Bengal Draft Scenario

So I was just thinking about this. With the addition of Odom and Geathers on the other side, it is obvious that we need DT's. And while this situation may not be the most likely, its possible.

Say we get to the 7th pick of the draft, the Patriots are up. The first six picks went something to this effect.

MIA-J.Long

STL-C.Long

ATL-M.Ryan

OAK(or trade with DAL)-D.McFadden

KC-R.Clady

NYJ-V. Gholston

Now, everyone and their brother is fairly sure that the Patriots want a corner because they lost Samuel and Gay. However, there is no consensus top CB this year, with Mike Jenkins from USF, Aqib Talib for Kansas, Leodis McKelvin from Troy and Domenique Rodgers-Cromartie from Tennessee State all being mentioned as the possible top corner. Also, Dorsey and Ellis are both still on the board. We know the Ravens are currently fairly happy with their D Line situation, and seem to probably be looking likely at one of the corners or possibly a QB.

My question being, if a situation like this were to occur, and it was possible to stay at our 9 spot and get that 7th pick also, whether it may be costing our 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder or maybe even our 1st rounder next year, if you were involved in the front office would you consider trying to move up and take both Sedrick Ellis of USC and Glenn Dorsey of LSU. Would the move be worth it?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was just thinking about this. With the addition of Odom and Geathers on the other side, it is obvious that we need DT's. And while this situation may not be the most likely, its possible.

Say we get to the 7th pick of the draft, the Patriots are up. The first six picks went something to this effect.

MIA-J.Long

STL-C.Long

ATL-M.Ryan

OAK(or trade with DAL)-D.McFadden

KC-R.Clady

NYJ-V. Gholston

Now, everyone and their brother is fairly sure that the Patriots want a corner because they lost Samuel and Gay. However, there is no consensus top CB this year, with Mike Jenkins from USF, Aqib Talib for Kansas, Leodis McKelvin from Troy and Domenique Rodgers-Cromartie from Tennessee State all being mentioned as the possible top corner. Also, Dorsey and Ellis are both still on the board. We know the Ravens are currently fairly happy with their D Line situation, and seem to probably be looking likely at one of the corners or possibly a QB.

My question being, if a situation like this were to occur, and it was possible to stay at our 9 spot and get that 7th pick also, whether it may be costing our 2nd rounder or 3rd rounder or maybe even our 1st rounder next year, if you were involved in the front office would you consider trying to move up and take both Sedrick Ellis of USC and Glenn Dorsey of LSU. Would the move be worth it?

First of all to get the 7th pick in the draft you have to give up more than a "2nd or 3rd roudner" or "maybe even our 1st rounder next year". Try adding all 3 of those together, then you might get the 7th pick in the draft. :lol:

First of all to get the 7th pick in the draft you have to give up more than a "2nd or 3rd roudner" or "maybe even our 1st rounder next year". Try adding all 3 of those together, then you might get the 7th pick in the draft. :lol:

Um.... I'm not laughing:irked:... If you look at last year alone, pick 14 was traded for a 1st, 2nd, and 6th, pick 17 was traded for a 1st, 3rd, and 6th, pick 22 was traded for a 1st and 2nd, pick 26th was traded for a 2nd,3rd, and 5th, and pick 28 was traded for a 1st and 4th.

Using all of that as a basis... I'd say something like a 1st, and 2 2nds; or a 1st, 2nd, and 2 3rds would be considered for moving up to the 7 spot.

I put the 1st rounder next year, 2nd, and 3rd rounder in there to be considered together. I would not expect someone to trade the 7th overall pick for a second rounder or to swap their first this year with our first next year... that would make no sense at all...

I wouldn't have wasted that much time with the scenario if it wasn't realistic...

The way you worded the original post was wrong...instead of 2nd or 3rd or next years first rounder, you should have said 2nd and 3rd and next years first...

The original wording made it sound as if any one of those picks would allow the Bengals to get the #7...which is not what you meant. At least, I don't think that's what you meant.

I don't think they would have to give up all of that. I mean the Pats would only be moving down 2 spots in the 1st round. So it would not take all of that for the trade to happen IMO...

Never mind I just read the first post again, and I agree it would take all of that. I didn't know he was talking about all being able to keep the 9th pick as well.

If that was the situation, where both top DTs are still available, I would do it in a heartbeat. I think that Dorsey will be taken by the Jets though or Kansas City. It does leave us with the 2nd rated DT because I do not think that the Pats would go after a DTwith their need for a CB.

If that was the situation, where both top DTs are still available, I would do it in a heartbeat. I think that Dorsey will be taken by the Jets though or Kansas City. It does leave us with the 2nd rated DT because I do not think that the Pats would go after a DTwith their need for a CB.

I can almost guarantee that the Jets won't take Dorsey...they run the 3-4 and they got their nose guard in Kris Jenkins. They won't take a 3 technique and try to convert him after having Dwayne Robinson not have much success doing that over the last 2 seasons.

I can almost guarantee KC won't take him either because they cut 2 offensive linemen this year and had 2 HOF guys retire in the last 2 years; they will go o-line.

I honestly think that a trade would be possible if both guys were available at 6 with someone like Green Bay or Carolina. So I don't think both guys would fall to the Bengals, but the teams in those spots set up for this to happen.

Um.... I'm not laughing:irked:... If you look at last year alone, pick 14 was traded for a 1st, 2nd, and 6th, pick 17 was traded for a 1st, 3rd, and 6th, pick 22 was traded for a 1st and 2nd, pick 26th was traded for a 2nd,3rd, and 5th, and pick 28 was traded for a 1st and 4th.

Using all of that as a basis... I'd say something like a 1st, and 2 2nds; or a 1st, 2nd, and 2 3rds would be considered for moving up to the 7 spot.

I put the 1st rounder next year, 2nd, and 3rd rounder in there to be considered together. I would not expect someone to trade the 7th overall pick for a second rounder or to swap their first this year with our first next year... that would make no sense at all...

I wouldn't have wasted that much time with the scenario if it wasn't realistic...

The price tag for the 7th pick will be much higher than the one you posted.

The way you worded the original post was wrong...instead of 2nd or 3rd or next years first rounder, you should have said 2nd and 3rd and next years first...

The original wording made it sound as if any one of those picks would allow the Bengals to get the #7...which is not what you meant. At least, I don't think that's what you meant.

:thumb::thumb:

What exactly do you suppose would be the price tag for the 7th pick...

Not for sure, I know New Orleans gave all their picks for 1st pick in the draft (Ricky Williams). It might coast two 1st rounders for the 7th pick...

Not for sure, I know New Orleans gave all their picks for 1st pick in the draft (Ricky Williams). It might coast two 1st rounders for the 7th pick...

Common now... That was like what? Ten years ago now? And no one else in the draft would have done that.

How much value is the difference in the 7th and 14th pick? I think a first and 2 2nds would be very reasonable. I think a first, 2 2nds, and a third would almost be a steal for the team giving up the early pick. Obviously I'm alone on this though.

Common now... That was like what? Ten years ago now? And no one else in the draft would have done that.

How much value is the difference in the 7th and 14th pick? I think a first and 2 2nds would be very reasonable. I think a first, 2 2nds, and a third would almost be a steal for the team giving up the early pick. Obviously I'm alone on this though.

There is a big difference between the 7th and 14th pick in the draft. I know the Ricky Williams trade was a long time ago, but it was just the first I could think of. I don't think the value of the picks have changed much in the last 10 years.