Mason County 71 Simon Kenton 70

Why were 10th region officials doing this game when the event was not hosted by a 10th region school?

As for the assistant, he has to be smarter than that in front of an official. Assistants are not allowed to question officials in such a manner. This has become a focal point of the last several years with the KHSAA.

You would think so. I don't know why other than the heat of the moment.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good question, why were they using 10th officials? There weren't too many games going on in the 9th not to use the 9th region officials. Not that they are any better but they do know the # of the player before going to the scorer's table. This crew had to be bad!

Good question, why were they using 10th officials? There weren't too many games going on in the 9th not to use the 9th region officials. Not that they are any better but they do know the # of the player before going to the scorer's table. This crew had to be bad!

Don't know for sure but everywhere we go in the 8th, 9th and 10th whatever the home school is supplies the officials from their region and Scott is a 10th region school.

Don't know for sure but everywhere we go in the 8th' date=' 9th and 10th whatever the home school is supplies the officials from their region and Scott is a 10th region school.[/quote']

Was this game played at Scott? That would make a little more sense.

I thought the event was hosted by Dixie Heights and Simon Kenton though. I figured they would just have 9th region officials do all the games since all the sites were in NKY

SK is in the 8th.

Scott is in the 10th.

Dixie is in the 9th.

I think a pattern is developing at SK. Every big game the coach's put so much verbal pressure on the girls they do not perform well. But I think that the biggest problem is that the coach can not handle big games that are intense and are pressure packed. I think every big game he or his son gets a "T."

What ever gym the games were played at is who supplied the Referrees. The two coaches from Simon Kenton worked the officials hard the entire game. The techincal game right in front of the Simon Kenton bench in the fourth quarter. It helped to fuel Mason's comeback. There were alot said about the 10th Region officials during and after the game. Yes Mason is in the 10th Region but was not the home team and had nothing to do with the officials. And yes I agree with an earlier post that after the techinal the whistle did seem to be a little tighter on Simon Kenton but Coaches from Simon probably led to that. Mason played Highlands at Simon Kenton two days earlier with 8th Region officials and Highlands shot 36 FT to Mason's 8. Mason was not happy with this but we knew Simon Kenton did not have anything to do with it. It is just the nature of the beast.

SK is in the 8th.

Scott is in the 10th.

Dixie is in the 9th.

I think a pattern is developing at SK. Every big game the coach's put so much verbal pressure on the girls they do not perform well. But I think that the biggest problem is that the coach can not handle big games that are intense and are pressure packed. I think every big game he or his son gets a "T."

I think it is kind of hard to question the coaching at SK, he has had more success than anyone else at the school. I agree he can be hard on the girls but if these girls are as good as they say they are then they should be able to handle being yelled at. I mean I constantly hear how one girl is a major D-1 player, but if she can't take being yelled at by her high school coach then how in the world will she be able to play in front of thousands and getting yelled at by a college coach? You can put some blame on the coaches as far as losing the big games but you need to put just as much blame on the players.

What ever gym the games were played at is who supplied the Referrees. The two coaches from Simon Kenton worked the officials hard the entire game. The techincal game right in front of the Simon Kenton bench in the fourth quarter. It helped to fuel Mason's comeback. There were alot said about the 10th Region officials during and after the game. Yes Mason is in the 10th Region but was not the home team and had nothing to do with the officials. And yes I agree with an earlier post that after the techinal the whistle did seem to be a little tighter on Simon Kenton but Coaches from Simon probably led to that. Mason played Highlands at Simon Kenton two days earlier with 8th Region officials and Highlands shot 36 FT to Mason's 8. Mason was not happy with this but we knew Simon Kenton did not have anything to do with it. It is just the nature of the beast.

I think this post brings to light a good point about coaching and refing in general. It doesn't matter who the officials are or how bad or good you perceive them to be, teams must be able to adjust to the officiating.

Off the top of my head I cannot remember one call that won or lost a game I have ever watched. Do calls effect the flow of the game? No doubt. But by the fourth quarter of a game, a team should know what to expect from the officials and adjust accordingly. Most officials don't want to decide the games at the end and are going to try to be consistent to what they've been calling the previous three quarters whether you feel they've been good or bad.

Officials are easy targets and that comes with the territory, but until you witness a team that has played a flawless game and a coach that has made every correct decision, please quit blaming the officials or put the stripes on yourself and do a better job.

I agree great Defense, and Chambers did dominate for most of the night but Lacey Cline brought the girls back as she scored 15 of her 17 points in the fourth quarter including 9 of 10 from the line in the fourth.

Late in the game, from what I've observed in watching Mason County, Lacey Cline drives to the basket, sometimes out of control, and forces up a shot just to get fouled (especially when she only has, for example, 2 points, and seems to be out of frustration). This gives her the opportunity to get free throws and get more points. Most of her shots look like circus shots, and I'm actually surprised at how many go in. How she does it, I don't know.

Agreed, but losing #11 hurt bad and it had nothing to do with Scott,MC,SK or the 10th region just a very bad call by a ref who may have been disgruntled over a comment from the bench.

I think it is kind of hard to question the coaching at SK, he has had more success than anyone else at the school. I agree he can be hard on the girls but if these girls are as good as they say they are then they should be able to handle being yelled at. I mean I constantly hear how one girl is a major D-1 player, but if she can't take being yelled at by her high school coach then how in the world will she be able to play in front of thousands and getting yelled at by a college coach? You can put some blame on the coaches as far as losing the big games but you need to put just as much blame on the players.

I leave it like this, no way could he ever coach a boys team and treat the players like that. Humiliating players is not the answer. No matter what level, if any, they will be playing at following high school.

I leave it like this, no way could he ever coach a boys team and treat the players like that. Humiliating players is not the answer. No matter what level, if any, they will be playing at following high school.

Agree very strongly tou can't just be negative constantly and expect it not to affect how the girls play.

Agreed' date=' but losing #11 hurt bad and it had nothing to do with Scott,MC,SK or the 10th region just a very bad call by a ref who may have been disgruntled over a comment from the bench.[/quote']

I agree it did hurt, but remember the referee that called the technical was not the one who called the confusing fifth foul on #11.

I believe that his style of coaching is why Simon Kenton will never win the Region. There is never any reason to humilate anyone.

I have to disagree about the coaching at SK. He could coach boys very easily with his style which is more suited for boys than girls. That does not make him a bad coach though. Girls have a hard time with constant negativity and cannot separate the two- boys usually can and are more use to that within sports. Have you not heard a football coach lay into his team? All the time, in your face, etc.

Coach Stowers is a good coach - he is demanding of his players as he should be. Players need to adapt and learn how to respond appropriatiely. It is not like the players don't know what to expect. The problem I see with girls is that they take everything as negative criticism not coaching - it is hard for them to not see it that way when that is all they hear. They are just too emotional and cannot separate the two.