Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands Baseball

Featured Replies

Why do they become disinterested? It is obviously not because of the coaches from everything I hear and read on here.

  • Replies 80
  • Views 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe BHustle is referring to football becoming a higher focus as the boys get older.

A little trivia ? Who was the last 3 sport star at HHS????

 

Doesn't HHS have a Senior doing this very thing right now. I believe Zach Hurtt is by far the most underated athlete at Highlands. This kid is a beast in football as everyone saw first hand this year, a decent but very productive Basketball player, I believe he also is a stud on the track and field team. And , he was also a hair away from playing baseball and track both last year, which he would have been a 4 sport star. So, I guess to answer your question there may not be alot of multiple sport stars but then again I am not sure their are any kids other than Hurtt at Highlands right now that could pull off this feat and make it look so easy. Maybe a handfull of kids can do two sports at HHS but it takes a special kid to do three. :thumb:

Doesn't HHS have a Senior doing this very thing right now. I believe Zach Hurtt is by far the most underated athlete at Highlands. This kid is a beast in football as everyone saw first hand this year, a decent but very productive Basketball player, I believe he also is a stud on the track and field team. And , he was also a hair away from playing baseball and track both last year, which he would have been a 4 sport star. So, I guess to answer your question there may not be alot of multiple sport stars but then again I am not sure their are any kids other than Hurtt at Highlands right now that could pull off this feat and make it look so easy. Maybe a handfull of kids can do two sports at HHS but it takes a special kid to do three. :thumb:

 

If I remember correctly, Zach also was quite the swimmer when he was younger.

  • Author
Why do they become disinterested? It is obviously not because of the coaches from everything I hear and read on here.

 

Your right. The posting about the coaching staffs have been positive. I was referring to the the different interest the players develop as they get older. Please don't take this as a knock against the coaching staffs.

Your right. The posting about the coaching staffs have been positive. I was referring to the the different interest the players develop as they get older. Please don't take this as a knock against the coaching staffs.

 

Is it a different interest by choice or by pressure, both stated and implied by the coaches of other sports. I understand the importance of offseason weight training and spring football, but it should not come at the expense of a kid having to give up a spring sport that they have played since they were little in order to possibly get more snaps in the fall. Do the other sports at Highlands, both girls and boys, apply this same type of pressure on the kids? Lets face facts, free rides to college are very rare and kids only get to be kids once therefore I say play all the sports that you can while you can so that when your high school reunions come up you can look back with no regrets. Based upon earlier posts I would say that Sweep, Teddy and I are cut from the same cloth.

Is it a different interest by choice or by pressure, both stated and implied by the coaches of other sports. I understand the importance of offseason weight training and spring football, but it should not come at the expense of a kid having to give up a spring sport that they have played since they were little in order to possibly get more snaps in the fall. Do the other sports at Highlands, both girls and boys, apply this same type of pressure on the kids? Lets face facts, free rides to college are very rare and kids only get to be kids once therefore I say play all the sports that you can while you can so that when your high school reunions come up you can look back with no regrets. Based upon earlier posts I would say that Sweep, Teddy and I are cut from the same cloth.
Sweep was a fine athlete growing up. I believe he played all 3 sports thru his freshmen year. I think he gave up the round ball after the freshmen season. He almost played 4 yrs of baseball and had a great 4 yrs of hs. football. He played football in college. Now Tdyballgame, I thought he only played 4yrs. of football, maybe I'm wrong. And as for you I'm not sure what you did in high school? So could you tell me what kind of cloth that was ????
Is it a different interest by choice or by pressure, both stated and implied by the coaches of other sports. I understand the importance of offseason weight training and spring football, but it should not come at the expense of a kid having to give up a spring sport that they have played since they were little in order to possibly get more snaps in the fall. Do the other sports at Highlands, both girls and boys, apply this same type of pressure on the kids? Lets face facts, free rides to college are very rare and kids only get to be kids once therefore I say play all the sports that you can while you can so that when your high school reunions come up you can look back with no regrets. Based upon earlier posts I would say that Sweep, Teddy and I are cut from the same cloth.

 

Ask Jake Turner or Tony Guidugli about their PT this year in hoops! Messages were being sent!

If I remember correctly, Zach also was quite the swimmer when he was younger.

 

What would you expect from the product of "the Legend"!! It won't be too long and Zach will be sitting with Charlie hashing over "that undefeated season'!! :lol:

Ask Jake Turner or Tony Guidugli about their PT this year in hoops! Messages were being sent!

 

I'd say TG plays the appropriate amount of minutes. He doesn't really have the offensive skills needed to play a lot of varsity minutes on this particular team.

Ask Jake Turner or Tony Guidugli about their PT this year in hoops! Messages were being sent!

 

Were they really? Did Tony G play hoops last year? Who should these guys have gotten playing time over? What exactly was the message that was being sent?

Who is slated to be the starting catcher for Highlands team this year?

Mind you, I don't have a dog in this fight, er, discussion. A high school kid schould be free to choose which sport or sports he plays. I think we would all agree to that. If a kid who previously played three sports or two decides to give one or two up to concentrate on only one sport it should be his decision. No high school coach should tell a kid he must limit himself to just one, or gently prod him into this decision. If I were a high school coach of any sport I can see where having my kids year round would be what's best for my program. But the question here should be "What's best for the kids?" Isn't that what this is all about. We can let the Rick Pitino's and Urban Meyer's of the world decide what is best for their program. One question. If spring baseball was adpoted or if Coach Johnson wanted some of his pitchers to throw in the fall or have his hitters get some swings in, who were also football players. How would that go over?

With that said, wishing the Birds baseball team good luck this spring. Sounds like Coach Johnson has things moving in a good direction.

Didn't mean to rustle any feathers.

I'd say TG plays the appropriate amount of minutes. He doesn't really have the offensive skills needed to play a lot of varsity minutes on this particular team.

 

Never mind. You're saying he was punished on the gridiron.

The third I was talking about was "Spring Break". But never mind.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.