Bill puts foot firmly in mouth?

I have a question....What is the context in which Bill made that statement? I'd be interested to know what he was asked, or what comment was made that he replied to. I hate these kinds of threads, where we get a statement to make fun of, but nothing is supplied that gives the whole story.

Here is the clip.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/07/watch-bill-clinton-says-_n_80231.html

The first line is that "We can't be a new story," and he is basically responding to criticism by John Edwards (your guy, RM :cool:) that the Clinton's are old news and represent the status quo, and that he is the candidate for change.

The overwhelming feeling is that Billy also wanted to include the phrase "black" but had to restrain himself from including it. Obviously, that is speculation.

Certainly, it was a quip intended to get a laugh out of the small crowd but ten will get you twenty he wishes he had it back.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a question....What is the context in which Bill made that statement? I'd be interested to know what he was asked, or what comment was made that he replied to. I hate these kinds of threads, where we get a statement to make fun of, but nothing is supplied that gives the whole story.

My understanding from the news reports he was at a college coffee bar and was asked about Hillary's disappointing loss in Iowa.

The context was that Bill Clinton implied to a group of reporters at a campagin event that Hillary is being discriminated against by voters and the media because she is short, middle aged, and a female. He knew that his remark would get widespread media coverage. In essence, he was saying, "You people should be ashamed of yourselves for picking on my wife because she is not an attractive male candidate." It is something that President has said before, but he is varying the wording of his message for maximum media coverage.

The question is, can Americans be conned into electing a poorly qualified white woman to the presidency out of guilt? Is it time for Bill to pull out all of the stops and start wagging his finger at us?

I truly doubt that Bill misspoke. The people who believe that he stuck his foot in his mouth would more likely sympathize with Hillary, which obviously was his objective.

The context was that Bill Clinton implied to a group of reporters at a campagin event that Hillary is being discriminated against by voters and the media because she is short, middle aged, and a female. He knew that his remark would get widespread media coverage. In essence, he was saying, "You people should be ashamed of yourselves for picking on my wife because she is not an attractive male candidate." It is something that President has said before, but he is varying the wording of his message for maximum media coverage.

The question is, can Americans be conned into electing a poorly qualified white woman to the presidency out of guilt? Is it time for Bill to pull out all of the stops and start wagging his finger at us?

She is as qualified with her experience as any.

I do think Bill is going to be the attack dog of the campaign.

She is as qualified with her experience as any.
She is the most qualified of the three Democratic front runners. She is not as qualified as any of the Democratic also-rans and she is less qualified than any of the Republican candidates. Hillary does not have the 35 years of public service that she touts on the campaign trail.

That being said, Clinton is more qualified than either Obama or Edwards, which is why I hope she wins her party's nomination.

Here is the clip.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/01/07/watch-bill-clinton-says-_n_80231.html

The first line is that "We can't be a new story," and he is basically responding to criticism by John Edwards (your guy, RM :cool:) that the Clinton's are old news and represent the status quo, and that he is the candidate for change.

The overwhelming feeling is that Billy also wanted to include the phrase "black" but had to restrain himself from including it. Obviously, that is speculation.

Certainly, it was a quip intended to get a laugh out of the small crowd but ten will get you twenty he wishes he had it back.

They knew what he "wanted" to say?!?!?! ESP?