3 point line for elementary age kids

deceivingly slow

I agree and disagree. The most important factors are elbow in and release and follow through. I think it is a natural progression to start at the hip and then move to the shoulder and then the proper position. If the mechanics are correct it is not a tough transition for a player that practices alot.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree and disagree. The most important factors are elbow in and release and follow through. I think it is a natural progression to start at the hip and then move to the shoulder and then the proper position. If the mechanics are correct it is not a tough transition for a player that practices alot.

Based on what I've seen, though, a 4th grade boy for example has a difficult time keeping the elbow tight. To get the power they need, their elbow tends to flare out. I think kids (at all ages) either want to shoot a layup or a 3 pointer...no in between. You could certainly speed the natural progression from hip to shoulder to proper positioning by focusing on 10-15 ft shots. Eliminating the 3 point shot at early ages could help.

Not bragging or anything, but I have just about picture perfect form. When I was younger I only shot from about 15 feet in. I was bigger than everybody up until high school, so I played in the post until then and developed the form that I needed. When I got to high school and was moved to the perimeter I already had the form, I just needed the reps. Spending a summer and early season doing that and I became probably our best shooter throughout high school.

I bragged on myself to say this, I will do the same with my kid, no matter how big he is. Developing that form will be important for when he gets to a level that matters.

The only level that really matters is the NBA, although a college education can cost $100,000+. I agree the 3 point line should not exist until high school but if it is there kids are going to shoot behind it unless you are there every minute. I read somewhere that Wade Houston would make Alan quit playing everytime he caught him shooting behind the line.