Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands Baseball

Featured Replies

Never mind. You're saying he was punished on the gridiron.

 

I don't think you are correct as you now understand it. But even if you are, TG wasn't punished on the grid iron at all. If some one is saying that, they don't have a blooming clue. And that is a fact. It is ridulous for anyone to say that TG should have started at qb in front of Cecil when the Cecil boy leads his team (and he was definitely a leader) to the state championship.

 

And there is no pressure placed on players by Dale to concentrate only on football. That is a bunch of bunk that former multisport players like to throw out there. I've yet to hear a player or the father of a player ever tell me that Dale pressured a player to not play baseball or track. I can tell you for a fact that when my older son talked about going out for track to participate in field events, I talked to Dale about it. Dale told me it would be great if Ben did so because he thought Ben could help the track team. Dale's only concern: that if Ben was going to do so, he wanted Ben to do it full bore and not just be on the track team to screw around. And he wanted Ben to make sure he was running a lot and staying in condition.

 

Jordan Kramer ran track; Spenser Head ran track; Clay Cecil ran track; Zach Hurtt ran track; Cody Rosenhagen played baseball; Blake Newman played baseball; Donnie Brown played baseball last year to mention some football players that participated in other Spring sports. Wil Bardo, Austin Collinsworth, Brandon Roller and David Hogue all elected not to play basketball because they wanted to concentrate on football and not because any pressure placed on them by Dale. Again, I know this for a fact as they are some of my younger son's best friends and I've talked to them about it often.

 

If anything is causing some football players not to play baseball, its the Spring Break policy. Spring football and the desire to condition year around for football is already some incentive not to play baseball. Add to that the Spring Break policy and it results in some saying the heck with baseball. Which is a shame. And I don't want to hear that they must not be very committed to forego baseball for Spring Break. Spring Break at Highlands is a huge family tradition. For many families it is the one vacation that the family takes together the entire year.

 

I do know that some kids want to participate in other spring sports but worry about whether it will hurt them on the football team. Their concern is that if they are not conditioning full bore for football year round and other kids competing against them for starting positions on the football team are doing so, that such may result in them not starting. And that could be the case and should be the case. If one kid concentrates solely on football and becomes the better football player, he should start. If you can be the better football player while playing multiple sports, you should start. Life's simple if you don't try to complicate it. Surely no one thinks the multiple sport player should start at a football position in front of a better football player just because the multiple sport player plays multiple sports, do they? And I know that a lot of kids that played multiple sports previously gave up those sports because their earliest dreams were to win a state championship in football. That was more important to them than playing other sports so they gave up the other sports. Its that simple and for the life of me I cannot understand while people like to advocate some conspiracy theory about Dale pressuring kids not to play spring sports. It is simply not true.

  • Replies 80
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The third I was talking about was "Spring Break". But never mind.

 

Thanks, I didn't know what you were referring to and I can't read minds very well. :laugh:

Let's get this thread back to discussing Highlands Baseball.

Let's get this thread back to discussing Highlands Baseball.

 

Great idea.

Alright, this will be my one and only post about HHS baseball.

 

Dale has not discouraged kids from playing baseball to work on football. I've heard Dale encourage one particular kid to play baseball and when others have talked to him about missing spring football for baseball, he's been 100% supportive. Although baseball and football do a good job of trying to make everyone happy when spring football rolls around.

 

Now, before this coaching staff was in place, I'm not sure what Dale has done. But, as far as we know Dale has never tried to talk a kid out of playing baseball, at least in the last three years.

 

Honestly, it's good for the football program to have a successful baseball program...

 

Sticky...OUT!!!

Alright, this will be my one and only post about HHS baseball.

 

Dale has not discouraged kids from playing baseball to work on football. I've heard Dale encourage one particular kid to play baseball and when others have talked to him about missing spring football for baseball, he's been 100% supportive. Although baseball and football do a good job of trying to make everyone happy when spring football rolls around.

 

Now, before this coaching staff was in place, I'm not sure what Dale has done. But, as far as we know Dale has never tried to talk a kid out of playing baseball, at least in the last three years.

 

Honestly, it's good for the football program to have a successful baseball program...

 

Sticky...OUT!!!

 

 

Thank you. I hope your post puts this issue to bed once and for all. Now we can get back to talking about our possible successes this year. I for one, and I know there are many, many others, am excited about our baseball team this year. I can't wait for our first game against Pendleton County. Work hard boys; it will definitely pay off.

Who is slated to be the starting catcher for Highlands team this year?

 

 

Sam Liggett

Other players to watch this season will be Stephen Kowolonek, Teddy Abner, Chris Rizzo and Ben Watson.

And I don't want to hear that they must not be very committed to forego baseball for Spring Break. Spring Break at Highlands is a huge family tradition. For many families it is the one vacation that the family takes together the entire year.

 

I think this is a fair statement across Kentucky and probably the entire USA. But, As a baseball coach you can't decide not to play that week and let everyone go to Destin. Taking a week off basesball in the middle of the season sets your team back. What about the kids who can't go to Destin, they just sit at home and don't play? The obvious alternative is to go to Florida for Spring Break and play some baseball. Requires some fundraising obviously. The other alternative that I've not seen done is to let the seniors go on Spring Break if they choose and try and schedule lightly that week, ie no big district matchups with playoff seeding implications. (Last year Trinity let their Seniors go to prom and miss a big game against Lex Cath in the LIT.) The seniors come back and have about a month to earn their jobs back and get ready for districts. If I were coach I would also allow any younger siblings on the team to go with his senior brother and family without penalty.

And I don't want to hear that they must not be very committed to forego baseball for Spring Break. Spring Break at Highlands is a huge family tradition. For many families it is the one vacation that the family takes together the entire year.

 

I think this is a fair statement across Kentucky and probably the entire USA. But, As a baseball coach you can't decide not to play that week and let everyone go to Destin. Taking a week off basesball in the middle of the season sets your team back. What about the kids who can't go to Destin, they just sit at home and don't play? The obvious alternative is to go to Florida for Spring Break and play some baseball. Requires some fundraising obviously. The other alternative that I've not seen done is to let the seniors go on Spring Break if they choose and try and schedule lightly that week, ie no big district matchups with playoff seeding implications. (Last year Trinity let their Seniors go to prom and miss a big game against Lex Cath in the LIT.) The seniors come back and have about a month to earn their jobs back and get ready for districts. If I were coach I would also allow any younger siblings on the team to go with his senior brother and family without penalty.

 

I have a response, but I don't want to debate it any more. If Coach Johnson has the no Spring break policy, then by golly he's the head coach (and a dang fine one at that) and what he says goes whether I agree with it or not.

So how are things looking for the Birds up to this point in the preseason? What will the starting 8 look like? How many freshmen tried out for the team?

Are there any footballers that have come out?

And I don't want to hear that they must not be very committed to forego baseball for Spring Break. Spring Break at Highlands is a huge family tradition. For many families it is the one vacation that the family takes together the entire year.

 

I think this is a fair statement across Kentucky and probably the entire USA. But, As a baseball coach you can't decide not to play that week and let everyone go to Destin. Taking a week off basesball in the middle of the season sets your team back. What about the kids who can't go to Destin, they just sit at home and don't play? The obvious alternative is to go to Florida for Spring Break and play some baseball. Requires some fundraising obviously. The other alternative that I've not seen done is to let the seniors go on Spring Break if they choose and try and schedule lightly that week, ie no big district matchups with playoff seeding implications. (Last year Trinity let their Seniors go to prom and miss a big game against Lex Cath in the LIT.) The seniors come back and have about a month to earn their jobs back and get ready for districts. If I were coach I would also allow any younger siblings on the team to go with his senior brother and family without penalty.

 

Solution....schedule spring break games in Florida. Those whose families that usually vacation at that time can have their kids room with them and those that would be sitting around up in Northern Kentucky would be playing ball in Florida.

Doesn't Highlands scrimmage Beechwood this Saturday? Weather permitting obviously.

Doesn't Highlands scrimmage Beechwood this Saturday? Weather permitting obviously.

 

1:00 pm at Beechwood...

1:00 pm at Beechwood...

 

I hope its on BW's turf. I can't imagine any baseball field being ready for a scrimmage.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.