a level with Izzo and Boeheim....if Self wins tonight he certainly will be looked upon in a new light...but i need more on his resume' to put him in the conversation with some other guys...this is his first Final 4...he's been at Kansas for a few years...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.