Will Billy Gillispie make it past Season one?

ADopted ADmiral

Will Billy G make it past season one?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Will Billy G make it past season one?

• Yes
    • No

Pitino started off 14-14 in his first year, but I don't think Billy G can keep this UK team at .500....
I agree. With the mess that Eddie Sutton left Pitino and the transfer of the team's best would-be returning players, I think most people would agree that Pitino exceeded expectations. Few people expected a .500 season.

This season opened with expectations that Gillespie would put a respectable team on the court and play a more up tempo style. Kentucky's opponents seem to be scoring at a faster pace this season, but I don't think this is what most of us had in mind.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. With the mess that Eddie Sutton left Pitino and the transfer of the team's best would-be returning players, I think most people would agree that Pitino exceeded expectations. Few people expected a .500 season.

This season opened with expectations that Gillespie would put a respectable team on the court and play a more up tempo style. Kentucky's opponents seem to be scoring at a faster pace this season, but I don't think this is what most of us had in mind.

But it isn't like the Pitino-Sutton situation. Tubby left Billy G more than enough talent to win games. This team shouldn't be 6-7. I didn't expect Kentucky to go all out crazy this season and win 30 games, but I did expect a good year and maybe break 22-24 wins. Now, I just don't see that happening...

From what do you base that statement on?? What coach has been fired before 5 years because the team didn't play up to expectation?

Two bad years erased 8 good ones for Tubby. Do you really believe he would last 4 years to see that 5th year happen? Really???

Pitino started off 14-14 in his first year, but I don't think Billy G can keep this UK team at .500....

The players on that team had the most heart of any UK team ever. This team looks like they don't care if they lost or not.

I use whatever my employer provides me to work with. Most of us don't have the luxury of throwing away the materials and tools that our predecessors used and then buying all new stuff with the owner's money.

Just an observation but Tubby had an office with a better view given to him, than BCG did.

Please. Coach's have it a lot worse than what UK does and they are doing a whole lot better than Kentucky. Tubby Smith won with these boys, why can't Billy G? Also, if Tubby is coaching this team, I don't think they are this bad...

What coach's have it worse? I'm not bashing Tubby Smith at all. All I'm saying is that your 5, 4 and 3 star players are not playing like their rating. Tubby won with these boys when they were injury free. I don't recall Meeks or Jasper sitting out this many games for injuries last year.

What coach's have it worse? I'm not bashing Tubby Smith at all. All I'm saying is that your 5, 4 and 3 star players are not playing like their rating. Tubby won with these boys when they were injury free. I don't recall Meeks or Jasper sitting out this many games for injuries last year.

Honestly, injury or no injury, should Kentucky have lost to G.W.??

Honestly, injury or no injury, should Kentucky have lost to G.W.??

Ky should have not lost to G.W., San Diego, UAB, or played Stony Brook as close as they did. I just don't think it is all BCG fault. I like Tubby Smith as a coach. I think he is a very smart man to get out of UK when he did. Tubby saw that the program was going downhill talent wise and I feel that is why he left. Tubby Smith's recruiting was not where it should be either. But I really don't blame all that on him. With kids leaving early for the NBA, I don't think you can put all your stock in recruiting all McDonald's All Americans. If you do and all leave early, then you're back to square one. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Tubby was trying to recruit kids that would stay 4 years in the program instead of the kids that would stay a year or two and then leave. Teams like Gonzaga, George Washington, West Virginia have advanced farther in the NCAA tourney in the last few years with senior oriented players. Tubby just didn't recruit enough quality players in the last few years to keep the program up where it needed to be. I just don't feel that is BCG's fault that UK is not playing the ball we're used to. I would like to give him a chance, and if he does not produce, let him go.

You've heard the old saying " You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s---." I think we just need some more chicken salad.

What NCAA penalties and major public scandals? This is the 2nd time I have heard about these things from posters on here and it doesnt hold any water.

Well, it kinda does. BCG will definately be around UNLESS he does something to warrant a firing. He was previously charged with 2 DUIs in the past with one of those charges were eventually dropped. I think that is was he was refering to.

I think Mike DeCoursey said it best on 1530 the other day. He compared Billy G's job to someone restoring a house. It's all about the finished product. He also said most knew it was going to be a rough season, UK was mediocre last season and then lost their best player to the NBA. I'm not pleased with the situation but I also expected things to be bad for a few seasons.

I think Mike DeCoursey said it best on 1530 the other day. He compared Billy G's job to someone restoring a house. It's all about the finished product. He also said most knew it was going to be a rough season, UK was mediocre last season and then lost their best player to the NBA. I'm not pleased with the situation but I also expected things to be bad for a few seasons.

Losing Morris and getting Patterson is a wash at worst, might have improved UK at best.