Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Who is the best coach in Men's NCAA Basketball?

Featured Replies

That isn't the FULL truth RockPride. Actually, you're just taking his accomplishments at Duke and not Army. Tubby, Roy, and Billy's stats are the FIRST 14 YEARS OF THEIR CAREER, not their current job. Mike Krzyzewski made 3 Final Fours in the time, one championship appearance, and no championships.

 

You need to reseach a little before you correct anyone on their post.

 

And you are comparing Army to Kansas and Florida?

  • Replies 132
  • Views 11.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And you are comparing Army to Kansas and Florida?

 

I don't think that is what he is doing at all, just saying that you can't just not look at those years all together.

Some of us werent on the board at that time. Seems you have more of an interest in degrading opinions as opposed to stating some of your own.

 

Thats what he pays his membership fees to do.

I personally believe that, during his career, Pitino has changed the way that college basketball is played. So therefore, I would have to say that he is the best amoung active coaches. Followed closely by Coach K. I think there are several (like Howland, Billy D, and some of the others mentioned) who are moving in the direction of these 2, but none that have the same pedigree yet.

Thats what he pays his membership fees to do.

 

I agree.....and agree with the quoted post....I still believe that Billy D will have to sustain some quality years, POST Oh-Four to plant his name amongst the greats.

I personally believe that, during his career, Pitino has changed the way that college basketball is played. So therefore, I would have to say that he is the best amoung active coaches. Followed closely by Coach K. I think there are several (like Howland, Billy D, and some of the others mentioned) who are moving in the direction of these 2, but none that have the same pedigree yet.

 

Rick Pitino is a phenomenon of coaching. I don't think he has transcended the game. If anything the game has changed him, which shows true greatness IMO. Let's take some past examples....

 

Denny Crum - HOF, won over 700 (I think) games, went to 5 or so Final Fours, and won two championships...his downfall was the public's opinion that the game passed him by......he wasn't willing to change.

 

Dean Smith - Mr. Four Corners himself, was amazing, his record is almost un-matchable (stretch for an actual word), but also had to finally concede to his age and the in-ability to up-grade his style.

 

John Wooden - you can't really argue with the Wizard of Westwood, what he did will never be matched again, yet most of us know, he couldn't even mirror that success in today's day and age....

 

That's where I come back to a guy like Mike Krzyzewski....he was at the top of his game, much like Tiger, he had to change his whole stance. I know that previous statement is a stretch, BUT he now plays a matchup zone, and has gone away from a lot of what got him success in the past 20 years. Duke is experiencing growing pains because of that. Will they get back to the mountain top on his watch? I hope, we don't really know, but it certainly appears as if they are at least headed on their way.

Thats what he pays his membership fees to do.
Would you guys rather address the actual topic, or just take shots at me?
The above isn't the FULL truth:

 

From 1980 - 1993.......

 

6 final fours (5 in a row, from 88-92)

2 runner's up

2 championships

 

let's make sure we post EVERYTHING

 

 

Umm no. Coach K became a head coach in 1975 at Army. His first 14 seasons run through 1989. We are talking about their overall first 14 seasons, not at one school.

 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_K

And you are comparing Army to Kansas and Florida?

 

No- the we are comparing the first 14 years of all these Coach's careers to put everything is some perspective. No one attacking the Duke Head Men's Basketball Coach. His accomplishments speak for themselves. I counted Marshall for Donovan when I did his stats. I was just looking for some perspective to Billy D in context with other Coaches from the very start of their careers. :thumb:

Would you guys rather address the actual topic, or just take shots at me?

 

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the one you quoted was defending you.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the one you quoted was defending you.

 

No, I was definitly not defending him. Although he has a right to do that it gets annoying.

 

As for the topic there are just so many great coaches right now. Its hard to come up with a decent list without leaving some very good coaches off.

No, I was definitly not defending him. Although he has a right to do that it gets annoying.

 

As for the topic there are just so many great coaches right now. Its hard to come up with a decent list without leaving some very good coaches off.

 

I took it as a he paid to be able to do that. Oh well.

 

But I do agree with your point about any list is going to leave off a great coach.

And you are comparing Army to Kansas and Florida?

 

No, we were starting at the beginning of each coaches career.

 

Tubby Smith - Tulsa

Billy Donovan - Marshall

Roy Williams - Kansas (which was on probation)

Mike Krzyzewski - Army

No, I was definitly not defending him. Although he has a right to do that it gets annoying.
Whatever. So is your vendetta ...

 

I didn't call anyone out. Just noted (and correctly so) that the opinions about Donovan have changed a bit over the last year. It's a "What have you done for me lately?" world.

Whatever. So is your vendetta ...

 

I didn't call anyone out. Just noted (and correctly so) that the opinions about Donovan have changed a bit over the last year. It's a "What have you done for me lately?" world.

 

Vendetta? Webster's dictionary has this for a definition of vendetta:

 

A blood feud; private revenge for the murder of a kinsman.

 

The last time I checked I was not caught up in anything like that. :lol:

 

And to simplify things I would not say I am even "feuding" with anyone.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.