April 4, 200818 yr My, how things change ... a year ago, Donovan was the greatest thing since sliced bread on this board. For real...he's one year removed from back-to-back titles and one of the most dominating runs in tournament history, and it's hard to get behind him because he missed the tournament (not by much) a year after losing the top 6 players on his roster. I'm not sure where he rates on my list. There are a few I'd pick ahead of him, but he's proven himself to be a pretty darn good coach. The logic, or lack of, used on this board is baffling at times.
April 4, 200818 yr For real...he's one year removed from back-to-back titles and one of the most dominating runs in tournament history, and it's hard to get behind him because he missed the tournament (not by much) a year after losing the top 6 players on his roster. I'm not sure where he rates on my list. There are a few I'd pick ahead of him, but he's proven himself to be a pretty darn good coach. The logic, or lack of, used on this board is baffling at times. He is in my top ten and maybe my top 5...
April 4, 200818 yr I'm not saying that Billy D isn't in the discussion, but I think he should have to make some noise again without the OhFours. I know that he deserves the credit of recruiting them and training them, but I would bet he would be the first to say that he didn't expect them to form the core of back-to-back champions. I can agree with that as well...which is why I'm not quite sure how high I rate him. You can't ignore the back-to-back titles, a runner-up, and the success he has had in turning a football school into a major factor in hoops... Of course, Howland is my pick, and Donovan's resume is far superior to his. Just something about the guy that really impresses me...I love the way he gets his teams to play that suffocating defense every year. And three consecutive final fours is nothing to scoff at. If not for that great group of Gators, there's a good chance Howland would have a ring already. It's just an opinion anyway...I have no problem with someone picking Donovan. He's certainly got the resume to justify it, IMO.
April 4, 200818 yr My, how things change ... a year ago, Donovan was the greatest thing since sliced bread on this board. That is why there is no stock in this at all.
April 4, 200818 yr Jim Calhoun at UConn has 2 Titles. I think he is top 10 and maybe top 5. No argument from me. I just ran this list off the top of my head. Forgot about Calhoun. Maybe a reason for that? I don't know.
April 4, 200818 yr Time capsule 1996:creepy: What other coach has taken 3 Different College teams to the final four? Pitino ranks third among active coaches with a .756 in NCAA tournament games. So how could you say that he isn't a top coach in the NCAA?
April 4, 200818 yr What other coach has taken 3 Different College teams to the final four? Pitino ranks third among active coaches with a .756 in NCAA tournament games. So how could you say that he isn't a top coach in the NCAA? He hasn't won a title in over a decade. Thats how I can say it. Notice nobody put Dean Smith, Wooden, or Rupp on these lists. Because the question is who IS the best coach. Not WAS.
April 4, 200818 yr And when was the last time Ben Howland or JTIII won a title?Neither one of those guys have been in position to win one for very long. You can make a pretty good case for Roy Williams right now, and he had a frustrating stretch to endure before he won his first national title. If Howland wins one this weekend, does that make him a better coach on Tuesday morning than he is right now? Or is it simply improving his resume?
April 4, 200818 yr And when was the last time Ben Howland or JTIII won a title? Who brought up JT? Talk to me late Mon night about Howland:D
April 4, 200818 yr Its so hard to pick 5, because this is pretty much a flavor the week (or year) discussion. Shoot, after watching his team play and listening to him on ESPN I think Davidson's coach sounds brilliant right now! There are so many great coaches out there. If you want to look at people who do a great job turning programs around we may have the 2 best right here in Kentucky with Pitino and Gillispie. They have done this successfully multiple times now.
April 4, 200818 yr I'm not saying that Billy D isn't in the discussion, but I think he should have to make some noise again without the OhFours. I know that he deserves the credit of recruiting them and training them, but I would bet he would be the first to say that he didn't expect them to form the core of back-to-back champions. Yeah before we consider him 1 of the best 4 or 5 coaches in college basketball he needs to go prove himself now. Making it to the NCAA finals in 2001 and winning back to back titles the last 2 years isn't enough. Besides, he didn't expect to win a title with those guys anyways.
April 4, 200818 yr My, how things change ... a year ago, Donovan was the greatest thing since sliced bread on this board. Some of us werent on the board at that time. Seems you have more of an interest in degrading opinions as opposed to stating some of your own.
April 4, 200818 yr Some of us werent on the board at that time. Seems you have more of an interest in degrading opinions as opposed to stating some of your own.Echoes ... I was just making an observation. A year ago at this time, there were a lot of people on this board that made Billy Donovan out to be the second coming. He's no better or worse a coach this year than he was last year, but because his talent and experience level was down, he's suddenly been downgraded by some.
April 4, 200818 yr Echoes ... I was just making an observation. A year ago at this time, there were a lot of people on this board that made Billy Donovan out to be the second coming. He's no better or worse a coach this year than he was last year, but because his talent and experience level was down, he's suddenly been downgraded by some. Echoes? Not really sure what you are talking about. Stop dancing around things. Donovan probably got a lot of play last year when he was being mentioned for the UK job. Sometimes a team can over come some coaching deficiencies. John Brady made a final four. I'm not putting Donovan in a class with Brady, he is much better than that. I just dont know if he is to be mentioned in the top 5 or so coaches in the nation.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.